Skip to main content

You may want to consider the Chattanooga area, no state taxes and 1.5 hours from Atlanta. I'm in metro Atlanta and lots of friends have houses in the panhandle in FL. Wife and i are talking about 2nd house near Tampa-St Pete (The westside is the bestside). You can't miss in Blue Ridge or North Georgia, beautiful area. 

Charlotte is often called Lil Atlanta, very nice city, love to visit. Anywhere south of Atlanta and you are subject to gnats.....of course the farther south and east you go.... the harder the bite. 

As a disclaimer, please do not move to the Atlanta area, we are full up and our highway system is from the 1920s. 

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

TThomas, great info... I checked out a few of the lakes you mention along with surrounding areas.  Nice!  And a few hour drive is nothing to us.  We're sort of remote on the coast and have to drive 3-4 hrs one way just to catch an MLB game, which we gladly do.

Prepster, I could see why Charlotte would be your target... easy access to everything makes total sense.  

Shoveit... more great info as well.  I don't see us too close to ATL so don't worry about our traffic contributions .  Far suburbs, maybe but without the daily commute.

Between the thread posts and PM's this has been an awesome gathering of info that will be a huge help to us.  And, yes, we would definitely make a few pre-trips to get first hand look.  

THANKS, EVERYBODY !!!

@cabbagedad posted:

TThomas, great info... I checked out a few of the lakes you mention along with surrounding areas.  Nice!  And a few hour drive is nothing to us.  We're sort of remote on the coast and have to drive 3-4 hrs one way just to catch an MLB game, which we gladly do.

Prepster, I could see why Charlotte would be your target... easy access to everything makes total sense.  

Shoveit... more great info as well.  I don't see us too close to ATL so don't worry about our traffic contributions .  Far suburbs, maybe but without the daily commute.

Between the thread posts and PM's this has been an awesome gathering of info that will be a huge help to us.  And, yes, we would definitely make a few pre-trips to get first hand look.  

THANKS, EVERYBODY !!!

Let me know if I can help when that time comes. 

OK, gang.  Circling back after some research...

At the moment, we seem to be drawn to mountain (and hill) lake areas of Lake Glenville and Bear Creek Lake NC, Lake Keowee SC and Lake Burton GA.  Housing prices immediately near Lake Burton look to be really high so we'd likely have to live in a nearby area like Clayton if we went that route.  

Any insight or feedback on those particular areas?  Any similar lakes/lake communities that you would also recommend in the region?  We'll try to go explore as soon as travel restrictions lighten up, hopefully around September.

We've checked out spots both within and outside of the lake communities.  We like a lots of activities, so the communities (and associated HOA fees) seem to pencil out OK but would like to hear feedback there as well.  

Last edited by cabbagedad
@cabbagedad posted:

OK, gang.  Circling back after some research...

At the moment, we seem to be drawn to mountain (and hill) lake areas of Lake Glenville and Bear Creek Lake NC, Lake Keowee SC and Lake Burton GA.  Housing prices immediately near Lake Burton look to be really high so we'd likely have to live in a nearby area like Clayton if we went that route.  

Any insight or feedback on those particular areas?  Any similar lakes/lake communities that you would also recommend in the region?  We'll try to go explore as soon as travel restrictions lighten up, hopefully around September.

We've checked out spots both within and outside of the lake communities.  We like a lots of activities, so the communities (and associated HOA fees) seem to pencil out OK but would like to hear feedback there as well.  

I'm still partial to Greenville, but those are great choices.  Being that a lake community is what you are looking for, I would also check out Lake Lure, NC. 

Cabbage, I don’t know where in CA you live, but we left Orange County for far eastern Washington state, and have never looked back.  We loved so many aspects of CA, but I lived in the OC since mid 60’s, and the LA/OC basin is now truly the most congested megalopolis in the US. We are now in an area the size of Orange and LA counties combined, with a total population of about 65,000, yet our town has great healthcare, restaurants, microbreweries and unlimited access to outdoor activities. If you visit these areas you are thinking about, and love them, go for it! If you are pondering acreage, and have never lived on acreage, do be prepared for outdoor work - you gotta love doing it.  You will invest in and collect equipment.......

Last edited by Gardener
@RJM posted:

I remember back in the 80’s one of the “in” things to do was move to Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. In my 20’s I loved Wyoming. While successful, my professional world was hectic. I hated the politics of the corporate world. Traffic in LA was getting worse and worse. Trips to Wyoming maintained my sanity.

I considered I could raft guide on the Snake (I was white water certified) and be a ski instructor in the winter. Then there was a follow up article in the LA Times on people who made the move. 80% returned to Southern California within two years. What appeared to be idyllic on vacation became boring as every day life. 

Besides, had I become a raft guide and ski instructor in Wyoming I would have had to grow a beard.

