Skip to main content

My son is a freshman at a NAIA school. He signed on as a pitcher. In the fall program he worked out at 1st and pitching, and led the team in hitting.The coach told him he was a bright spot on the pitching staff and they also need to get his bat in the lineup, come the season. He worked out with the pitchers and the infielders in the preseason. Now into season (18 games) he has DH and backed up the Sr. 1st baseman in some games (4 for 7, 2 rbi)but he has not thrown a pitch! Should he stick with just one position or just wait it out? He thinks by trying to do both it hurt his chances of playing. Is it possible to do both or will he have to pick one or the other????? THANKS!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He's a freshman, he's got time.

Perhaps the coach wants to see his demeanor in games at bat and at first before he adds the pressure of pitching, not wanting to throw him in at the deep end before your son gets familiar with the pool. (Sometimes keeping these metaphors consistent just gets weird.)

College baseball isn't a continuation of hs; in college, everybody's good!
Last edited by Orlando
Advise have been good so far. As a freshman, just do what the coach wants. Don't put in your son's forehead a sign of "problematic". I am sure that probably by next year he will be at one position, the best for him and for the team. And be prepared, because in college positions are not guaranteed.
quote:
will he have to pick one or the other

It might be that HE may never have the option to chose. Depending on the organization and the coaching styles, players may not be allowed to play where they want. Many coaches play their players where they think they can best help the team. I can remember a conversation I had with my son the catcher. He called home at the beginning of conference play during his sophomore year of college and told me the coach had asked (told) him to pitch (after being recruited as a catcher and had been the starting catcher as a freshman). I asked him to "remind" the coach he was signed as a catcher and his reply was "I can't do that". Needless to say he pitched and DH'ed his sophmore year. Thankfully he was allowed to return to catching his junior year because of a coaching change. He did well catching during his junior year and was drafted as a catcher and is currently playing third base.
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo:
[QUOTE]will he have to pick one or the other

It might be that HE may never have the option to chose. Depending on the organization and the coaching styles, players may not be allowed to play where they want. Many coaches play their players where they think they can best help the team. I can remember a conversation I had with my son the catcher. He called home at the beginning of conference play during his sophomore year of college and told me the coach had asked (told) him to pitch (after being recruited as a catcher and had been the starting catcher as a freshman). I asked him to "remind" the coach he was signed as a catcher and his reply was "I can't do that". Needless to say he pitched and DH'ed his sophmore year. Thankfully he was allowed to return to catching his junior year because of a coaching change. He did well catching during his junior year and was drafted as a catcher and is currently playing third base.

Fungo, old fogie, highly regarded and beloved old timer, you are SOOOOO right.
Coaches make the decisions on what is right for the TEAM.
I remember my son's NLI had the scholarship amount only, not the words "pitcher". Big Grin
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.