Skip to main content

There was a conversation between some pros the other day about the best BBCOR bats that they used to mash with. It was interesting and funny to hear them argue about it. What were the best bats when your kids played?

My son has only been using BBCOR for a couple years, but during that time I’d say the 2019 red Meta has been the best. Although the Demarini The Goods may take its place.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BBCOR started the year my son hit college. It was interesting to see plenty of college recruits fail their first year. I would have thought they got enough hitting challenge with wood in the summer. As for best BBCOR bat my son was faced with, “We use DiMarinis. Love it or don’t play.” He had never liked the balance of the DiMarinis. He used an ExoGrid through high school.

One of his travel teammates got suspended over his glove at his college. He sewed the brand of the sponsored glove over the logo on his glove he liked and got caught. Equipment sponsorship is serious stuff with the colleges. It’s beaucoup bucks to the school and the coach.

Last edited by RJM

How long has he been hitting that Rawlings? I’m trying to find a place around here where my son can demo some one piece bats. I imagine he’d get a little more feel similar to the wood bat compared to no feel with the 2 piece.

He's been swinging the 5150 since HS, with the exception of one year he went with Marucci Cat (also excellent bat).  He's now going to be a soph in college and still swinging 5150.  Thats what he likes about it...the feel & feedback.  Hates the noodle / no feel of 2 piece bats.  

I thought that was the point of the BBCOR standard, that there wouldn't be a "best" bat. I guess maybe a bigger sweet spot, and maybe some bats didn't butt up against the standard. I know the kid said the Rawlings bats he had to use his first year of college were "dead".

Not sure how long ago that was but the 1st & 2nd year of BBCOR the bats were like hitting with a wet newspaper.  

The old white Easton XL1! I think it was the first version of the XL1. It is a rocket launcher. But the issue is that they don't last. The barrel wobble is so common with these bats. We have had 4 of them in the past year and a half. 3 of them ended up with the wobble. I am just waiting on the last one we have to have the same issue. We played mostly wood tournaments this summer. Our last tournament was metal bats. I brought the XL1 to batting practice and the kids were shocked by the bat. Half the team ended up using it in the game.

I also still think the black/yellow Easton S1 is an all time great.

For most recent bats:

The Goods
Red Meta Prime
Blue Meta
Rawlings Quatro (green barrel with black handle and the all black version)

As you can tell, my son likes swinging 2 or 3 piece bats.

Last edited by ARCEKU21
@SoCal OG posted:

He's been swinging the 5150 since HS, with the exception of one year he went with Marucci Cat (also excellent bat).  He's now going to be a soph in college and still swinging 5150.  Thats what he likes about it...the feel & feedback.  Hates the noodle / no feel of 2 piece bats.  

My boys tried the 5150(Dad loved the price), but the Velo felt less clunky to them. Same idea, though. Feels more like an Ash bat, though nothing feels quite like that. I find even the Maple bats don't give that much feedback.

@57special posted:

My boys tried the 5150(Dad loved the price), but the Velo felt less clunky to them. Same idea, though. Feels more like an Ash bat, though nothing feels quite like that. I find even the Maple bats don't give that much feedback.

Velo is good too.  My son just preferred the extra heft of the 5150.  His favorite part is laughing at the guys who have $400 bats but still cant hit the ball as hard as his $150 bat.

RJM: "One of his travel teammates got suspended over his glove at his college. He sewed the brand of the sponsored glove over the logo on his glove he liked and got caught. Equipment sponsorship is serious stuff with the colleges. It’s beaucoup bucks to the school and the coach"

Wow. Was he bragging about doing it?  How did they notice? Who noticed?

@Tug Tide posted:

Has anyone gotten any feedback on the Green Easton. My son sent a video of it after hearing about it from “back in the day”. I watched that video and reminisced for an hour.  If they would start making the Black Magic again, I’d buy it and go hit a few rounds with him.

We have one on our team. The feedback I am getting from our guys is that it is heavy swinging. A couple of the smaller guys gave it a go in BP and after a few pitches said "nope" and went back to their normal bats. Two of the stronger kids tried to use it in a tournament and they ended up ditching it a few games in. It didn't get picked up again after that.