A thing to consider and it’s part of the ratings in any “best places to retire” articles is the quality of the health care in the area. When you get older something you never considered (quality of health care) may save your life.

Wyoming and Montana are a couple places we would like to retire to.  Been to Montana 6 or so times and fall in love with it every time.  Haven’t been there in 8 years though due to family expanding and baseball using my vacation days.  I have a little one who just turned 6 so I’m at least 12 - 16 years from retiring 😩

Last edited by Dadof3
@cabbagedad posted:

If Lake Burton is too pricey, Lake Chatuge might be a more affordable option.  The location isn't quite as "hip," but then that's why you're going to pay more for Lake Burton.  

IMHO the only reason the southeast and mid-west were settled was because the pioneers arrived there in the fall/winter/spring and had put down roots before summer and the humidity hit. Because nobody in their right mind would stay arriving on like July 1st. The only reason I have stayed was the wife not wanting to leave her family, and that was dam near reason for divorce.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

I live very close to Wilmington NC and love it. Been here 12 years and have no plans on leaving. It can get a little hot / humid I the summer but its not too bad. Winter is pretty tame too.

Like someone said Wilmington is very close to Wrightsville Beach and a few others. But I would suggest living in / close to Hampstead because you're only a few mins outside of all the shopping / things to do of Wilmington to the south and a few mins from Topsail Island to the north on 17. Topsail Island is a beautiful hidden treasure. You can get to the water without having to step over anyone.

Also, if you're into playing very bad golf you have an automatic partner in me. There are some great affordable courses all over the area. You're only 2 hours from Myrtle Beach SC if you want touristy stuff. 

Last benefit is you can become my assistant coach and help lead us to many victories lol

@cabbagedad posted:

Thanks Cat, can't remember why I passed over on Chatuge but I'll revisit.  Any opinion on living in Clayton or that area and having access to Burton?

I don't have much for you except that the last time I was up in that area (to drop my kid off at a great Y camp on Lake Burton) my husband and I had lunch at a cute little cafe in Clayton, and I thought it was a nice little town.  I believe I even thought, "This might be a nice place to retire to."  

Lake Chatuge is not as pretty as Lake Burton, but we've spent a couple of family vacations in cabins and cottages on Lake Chatuge, and we've always enjoyed it.  There is a sleepy little town nearby, on the border with North Carolina (the name escapes me at the moment), but I don't think it has as many "big city" amenities as Clayton does.

Hshuler, yeah, that would be great .. will PM you.

Coach, thanks for the info.  At the moment, my wife is leaning against coast (has read too many hurricane stories I think) but that is "subject to change" (which is my pet nickname for her ).  We will try to check out that area when we make a trip back that way.  I can play terrible golf with the best of 'em!  That would be too crazy to coach with a HSBBW brother but crazier things have happened.

Hayesville, NC and Hiawassee, Ga are the towns by Lake Chatuge.  Both are smaller than Clayton, but there are decent restaurants.

Chatuge is different from Glenville in that Chatuge has a lot more weekender type visitors from the surrounding area, in campgrounds and RV parks.  Similar to Fontana in this regard. There are permanent residences around the lake, but overall they tend to be less pricey than those on Glenville.

Chatuge is definitely an easier drive to from surrounding areas, as the roads are all 4-lane and relatively straight.  Glenville is at least 30 minutes of narrow two-lane switchbacks, but to me that's actually a plus. 

As for Clayton, I've never lived there, but have been through many times.  It seems like a pretty typical mid-sized mountain town, with restaurants, bars, shopping, movie theaters, and an old-fashioned downtown area. Never heard anyone say anything bad about it.  You would still probably need to go into Asheville, Greenville, or Atlanta for sporting events or concerts, etc...

Oh, and Prepster mentioned High Rock Lake in Davidson County.  This area is totally different both in climate and feel from the mountain lakes being discussed.  Nothing wrong with it - I lived there for several years, but totally different vibe than the mountain region.  High Rock is much more similar to Norman or Hartwell or Lake Murray in Columbia.  Lexington is near Charlotte and Winston-Salem for cultural events, and has great BBQ, but it misses on all the mountain ambiance.

I’ll be honest...I haven’t read through every post. However, I second what hshuler said. I would also recommend looking into Rabun County, GA. There’s beautiful lakes (Burton, Rabun), mountains, Hwy 441 is four-lane and will have you in Athens (UGA) in no time. You are far enough from ATL to miss the hustle but close enough to enjoy some AAA or MLB. You can go in nearly any direction and be at a different college/university in relatively short time. 

OK, getting closer... mid-September trip planned to check things out (if Covid allows).  Will check out some of the lake communities around Keowee (SC), Glenville and Norman (NC).  Also will check out Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC.  What are the must see's for Greenville and Asheville that make them special (specific downtown areas, parks, nice but not too expensive neighborhoods, etc.) ?

