Skip to main content

I haven't been logging into HSBBWeb as much lately as I used to. In fact, its been a gradual decrease in JH-minutes here on this fine website. There isn't a particular reason I haven't been logging in...actually, I have gone on random HSBBWeb hiatuses in the past for no reason. 

I logged in this evening to take a look at the new format, which I know Julie has been working diligently and efficiently on providing to our community. And might I say, what an unbelievably great update this is. The new interface, while significantly different, provides us with an outstanding and simple-to-navigate landscape that I am almost positive will further enhance the growth and magnitude of this wonderful community.

A few individuals here have become aware of the following information, but I'd like to share it with everyone who is involved with this community directly now that the official start date draws nearer. I came here as an ignorant egotistical 15-year-old lefty, not really with much direction or much experience in the baseball world. The only thing I knew was that I loved the game and I wanted to learn.

I've grown quite a bit since joining the HSBBWeb as a member. During that time, my baseball career kicked into full gear and I progressed through the roller coaster ride that is competitive high-level team sports. I've learned to hone my passion and zest for the game into some specific ideologies and theories, and thus have formed somewhat of a significant direction that I intend to pursue into my future professional life.

It is certainly not coincidental that the time I've spent maturing as a baseball player and as an individual correlates with my time absorbing the information and knowledge that has been accumulated here in this community. Whether it be from an anonymous poster speaking about some sort of American Legion tournament in the midwest or a poster I've become familiar with discussing the kinetic science behind the sport, each different piece of information I've received has been beneficial to me.

To a greater extent, this website has enabled me to form literal friendships with many posters. I've met some of you, spoken with some of you on the phone, exchanged humorous Facebook comments with some of you. With some of you, I've even met family members, been granted access to workout facilities and been provided references within a particular field I may have been interested in pursuing at that point in time.

Through the HSBBWeb, I've gotten assistance in being recruited to play college baseball, summer collegiate baseball, workouts, injury rehabilitation, financial advice. Through the HSBBWeb, I've become a published writer and a radio talk show host.

Through all of the years I've been a member here, directly or indirectly, each and every minute I spend on this site has influenced me as an individual and as a baseball player. The knowledge that I have gathered here, in my opinion, is second to only the knowledge I've gained from being on the field in terms of knowledge specific to the game. And the connections I've made, I assure you, can be directly traced back to this community.

One such connection is something in particular that I'd like to focus on here. About a year and a half ago, I received a phone call from Cleveland Dad (CD as he is widely known here) asking if I'd be interested in joining him on the HSBBWeb Radio Show, a new idea he'd come up with. I said sure...it seemed like an easy way to pass the time for the remainder of the summer and it'd be fun speaking with some baseball people. And boy...was it ever. We spoke to countless individuals- high school coaches, college coaches, professional scouts, athletic trainers, authors, college players, professional players, etc. It was truly a great experience getting to know each of these individuals we interviewed and I had a lot of fun while we did it.

I kept in touch with many of the individuals we interviewed over time, and some of those have turned themselves into working professional relationships. One individual I kept in touch with was a man named Vince Gennaro (www.vincegennaro.com), whom we had interviewed over a year ago. Vince and I exchanged thoughts and information about the game of baseball for a while, and gained a mutual respect for one another.

Just last month I found myself at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, working for VInce and the Society for American Baseball Research at the Baseball Winter Meetings. It was during my time in Nashville that I was afforded the opportunity to interview for several positions within professional baseball for the future.

Now that my graduate degree will be finishing up in May, everything is beginning to fall into place. One of the interviews that I had in Nashville turned into an official job offer, one which I accepted and will begin in June.

I will be working in the Advanced Scouting department for the Washington Nationals, providing minor league scouting reports to each team and the Nationals organization front office.

It is an opportunity that provides me with the opportunity to stay actively involved in the game beyond graduation, and provides me with the opportunity to work in an extremely desirable and high-demand environment. Most of all, it provides me with the opportunity to get paid to watch baseball...which in and of itself seems almost silly it sounds so cool to me.

