Skip to main content

So I always wondered how many people actually pay $1k or more for the red Meta. Apparently a lot. Took my son to his hitting yesterday. A bunch of D1 players and commits were using them. It was strange to not see them using wood for the first time in a very long time. Out of 15 or so dudes, there was 1 The Goods and 1 old Easton. The dude using the Easton was absolutely destroying balls. Exit velo routinely in the 100's.

Every now and then you’ll see a red meta on a local travel team but national teams are a different story. Couple kids have them on every team at higher level tournaments.

So I always wondered how many people actually pay $1k or more for the red Meta. Apparently a lot. Took my son to his hitting yesterday. A bunch of D1 players and commits were using them. It was strange to not see them using wood for the first time in a very long time. Out of 15 or so dudes, there was 1 The Goods and 1 old Easton. The dude using the Easton was absolutely destroying balls. Exit velo routinely in the 100's.

My son has the red Meta (bought it when it first came out). He also has the black The Goods. He is set on The Goods. I keep shoving the red Meta in his bag when we go hit, but he always pulls out The Goods instead. He has even told me to sell his red Meta. But I am afraid that once the season starts he is going to want to use his Meta again.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

My son has the red Meta (bought it when it first came out). He also has the black The Goods. He is set on The Goods. I keep shoving the red Meta in his bag when we go hit, but he always pulls out The Goods instead. He has even told me to sell his red Meta. But I am afraid that once the season starts he is going to want to use his Meta again.

I’m afraid to buy one and then it getting banned. The LS rep at the Wilson Premier says no chance that would happen with a 3 year old bat though

Wow! That’s crazy. Imagine how much money has been spent on those in the second-hand market. Why would they wait 3 years? Wonder if so many have been altered they just decided to ban all of them.

@TerribleBPthrower At one of the more recent PG 13u tournaments in Vegas, one of the top teams in the country at the 13u level had a 2017 cf zen and balls were flying like crazy. 2-3 homeruns in the same game at BLD(300 foot fences) going over the 80 foot netting behind the fence. Opposing teams claimed that every player had their own 2017 cf zen but they all kept passing one around. Most claimed that it was shaved since the end cap popped off after of of these homeruns over the netting behind the fence. This is probably why they barely banned it. From firsthand experience, it can get EXTREMELY dangerous playing 12-13u baseball on the small fields when a big kid comes up with a Cf Zen. Would hate to see someone fake bunt with a CF Zen and slash one over to third. Crazy to see 100 MPH exit velocities from 13 year olds using the 2017 CF Zen. IMHO should have been banned years ago.

There was a conversation between some pros the other day about the best BBCOR bats that they used to mash with. It was interesting and funny to hear them argue about it. What were the best bats when your kids played?

My son has only been using BBCOR for a couple years, but during that time I’d say the 2019 red Meta has been the best. Although the Demarini The Goods may take its place.

The meta prime in blue was actually banned in 33".  Same bat as the red meta prime as far as I could tell.  They were selling for $1500 on eBay at one point point.   There is also a meta pwr prime that was very good but didn't get banned.  Meta is hands down the the best for smaller kids but they go dead over time.  If you have more size the one piece metal voodoos were good. I hear the newest Cat is very good.

Some will say it's the shooter not the arrow but there are definitely bats that were better than others.  The previously mentioned  -5 and -10 USSSA Zens and other Demarini CFs were lethal weapons.  I read a story about a guy in Texas who used a tool they use to find hot bats in softball tournaments  and college WS who said that the off the shelf Zen was hotter than a shaved bat.  I've seen them explode on contact. They were legendary, and dangerous.

Last edited by KennieProton

The meta prime in blue was actually banned in 33.  Same bat as the red meta prime as far as I could tell.  The were selling for $1500 on eBay at one point point.   There is also a meta pwr prime that is legal and very good but didn't get banned.  Meta is hands down the the best for smaller kids.  If you have more size the one piece metal voodoos were good. I hear the newest Cat is very good.

Some will say it's the shooter not the arrow but there are definitely bats that were better than others.  The previously mentioned  -5 and -10 USSSA Zens and other Demarini CFs were lethal weapons.