May or may not have time to make it over to one or two of the coast towns. 

Near Lake Norman(Charlotte) I would drive into Davidson College area which has a really cool little town.  If you want a quick bite across from the college the Soda Shop has been there a long time and is small but convenient.  Brick House Tavern is a couple blocks back from main and has a great atmosphere and lots of TV's to watch baseball.  Eddie's on Lake Norman is great for seafood.  Downtown Charlotte is only 20 mins. away on I-77 south.  Park and walk, very safe downtown.  NASCAR Hall of Fame is down there, which is a neat tour if it is open.  Totally agree with @BishopLeftiesDad  that Biltmore is must see in Asheville.  I would drive around UNCA too, just north of downtown.  Downtown Greenville is a pleasant and welcoming place and I would also drive around Furman Univ. and probably check out the Falls at Reedy Park.  Weather should be great in the Carolina's that time of year.  Safe travels!

More HSBBW magic and another update...

Started researching back in May, developed a plan to explore in July, Wife and I took an exploration trip in September, started talking to a few prospective employers in October, accepted a position in November and we'll be shoving off to Asheville late December.  What the hell just happened?  This was just gonna be a down-the-road retirement plan.

Thanks to y'all for very helpful guidance... much of it was used to form our trip plan and make our decisions.  So many of you went above and beyond with side discussions and a special call out to Prepster who has gone way beyond above and beyond and who we were fortunate enough to meet up with in Charlotte.

We're still gonna hang on to the Calif. house for a while      "It's an adventure!" is a phrase used often in the household these days.

It's been particularly challenging, strange, risky and sombering navigating this process during Covid, but still wanted to put out an update and note of thanks.

The phrase "the pleasure was mine" has never had more truth behind it than for me in this situation! ... and now I get to look forward to having you two within shouting distance! Someone else to see when we travel to see my brother and sister-in-law who live in the area!

One more thing: Around the Horn speaks the truth about French Broad Chocolate! The line is worth it.

Welcome.  I'm about 1 1/2 hours away right across the line in SC.  Maybe this spring I can pick you up as I go through for a Tennessee baseball game.  Will go to almost every home game, except Sunday games.  I go through at least twice a month or more the rest of the year since we live on one side of the mountain and oldest lives in Johnson City, TN and youngest is at UT.  Let me know anything I can do for you.

Cool!  Thanks guys...

Smitty - you're more than welcome to learn from our screw-ups.  We'll keep you informed.

BLD - we still haven't forgotten the generous offer to connect the boys... the way things are continuing with Covid, that may come back around as something he will want to pursue before too long.

Around the Horn and Prepster - French Broad Chocolate was definitely part of the exploration trip!  We'll put the other two on the summer list.

JohnF - good to know... we'll probably need to tap that pipeline.

Teach - if there's somethin' to drink inside, I'll take it

PF - a UT ballgame would be awesome!  Really hopin' they play this spring.

T Thomas - will most likely take you up on that, particularly when it comes time to pick the right area to target for our first rental (and the get together part).  Lookin' forward to a UNCA and/or Tourist game.  Which direction are you?

@cabbagedad posted:

T Thomas - will most likely take you up on that, particularly when it comes time to pick the right area to target for our first rental (and the get together part).  Lookin' forward to a UNCA and/or Tourist game.  Which direction are you?

We're west on I-40 in Waynesville.

McCormick Field and Tourists are awesome.  Western Carolina is a good place to take in a college game. App St and ETSU are also within range.  Also plenty of good D2/D3 venues within an hour or so - Mars Hill, Montreat, Brevard College, Lenoir Rhyne...

Edit - almost forgot about North Greenville and Belmont Abbey, also in that hour range.  Two high quality D2 programs in my son's team conference.

Last edited by T_Thomas

Agree on the Western college experience.  Like none other.  May be one of the toughest places to play.  They have a group that sits on the hill beside LF fence on private property with a loud sound system and they trash the visitors from start to finish.  They do all kinds of searches and know player's moms, girlfriends, and other stuff.  Go overboard every now and then but seems to be all in good fun with a little drunkenness added in.  When my son played with The Citadel, I felt sorry for our third baseman.  He missed the first ball hit in the first inning of the first game and they rode him for three days.

You'll have a lot a d2 baseball in reach - Conference Carolinas, Peach Belt Conference, and South Atlantic Conference - plus the D2 World Series in Cary.  Once/If Covid is under control, Legion Baseball has it's world series pretty close in Shelby - we have some friends who have taken that in every year.

I laugh every time I think about North Greenville when my son played at Belmont Abbey - first time there we waited like 2 hours after rain for them to get the field ready for a Sat DH... games went pretty quickly and we're late in the 2nd game, P pitches - the catcher, batter, and umpire never saw the ball as the sun was setting in CF... We had a 10 minute sun delay - first time ever for me in baseball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.