As I continue to advance in years (I've learned from "old people" that the word "old" isn't fun), and my career on the field winds down, I find myself able to continue within the game...and a lot of thanks and credit is due in the direction of the HSBBWeb.

Thanks once again to everyone here. This is truly an amazing community.

And...as a sign off for this post, I suppose a new signature is fitting:

Go Nationals

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congratulations Josh, what an exciting time for you.

I have always admired your contributions here at the HSBBW.  You have been one of our great ambassadors, I sincerely hope it continues as you move into the next phase of your baseball journey,

I wish you great success...I have a feeling we are going to see great things from you.

Josh,

Congratulations, that is terrific news!  And from following you on this site, I'm not a bit surprised that you have been offered this great opportunity to stay in the game of baseball. I hope you will stick around and share scouting stories with us. We promise to keep all your scouting notes confidential!

Julie

Man that is just awesome news.

This kind of goes to what I and others have been saying for many years around here.  People say choose a school as if baseball did not exist and I've never understood that advice.  That assumes that the only way to make a living at baseball is to play it.  There are dozens and dozens of different type jobs involved in baseball.  If a kid truly loves the game, there is nothing wrong making a career out of it.  Nothing wrong with encouraging them that way.  I would rather see a kid doing something they love than doing something for the money.  Not only that, but if you work hard, you can make money at baseball as well - the best of both worlds if baseball is your thing.

Well done Josh.  

Think I told  you this elsewhere...but congrats Josh!  Really great stuff and very well deserved.  I think all of us on here saw early on just how talented you are in a wide breadth of ways.  Always nice to see someone rewarded like this.

Enjoy the last few months of college and don't forget to stop and smell the roses.  

Good for you Josh!  Since my son is also a LHP, I have shared quite a bit of what you have said on this site with him.  You have a ton of knowledge to share.

Last week, I was just talking to him about how he should send his resume to all the MLB teams and to MLB front office for employment when he graduates from college.  Now seeing this from you, I will definately have to show him.

Good luck

Josh,

Congratulations!  We are very familiar with many people in the Nationals organization and I think you will enjoy working with them. Some of them are among the very best in the business.

I imagine you will be working with Kris Kline and maybe even possibly with Bill Singer. Both are great guys and very well regarded. Make sure, if you haven't already, to meet Roy Clark. He is the VP/assistant GM in charge of Player Personnel. Roy was the long time scouting director for the Atlanta Braves and he still works in scouting and the draft for the Nationals. He is definitely one of a kind.  Tell him you and I are buddies. I can almost guarantee that you will really like him. He is one of the best and hardest working scouts I have ever known, but loves to have fun. He is an old school guy, but very aware  of the modern day trends.

Best of luck

Josh I'm so happy and excited for you. I have always said if you find something you love and have a passion for not only will you be very good at it, you never have to have a job. You will simply get paid to do what you love. Some might say that you got lucky. Or caught a big break. I say the Nationals struck gold by getting a man like you. Your going to do an awesome job! Congrats my friend.

Congratulations, Josh. I've enjoyed reading you and I enjoyed meeting you last fall.

Scouting seems to fall under a "do what you love" profession. I predict that, for you, the compensation and recognition will come.

Perhaps you can sharpen your scouting skills by sending my scouting reports on Web (we're 3000 miles away so we won't see many games in person).

I know that we baseball geeks will be seeing your name as you move up the ranks.

Thanks to all. While advanced scouting certainly isn't glamorous, it should be fun.

PG- I will certainly look out for all of the people you mentioned above. The game is a small world for sure.

web's dad- For now the only scouting report I'll give you is an insanely crooked mohawk he's been displaying around campus. His makeup and character numbers have been increasing though because despite all of the heckling he's gotten due to it, the haircut has remained!

So happy to hear the news, Josh!  I saw a post in another thread saying JH had a new job and I knew I had missed something...took me a while to find out what I had missed.

I feel privileged to have met you, and I mean that very sincerely.  You will go a long ways in this game - I am sure of that!  I hope you'll stay in touch with all of us.  I know I will make a point of bugging you every now and then!

