Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's not surprising that you don't have the rosters of the Commonwealth teams. There seems to be no organization or standard approach to how the four teams are selected or put together. And there is no published criteria for a player to apply or be selected. From what I can tell, it is left to the individual discretion of the four Head Coaches on how to put together a team.

For those of you not aware, the VA Commonwealth games is a weekend series of games that are designed to showcase the best uncommitted underclassmen in the state. It is widely attended by College coaches across the region and should be considered quite an honor.

In the past there was a scheduling conflict with the biggest rising Senior showcase event in the nation, the Marietta, WWBA. This meant that a lot of Virginia's best were not at the Commonwealth. They apprently resolved that for this year and the games will be held over 4th of July weekend and it should showcase the state's best talent (or at least the best marketers).

Last year, I recall seeing Posts where some of the Region coaches, like the North, conducted a try out based on an invitees list either from the All-District teams or Coaches recommendations.

This is a fair system and helps level the playing field from the big school vs. small school, public vs. private debate and the everpresent statistics inflation.

Not all teams did that nor did it again this year from what I can tell. It's hard to believe that an event with such visibility and impact can be conducted behind closed doors with impunity and no transparency.

This system needs to be changed and I will be interested to see if VirginiaPreps gets the names anytime soon.
I'm not sure how the other regions do it, but the East holds open tryouts (I believe about 80 showed up this year) and then brings back the top 32 the next weekend for evaluation games to select the final 16. Granted, if you are a relative unknown, it is dificult to stand out among a group that large and get selected, but I'm sure it has happened and I can't really think of a fairer way to select the kids. Additionally, I'm told that only two kids from a given school can be selected...I'm guessing that is so a coach can't select all of his own kids. I'm not sure that is necessary and there are certainly years in which the selection of more than two from a given school is warranted. Anyone know if this is a rule applied across the state or just in the East?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AU Marine:
it should showcase the state's best talent (or at least the best marketers).

I can't speak to the other regions, but this certainly applies to the North. In my experience, the selections are highly political (influenced by marketing) and are poor indicators of future performance. Twice I've looked back 2-3 years post-CommGame and have been shocked (well, maybe not) at the washout rate. I'm not saying there aren't deserving players on the rosters, but certain area coaches have far to much say in the picks, "selling" certain players rather than taking a wider, region-wide view, and this, unfortunately diiminishes the value of the honor. The "tryout" itself is window dressing. Basically, the whole process could use an overhaul to get reduce what AU Marine accurately characterizes as "behind closed doors with impunity and no transparency".
Part of the problem with the North is that it stuffs the entire HS Northern Region and at least half of the HS North West Region into one geographic. There are a lot of players from these AAA schools plus the private schools and there is no real way for the coaches to get around and see everyone during the high school season. So, going into the tryouts, I agree that 3/4 of the 16 person team is picked based on reputation/prior knowledge alone. Even then, coaches want to spread resources around.

Given the 3 game in two day nature of the tournament, I believe the rosters could easily and justifiably be expanded to 20 in order to allow some additional pitchers to be brought in on each team. Last year it was not a good situation when coaches had to bring players in to pitch directly from the field with no warm up/no rest on very hot days. It was not surprising at all that scores were way up.
It seems that the Central team is basically hand picked by the coaching staff and with that the case you can count every year on seeing players from Hanover (Commonwealth head coaches school) Deep Run (assistant coaches school) Louisa (assistant coaches school)and now Powhatan (new assistant coaches school). Every year those schools will have players on the team guarnteed They have other good players but the Central coaches look to showcase their own kids often at the expense of maybe more deserving kids.
quote:
Originally posted by Local8SS:
It seems that the Central team is basically hand picked by the coaching staff and with that the case you can count every year on seeing players from Hanover (Commonwealth head coaches school) Deep Run (assistant coaches school) Louisa (assistant coaches school)and now Powhatan (new assistant coaches school). Every year those schools will have players on the team guarnteed They have other good players but the Central coaches look to showcase their own kids often at the expense of maybe more deserving kids.

It certainly doesn't hurt that those four schools are also four of the better schools around for baseball. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that those schools probably have deserving players pretty close to every year.
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Sportsmom:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AU Marine:
it should showcase the state's best talent (or at least the best marketers).

I can't speak to the other regions, but this certainly applies to the North. In my experience, the selections are highly political (influenced by marketing) and are poor indicators of future performance. Twice I've looked back 2-3 years post-CommGame and have been shocked (well, maybe not) at the washout rate. I'm not saying there aren't deserving players on the rosters, but certain area coaches have far to much say in the picks, "selling" certain players rather than taking a wider, region-wide view, and this, unfortunately diiminishes the value of the honor. The "tryout" itself is window dressing. Basically, the whole process could use an overhaul to get reduce what AU Marine accurately characterizes as "behind closed doors with impunity and no transparency".