Not only BBCOR going for $1,500, old teammate payed 1,750 for a new in wrapper 2017 CF Zen. Only got to use it for about 5 months before COVID hit and bat was deemed illegal

The meta prime in blue was actually banned in 33".  Same bat as the red meta prime as far as I could tell.  They were selling for $1500 on eBay at one point point.   There is also a meta pwr prime that was very good but didn't get banned.  Meta is hands down the the best for smaller kids but they go dead over time.  If you have more size the one piece metal voodoos were good. I hear the newest Cat is very good.

Some will say it's the shooter not the arrow but there are definitely bats that were better than others.  The previously mentioned  -5 and -10 USSSA Zens and other Demarini CFs were lethal weapons.  I read a story about a guy in Texas who used a tool they use to find hot bats in softball tournaments  and college WS who said that the off the shelf Zen was hotter than a shaved bat.  I've seen them explode on contact. They were legendary, and dangerous.

The LS rep told me the only difference is the paint and the connection piece due to the red Meta having some breaking issues. The 2021 Meta is much different. They had to put some type of rings on the inside the barrel to meet the specs.

Just picked up a 33 The Goods for tbpt jr. Told him he’d have to show me he can swing it as good or better than the 32 blue Meta. The Goods bat speed is definitely a tick slower than the Meta. Exit velo using a Stalker Pro 2 is exactly the same. Tough to make a scientific comparison because of the different lengths, but when he bulks up a little more I imagine the 33 TG will outperform the Meta. For now though he’s going to use the Meta

Just picked up a 33 The Goods for tbpt jr. Told him he’d have to show me he can swing it as good or better than the 32 blue Meta. The Goods bat speed is definitely a tick slower than the Meta. Exit velo using a Stalker Pro 2 is exactly the same. Tough to make a scientific comparison because of the different lengths, but when he bulks up a little more I imagine the 33 TG will outperform the Meta. For now though he’s going to use the Meta

I noticed the same thing on our end with The Goods and Meta. He has the black The Goods and the red Meta. He wanted so bad to use The Goods. It was fine with average pitching but you could tell he was a tick slower than he was with the Meta. By chance, I ran into a new Voodoo One. That is now thee bat. Light swing weight and still packs a punch on the ball. It’s the first time he has used a one piece bat but it fits him better than both The Goods and Meta.

Last edited by ARCEKU21
@ARCEKU21 posted:

I noticed the same thing on our end with The Goods and Meta. He has the black The Goods and the red Meta. He wanted so bad to use The Goods. It was fine with average pitching but you could tell he was a tick slower than he was with the Meta. By chance, I ran into a new Voodoo One. That is now thee bat. Light swing weight and still packs a punch on the ball. It’s the first time he has used a one piece bat but it fits him better than both The Goods and Meta.

I wish I had seen this post 4 days ago, lol. Someone told me last night about the Voodoo as well. He said it’s super loud but his kid loves it

Justbats says it’s the same model as the 2020, just different paint

Last edited by TerribleBPthrower

My son got a new bat for Christmas-Stinger Nuke. Due to an injury, he has not been able to swing it until today. He loves it!!! Probably , more due to Mental Confidence , than anything else. But that doesn't matter. Confidence at the plate, is half the game. It's slightly more end-loaded than his's old Easton bat ( same weight and length -33/30). Therefore it may send the balls a little deeper, than his "balanced" bat. We'll see. I haven/t checked his exit Velo , off the T yet, as he is still recovering from a hip avulsion fracture. I'll up-date the metrics when he's at 100%. So far, though, he loves his Stinger!

P.S. : Sound is a bit different-more like a wood bat sound .

Ended up getting the Victus Nox for my son. He had the opportunity to Swing the VooDoo one, Goods, Meta Power 2021, Meta 2021, Cat 9 Connect and a couple others that were not close. His Fav 2 were the VooDoo and the Nox. Can not find the VooDoo anywhere and he said the next closest in weight was the Nox and he was able to get very little more Pop with the Nox without loosing swing speed. He said, the Power, Goods, and Cat9 connect all felt quite a bit heavier. And just didn't hit well with the Meta 2021. I personally feel there is not that much different between most of these (other then swing weight). But the comfort level with the the bat he chose was the best. And since 90% mental, I think it was a good buy.