Many, many congratulations.  Way to go after that brass ring and grab it!

Originally Posted by J H:

Thanks to all. While advanced scouting certainly isn't glamorous, it should be fun.

PG- I will certainly look out for all of the people you mentioned above. The game is a small world for sure.

web's dad- For now the only scouting report I'll give you is an insanely crooked mohawk he's been displaying around campus. His makeup and character numbers have been increasing though because despite all of the heckling he's gotten due to it, the haircut has remained!

That's my boy!

Josh - congrats on your future position.  (Too bad you can't scout yourself.)

Having a chance to interact with some of the Nats Media Relations folks late last year on some Superstorm Sandy relief efforts and knowing some folks linked to other groups within the organization, I think you're headed to a good place.

A quick aside - my daughter is a freshman on the Hilltop. When we were moving her in this September summer, her 16-year old 6' 4" HS sophomore pitcher brother was helping while wearing a GU hat.  At least 3 different freshman ballplayers asked him

what the team was like and what position he played.

A quick aside - my daughter is a freshman on the Hilltop. When we were moving her in this September summer, her 16-year old 6' 4" HS sophomore pitcher brother was helping while wearing a GU hat.  At least 3 different freshman ballplayers asked him

what the team was like and what position he played.

I hope he played along and scared them a little bit...  

Josh,

Just did that big move I told you about so I am sorry I am late in responding.

I am glad you let the cat out of the bag. 

There are too many young people finishing up their college careers and not able to find employment doing something that they would love to be doing.  Your parents should be very proud of the hard diligant work you have put in and not expecting for granted as so many do.  There's a lot of  bashing young people (lazy and irresponsible) these days and I find that not to be the case.

Playing the game at the very highest level is not something that everyone can achieve.  

One does not have to walk away from the game when their playing days are over.  

There are so many endless possibilities to stay within the game it's amazing.

Best of luck and way to go Josh!

Last edited by TPM

Little late to the party as well but really glad to see this.  I'm very happy for you (and a little jealous to be honest LOL).  You are very deserving of this job because you really are a go getter.  "Watching" you grow up on here and beat the adversity that followed TJ surgery to find a place to play this spring was amazing.  So seeing how you were able to get this opportunity is awesome.  This isn't something that fell into your lap - you've earned this because you worked for it.

By the way if you guys need a bullpen catcher or a fungo hitter I'm available.  Let me know if you need a resume or youtube video of my skills.

Thanks to all once again. While its just the first step, I look forward to this potentially opening doors in the future. Its been reiterated to me throughout countless unsuccessful job applications and interviews that this industry is not easy to get into. When there's one job opening and hundreds of applicants, employers tend to be very picky (as they should be). My case just so happens to be one of persistence, patience and a bit of good luck. 

I will most certainly keep everyone here posted on the progress as I continue to (hopefully) move up the ladder. I've been very fortunate enough to have an outstanding support group surrounding me that opens me up to a widely available range of contacts within the game. If you would've told me that at this time last year that my phone and email contacts would consist of some of the names they do now, I would've laughed at you. But, its funny how things work sometimes when you're in the right place at the right time.

coach2709- One of the posters here, Aldoinla, has a son who is currently in the Nationals organization and will most likely be doing a bit of rehab work as he is recovering from Tommy John. As per my job description, there is potential for me to be assigned to shoot some video and write some analysis of his progress and performance when he finally is able to get back on the mound. He's 18 years old, 6'6" and throws 100 mph. If you want to be the bullpen catcher, be my guest. 

Originally Posted by J H:

coach2709- One of the posters here, Aldoinla, has a son who is currently in the Nationals organization and will most likely be doing a bit of rehab work as he is recovering from Tommy John. As per my job description, there is potential for me to be assigned to shoot some video and write some analysis of his progress and performance when he finally is able to get back on the mound. He's 18 years old, 6'6" and throws 100 mph. If you want to be the bullpen catcher, be my guest. 

Ok reading that just made my knees (and hand) start hurting.  I think I'm over that crazy idea.......although I'm still a pretty mean fungo hitter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.