Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can't speak for D-FW teams, but San Antonio Reagan should be a shoe-in for the District 26-5A championship. (Last year it went 16-0 in district play and was a regional finalist.) It has returning starters at 1B, 2B, SS, and 2 of 3 OF positions. Its pitching staff includes Matt Harrell, a fall transfer from San Antonio MacArthur who has signed with D1 Northwestern State in LA, and 6'4", 208-lb. Carter Hahn, who scored a "9" at a PG showcase and is expected to sign with a D1 this year. The only glaring gap is catcher. For the first time in many years, Reagan has no catcher with varsity experience.
quote:
How do you think the San Antonio Angels select team will be this summer.

To be honest, I have never heard of them. Currently, the top select teams for high school players in San Antonio are the South Texas Sliders and Lights Out, and to a lesser degree the San Antonio Wranglers, Hackers, and Xtreme Speed, which I've heard is merging with the Wranglers.
I am friends with Rudy Vasquez and he is an outstanding individual, coach, and pro scout for the L.A. Angels. He has one son who played for the Air Force Academy and another son who currently pitches for USC.

He is currently putting together a select team called the San Antonio Rays for younger players (I believe it's 10U but it could be 12U). I would highly recommend him and his team for younger players desiring to further their skills.
Coppell should be one of the top teams in the state and District 6-5A should be one of the toughest around this area...the Flower Mound schools are always good (I heard one of them has a bright new coach this year Cool)...Hebron, SLC and Lewisville...just no easy games.

On paper, District 5-5A looks a little down this year. Grapevine probably has the most returners across the board and should be the district favorite. Colleyville Heritage has good pitching back, but lost a bunch of offense...still they seem to find guys every year. L.D. Bell seems to always have a good team. Rob Stramp lost many starters at Keller as well, but will find a way to put a competitive team on the field. Keller Central may be the dark horse of the bunch as they are returning several key guys. Northwest has solid pitching back, so if the kids hit, they might be decent. I really don't know much about Euless Trinity and Fossil Ridge this year.
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbalm:
What new young and up-and-comers do I need to look at?

What teams do I need to go watch?

The Houston area has 2 National Championship teams with the majority of their players as 2012 Freshmen. The Houston Heat and Houston Banditos Black. Look for many of the players from these teams to be the rising stars in the coming years.

Now that Klien ISD and Cy-Fair ISD are in Region 2, the DFW guys may get a chance to see some of these players in a year or 2.

Heat
  • Ben Carl - Memorial
  • Kevin Pister - Memorial
  • Boomer White - Memorial
  • Aaron Rusinzky - Memorial
  • Beau Rathjen - Memorial
  • Drew Tolson - Memorial
  • Hayden Jones - Cy-Fair Langham Creek
  • Jacob Fowler - Klien Oak(2011)
  • Jonathan Bravo - Houston Christian
  • Kirby Holt - Houston Christian (2011)
  • Anthony DeJesus - FT. Bend (2011)

Banditos
  • Cory Geisler - Klien Collins
  • CJ Hinojosa - Klien Collins
  • Reese Jefferies - Klien
  • Dustin Theiss - Klien Oak
  • Hunter Kopycinski - St. Thomas

Look for Holt, Jones, White, Geisler, and Hinojosa to be 3 year lettermen.
The point is that players from 2 of the top youth teams in the Nation are feeding into Houston's high school baseball scene. The talent on these teams is exceptional and the boys have proven themselves at the highest level. Since the original post asked about young, up and coming talent, it's reasonable to mention them as they are the most accomplished group of incoming freshmen that Texas has produced in recent years. It's going to be fun watching these boys play and develop over the next 4 years.
quote:
Originally posted by kirk:
Junkball,

All that young talent didn't help Houston area last year...not one Houston team played in the State Championship game!

Thanks for the recognition Kirk. It's a far stretch for me but if you think our Houston 8th grade boys could have competed in the State playoffs, I'll take it as a complement.

How's the Freshman talent look in the Plano area? The area has always produced great players.
quote:
Look for many of the players from these teams to be the rising stars in the coming years.

Now that Klien ISD and Cy-Fair ISD are in Region 2, the DFW guys may get a chance to see some of these players in a year or 2.

What Junkball had to say was perfectly reasonable... take it easy on him, he's just trying to contribute some info on up and coming players in the Houston area. Happy New Year... baseball season is almost here! Big Grin
Last edited by Natural
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tychco:
Coppell should be one of the top teams in the state and District 6-5A should be one of the toughest around this area...the Flower Mound schools are always good (I heard one of them has a bright new coach this year Cool)...Hebron, SLC and Lewisville...just no easy games......QUOTE]

Flower Mound looks to be getting even better by adding an All Area Football player back onto their baseball roster...this young man has a tremendous amount of talent and even more desire.

This was in the DMN this morning:

Collin Ashley, Flower Mound, Sr.
Position: Utility - Height, weight: 5-11, 170
About Ashley: One of the area's top cornerbacks moved to receiver in 2008 and became one of the area's top all-around offensive threats. Caught 17 passes for 955 yards and 17 TDs. Averaged 36 yards per kickoff return, including one for a score, and 16 yards per punt return.
Did you know? Ashley started in center field as a sophomore. He took a year off from baseball but expects to play again.
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
quote:
Look for many of the players from these teams to be the rising stars in the coming years.