I am guessing that if Easton does will with this back, capturing that nostalgia market, we will see a new Black Magic in the near future.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

The old white Easton XL1! I think it was the first version of the XL1. It is a rocket launcher. But the issue is that they don't last. The barrel wobble is so common with these bats. We have had 4 of them in the past year and a half. 3 of them ended up with the wobble. I am just waiting on the last one we have to have the same issue. We played mostly wood tournaments this summer. Our last tournament was metal bats. I brought the XL1 to batting practice and the kids were shocked by the bat. Half the team ended up using it in the game.

I also still think the black/yellow Easton S1 is an all time great.

For most recent bats:

The Goods
Red Meta Prime
Blue Meta
Rawlings Quatro (green barrel with black handle and the all black version)

As you can tell, my son likes swinging 2 or 3 piece bats.

beware of the quatro....love the pop but SERIOUS durability issues!!

my son likes the feel of 1 piece but also prefers a heavier swinging bat. It's hard to find a 1 piece that isn't so balanced.  He swung the xl1 until this year but has settled on the demarini voodoo insane (he likes alloy more than comp) as he's gotten stronger bc the insane is a little more endloaded than the xl1.  he wants to try the goods bc it's supposed to be really stiff (for a 2 piece) but I don't feel like dropping 4 bills just to try it out when he has a bat he's happy with already (that I picked up for 125)

@edcoach posted:

beware of the quatro....love the pop but SERIOUS durability issues!!

Agree. We have had both versions of the bat. The highlighter barrel/black handle has great pop, but durability is questionable. Ours never cracked, but the connection piece slipped down. When I sent it in for warranty replacement, we received the black version. The black version was also a great bat and seemed to hold up better. We actually ended up giving the bat to a teammate about 2 years ago. He is still using the bat today today.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Agree. We have had both versions of the bat. The highlighter barrel/black handle has great pop, but durability is questionable. Ours never cracked, but the connection piece slipped down. When I sent it in for warranty replacement, we received the black version. The black version was also a great bat and seemed to hold up better. We actually ended up giving the bat to a teammate about 2 years ago. He is still using the bat today today.

Ive had to send 3 back, one was for the connection piece and 2 were cracked...they even sent me another one after they sent the first one which is all they guaranteed but since it was only like 2 months after they sent the other one they went ahead and sent it...the new one they sent also cracked but I have son use it in cages when team hits off the machine...he now has the red/black Demarini Insane and loves it.

They did not have BBCOR back in my day so I'll relay what my son has used. A few years ago in 7th grade he swung a 32" Rawlings Velo. He hit it well, but he never really liked the bat and was always trying other bats. The way he was hitting it I thought it was a great bat. His teammates loved it.

He didn't play 8th grade ball this year because of COVID, but he's preparing for freshman ball now and I just ordered him a Marucci CAT8 Connect Black. Back in travel ball he hit a CAT7 USSSA bat and loved it so I'm hoping he's happy with the CAT8 he finds under the Christmas tree this year.

So I always wondered how many people actually pay $1k or more for the red Meta. Apparently a lot. Took my son to his hitting yesterday. A bunch of D1 players and commits were using them. It was strange to not see them using wood for the first time in a very long time. Out of 15 or so dudes, there was 1 The Goods and 1 old Easton. The dude using the Easton was absolutely destroying balls. Exit velo routinely in the 100's.

So I bought my 18 yr old a 33” 30oz Stinger Nuke for Christmas and took it out to field a couple days ago to just take some swings off the tee and all I  can say is wow!!!!!  First swing and a little smile came on his face....that  never happens lol.  The bat is definitely endloaded but he says it swings extremely smooth.  The handle is pretty thin and tapers to a nice sized knob...just the right size to whip the bat through the zone.  He wanted to just have some fun and take some daddy swings at the field and hit 2 that went 385’...he marked them off.  He said he was swinging about 85% effort and since it was cold outside, the ball didn’t carry as much as in Warner temperatures.  If your son is looking for an endloaded bat that has high performance then this might be the bat for you...and it is a little over $200...unbelievable deal!

Attachments

Videos (1)
FF25267A-724C-4FC8-B17C-5E374CA578AC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.