@TxballDad posted:

Ended up getting the Victus Nox for my son. He had the opportunity to Swing the VooDoo one, Goods, Meta Power 2021, Meta 2021, Cat 9 Connect and a couple others that were not close. His Fav 2 were the VooDoo and the Nox. Can not find the VooDoo anywhere and he said the next closest in weight was the Nox and he was able to get very little more Pop with the Nox without loosing swing speed. He said, the Power, Goods, and Cat9 connect all felt quite a bit heavier. And just didn't hit well with the Meta 2021. I personally feel there is not that much different between most of these (other then swing weight). But the comfort level with the the bat he chose was the best. And since 90% mental, I think it was a good buy.

Academy actually had the Voodoo One on their site this morning in a 33". I was able to snag one for my son's teammate who has been looking for one.

@edcoach posted:

id agree with that (being heavy) but as big as the barrel is it feels balanced to me...usually uses end loaded bats

So my son has a friend that has a b5 and son took some swings with it the other day.  He told me he thought the ball didn’t carry as much as some other single piece alloys.  Also said it wasn’t great on mis-hits...one 18 yr old’s opinion.

@TxballDad posted:

How is your son liking the Nox? My son went back to his red Meta Prime. For some reason it is in his head that he just hits better with a multi piece bat as opposed to a one piece bat. But I have a feeling that the Meta Prime is on it's last leg since he has had it since 8th grade (he is a sophomore now). So contemplating grabbing a Nox the next size up so that he can use it the next year or two.

I've heard the B5 is super heavy from dads, but the kids love it. Guess we'll see next week when the games start.

B5 is a tank! Our organization got a bunch of them when they first came out. The first weekend we got them a couple of the kids took BP with them and took them to the tournament we played in. By Sunday they were no where to be found. The feedback we got was that it was just too heavy and not very forgiving on mishits. But if you were able to barrel one up, it was a rocket. I don't think I saw them the rest of the summer.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

How is your son liking the Nox? My son went back to his red Meta Prime. For some reason it is in his head that he just hits better with a multi piece bat as opposed to a one piece bat. But I have a feeling that the Meta Prime is on it's last leg since he has had it since 8th grade (he is a sophomore now). So contemplating grabbing a Nox the next size up so that he can use it the next year or two.

Son has been loving it. He practices with all the HS level guys from his Org (2024-2021) during optional practices on Sat and Sunday. Just about every bat you can think of is at those practices. Everyone is really good about letting people try out their bats before they get a new one. Since my son brought in the Nox, two more have been purchased and a couple people have it on backorder. What I have seen is the stronger guys (power hitters) have been going with the Goods and CAT 9 connect, meta power. Those that find balance bats are two light or are moving to a more end loaded bat like the Nox, select power. And the smaller guys that need or just like a balanced have been going with VooDoo Ones (when they can find one), Prime, Meta, and others.

Son likes the feel, no major hand ring on mishits (did have one ring him up off the connector piece, but no others. He shouldn't have swung on a left handed slider in on the hands, LOL). He is moving up from a USSSA -5 CF. And he has been surprised that the power has not dropped as much as he thought it was going to. It still dropped because the CF is crazy hot. But he was pleasantly surprised. I think the slight end load helps with that.

If you have any specific questions just let me know.

After watching the baseballbatbros, we went out and got an adidas aeroburner comp.  son said it was hot but too light (he likes endloaded bats).  Sold it to his buddy who had the meta before it got banned.  that kid likes light swinging bats so he loves the comp.  

then went and picked up the aeroburner hybrid and one piece (this was before the price run up so got them for about 200, combined).  the hybrid was too heavy for him (I swung it...it's a tank).  he liked the one piece in 34" (was swinging 33 and swings a 33.5 318 turn wood).  He said it was light but the extra length helped so it wasn't too light.

this was a few months ago.  he's been lifting through quarantine and has gotten pretty strong (405 dl at 6'2"/195 at 15 years old, up from 345 at 6'2"/180 in October).  he picked up the hybrid again last weekend to try it out and his eyes lit up after his first swing.  he's strong enough to handle it now and he loves it.  we'll see what he does against real pitching (front toss just isn't the same and he swings wood for his travel team) but, if he can handle it, that might be his gamer this HS season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.