What Junkball had to say was perfectly reasonable... take it easy on him, he's just trying to contribute some info on up and coming players in the Houston area. Happy New Year... baseball season is almost here! Big Grin

Well, well.

Have you been dating Mother Terresa or something?

Seriously, does anybody have the top 100 list for 7 year olds?

The class of 2017 should be strong I heard.
Nope...nothing different going on in these parts... I just think Junkball2 was actually responding to the topic of the thread rather than offering smart-alek comments. It is too bad that so many who frequent this forum ignore the topic in favor of making fun of new posters. When he mentions the class of 2012 those players are freshman and the best will play all four years of high school. Those are names worth knowing for someone interested in high school baseball. Wink
Last edited by Natural
quote:
Originally posted by SWAC:
Based on what Junkball has mentioned, Tigerbalm I suggest you contact the summer baseball clubs. You can save yourself a lot of time. However, National Championships at the youth levels really does not mean a lot because players can change so much.

By your logic, Plano West's State Championship doesn't really matter much since kids change in college. Let me know how you are received by their players when you explain it to them. I guess I should tell my Freshman son to stop trying since it doesn't really matter.

Please let me know when it does matter. I'll tell my son he can slack off until then.
Good-eye,

2-3 years of player development is a big step. How likely is it for a top player to stop being a top player the very next year. Is past performance not the best tool to use in predicting next years performance? My point with the Heat and Banditos players is that they have proved their abilities on the field the last couple of years. They are not the type of players that might be good in a couple of years. They are exceptional players today and will only get better.

I looked up how Texas teams performed in the top pre-high (13 & 14 yr)national championships and no group has accomplished more than these players. Yes, I am a newbie to HS baseball. Is it unreasonable for me to think that several of these guys will be in the elite level of Texas or National HS players in 4 years?
quote:
Originally posted by kirk:
Junkball,

All that young talent didn't help Houston area last year...not one Houston team played in the State Championship game!

Yes, but they have in 21 out of 27, 5A championship games on record and won 16 out of 27. Im quite sure that young talent will come in handy over the next few years.

Best of luck to all in 2009.
Last edited by H5AB
Hi JunkBall and H5, and all of those non-NorTex posters,

Please keep posting your posts here most people on the site enjoy hearing about up and coming players.

Also most of us realize Houston and other non-NorTex teams both summer and high school play great Texas baseball.

H5 - when does the Houston pre-season rankings come? When they do please post the link. I travel to Houston often and always try to catch a game or two in your area.
quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
For those of you that don't know, Mother Teresa graduated from high school in Houston.

...and then promptly started passing out rice in the Far East as soon as she realized her HS baseball career was overrated.

(JUST KIDDING...please don't anybody waste time flexing your well-refined sensibilities over that one. Besides, everyone knows she had crazy-good Cricket skills - that she must have developed in the Houston-area select system)
quote:
Originally posted by JunkBall2:
Is it unreasonable for me to think that several of these guys will be in the elite level of Texas or National HS players in 4 years?

Nope, some will and some won't. It is an exciting time for these players and their parents. I think maybe what some of these old, gray-haired posters are gently trying to say is that it is still a big, 4-year leap from successful 14U ball to state and national elite player status.

Having said that, it sounds like those boys you mentioned are off to a great start so far.
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
For those of you that don't know, Mother Teresa graduated from high school in Houston.

...and then promptly started passing out rice in the Far East as soon as she realized her HS baseball career was overrated.

(JUST KIDDING...please don't anybody waste time flexing your well-refined sensibilities over that one. Besides, everyone knows she had crazy-good Cricket skills - that she must have developed in the Houston-area select system)

Funniest post in a long time.
Hey JunkBall 2, I'm a newbie too...not throwing any jabs, just commenting on how players plateau at certain ages...as I mentioned in my reply, some players are just gifted sooner that others and it sounds like those teams, which most everyone has heard of, have a bunch of terrific players that can play! I'm positive we will hear some of those boys names for years to come...Blue Skies-
quote:
Originally posted by ACowboyFan:

H5 - when does the Houston pre-season rankings come? When they do please post the link. I travel to Houston often and always try to catch a game or two in your area.

Friday Jan. 9 "Live" from Waco at the ANNUAL THSBCA Convention on Houston 5A Baseball as we kick off our 10th season on the website and 3rd season on the radio.
Last edited by H5AB
quote:
Originally posted by H5AB:
quote:
Originally posted by ACowboyFan:

Friday Jan. 9 "Live" from Waco at the ANNUAL THSBCA Convention on Houston 5A Baseball as we kick off our 10th season on the website and 3rd season on the radio.

Even though I am from D/FW, I'll definitely look you guys up while I'm down in Waco. I used to take my teams and play down there in the St. Pius/St. Thomas Tournament. Great baseball down there.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.