Skip to main content

This weekend starting Friday Night at ODU, Sat at Churchland and Western Branch HS's and Sun at Churchland and ODU is the Robert Jones Memorial Fall Showcase Tournament. Its a great oppertunity to see some local boys in action who play for the Tidewater White Sox Fall Showcase team. Players are from Deep Creek, Greenbriar, NansSuff Acad, Kellam, Kempsville, Western Branch, Cape Henry, Maury, Bishop Sullivan, Tabb, Menchville, Manteo (NC), Monacan and Midalothian (Richmond), Halifax Co, Geo Washington, Prince George and Wake Forrest(NC).
They play Fri at 8 at ODU, Sat at 12 and 3 at WB and Sun at CHS at 12.
Tournament features 13 teams from the Mid-Atlantic Reagion, from NC, PA, NJ, MD, and VA including the Carolina Cubs and VA Diamond Dogs.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

White Sox lost both DH games, 6-2 to Mid MD Red Sox and 12-6 to Bayside Yankees.
Pitching provided by Little (Kempsville) and Breedlove (Nasmond Suffolk) 1st game and Watkins (Menchville) and Pierce (Tabb) 2nd game. Did not see 1st game, but Watkins pitched well and Pierce pitched well in relief, but surrendered the lead due to sloppy outfield play and infield errors. Not the Sox's best showing of the season. Good Defensive efforts given by Lottman (Kellam), Lee (Kempsville), Stehle (Monacan), Smith (Western Branch).
Next weekend play in the Raliegh Area, followed by Louisburg Junior College, NC the following weekend , than the Wood Bat World Champioships in Jupiter,FL OCt 27-31
Jeffress is on the team, but does not allways show up every weekend, havn't seen him the last 2 weekends. Last outing he was throwing 95+.
I'm not sure about Nick, if he was invited to be on the team or not. He has 2 HS teamates that are on the team, Lottman (OF) and Neumann (C). I know that 2 or 3 players did respond to invites, and 1 flat out turned it down.
They have had 4 of the original roster drop out (mostly 07's) and added 2 since season started.
They were missing Bivens (OF) and Riddlehoover (MIF) 2 out of 3 games, both good players. Bivens made Top Prospect team at last years Wood Bat Champioships.
They normally carry 14 primary pitchers on the team, but this season they are down to a handfull, with a few secondary pitchers. Which means they get pitch more innings than usual.
Hi all, first post. I'm new to the site. I have a H.S. Sophomore Kenny Stoneback, SS/OF from Colonial Heights, VA. Pretty heavy into the whole PG/USA Baseball/AAU scene.

How's Tyler Wilson RHP looking on the Tidewater White sox team? My son has played with him for past two years on travel squad. Tyler is going to be a top prospect,I'm sure!
Tyler is doing fine, joined the team after we got started. The MIF's switch off every other inning, same with other positions, they are Hess, Wilson, Nichols, Ridlehoover, and Little. A couple of these are also pitchers, so they sit out innings in games in which they are pitching.
Some games they may get 3-4 at bats, some games 1, they rotate, giving every one a chance to showcase. Everyone has had their peakes and valleys at the plate. Sometimes its hard to get in a rythem if you get only a couple at bats that day against completly different pitchers, but then they get 4-6 during a day and they can get on a roll.
Like most showcase teams, its not always about winning a game, its about showcasing talent. White Sox coach does not pull a player having a bad game. If its his turn to play, its his turn.
Each player was scouted and invited/recuited to play on the team, each one forks out the same money, so each one gets his fair chances to impress scouts. I am sure this is true of most showcase teams.
IMO, all the players on the team have their certain talents, all good players, all are top prospects, great group of young men, get along great, and are having the time of their life.
Most all of them have attended a PG event and 1/2 were at PG AC top prospect.
Plans are to stay intact and go to the Wood Bat World series next summer as 18U team.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.