Does anyone know who made the teams?
Last edited by 3up-3down
Three years ago, my son wrote to the North's Head Coach, sent a profile used for letters to college coaches, and asked for a chance to try out. He got a call a few days later inviting him to attend tryouts. He actually missed the first weekend due to high school regionals, but was told to come to the second weekend, where they played a couple games. He was selected to the team, having no prior exposure in front of the northern Virginia coaches and coming from a small school in the Valley.

We had heard rumors of "all politics" but that didn't turn out to be the case. He made the team, and played a ton down at Roanoke. It was his favorite ever showcase experience far and away. There were lots of great players there and I'd hate to be the one to have to pare it down to one team. True we were pleased because he was selected, but as we left tryouts, before learning he made the squad, I recall my son commenting on how many darned good players there were, how well he thought he did, and how he thought it'd be tough to make since he was an "unknown".

Be proactive.
Will Garlick came up with the East roster!

These are almost as hard to find as the VHSL all-star game rosters!

09 Ethan Carter Menchville P
10 Austin Chrismon Menchville P
09 Justin Shively Bethel P
09 Shane Hoggard Bethel 1B
09 Chris Taylor Cox IF
09 Ryan Mattes Cox P
09 Erickson Keeton Nansemond River P/OF
09 James Taylor Kellam OF
10 Chad Pinder Poquoson IF
09 Coby Cowgill Maury P
11 Greg Tomchik Princess Anne P
11 Jake Cave Hampton Christian P
10 Cory Patrick Tabb OF
09 Blake Boyce First Colonial C
09 David Hughes Kempsville C
09 Jackson Shaver Jamestown IF

Note - Jackson Shaver is the son of William & Mary basketball coach Tony Shaver. Thanks to Sandy F. for that nugget!
I believe these are the VHSCA rosters

East Baseball 07

No. First Name Last Name Pos. School Coach
11 Mike Baskeyfield P/3b Colonial Beach Steve Swope
6 Cody Brown P/3b Tabb Doug Baggett
1 Sean Fields Ss Hampton Danny Mitchell
14 Dustin Galbraith P Douglas Freeman Ken Moore
15 Will Lamb Of York Bab Pearce
3 Travis Lane Of Mills Godwin John Marano
3 Jake Lowery C Cosby Tim Lowry
20 Adam Mcconnell Ss Tabb Doeg Baggett
16 Timmy Mcdonald Of Strasburg Jeff Smoot
8 Christopher Mcdougal C Denbigh Chris Balis
6 Paul Nice 2b Powhatan Greg Connor
1 Luke Saunders Ss Lancester Welby Saunde
9 Ronnie Shaban P/ss Cosby Tim Lowery
13 Matt Shaffer P/1b Hampton Danny Mitchell
14 Shawn Sizemore Of Menchville Phil Forbes
5 Brent Steffey Ss Colonial Beach Steve Swope
31 Ben Tomchick P Princess Anne Jimmy Hunt
15 Jordan Walton 1b Lee-davis Kenny Lewis Steve Gedro

East Coaches

Gregg Connor Powhatan
Jeff Smoot Strasburg
Grant Odell Deep Run

West Baseball 07
18 Justin Bagbey 1b Halifax Kelvin Davis
3 Jordan Barnett P/inf Richlands Brad Strong
23 Jesse Beal Jr. P South County Mark Luther
7 Adam Bedsaul Of Grayson Co. Mike Worrell
46 Cody Bentley Ss J.j. Kelly Dave Wyrick
8 Daniel Bowman Of Turner Ashby Richie Anderson
4 Kyle Craun 3b Turner Ashby Richie Anderson
24 Caleb Dorton P/3b James River Gehrig Ferguson
12 Brent Frazier Ss South County Mark Luther
15 Zack Helgeson 1b Hidden Valley Jason Taylor
9 Josh Huffman C Jefferson Forest Ryan Gilleland
2 Zack Jones P/inf Grayson Co. Mike Worrell
23 Steven Keener 1b Alleghaney Gary Rice
25 Jake Myer 3b Woodbridge Jason Ritenour
8 Mikey O'brien P Hidden Valley Jason Taylor
8 Devon Snow Of Osbourn Keith Howell
11 Justin Thompson C/p Tunstall Barry Shelton

Coaches
Mike Worrell Grayson Co.
Jason Taylor Hidden Valley
Mark Luther South County
Last edited by Chris Taylor
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Taylor:
I believe these are the VHSCA rosters

East Baseball 07

11 Mike Baskeyfield P/3b Colonial Beach Steve Swope
6 Cody Brown P/3b Tabb Doug Baggett
1 Sean Fields Ss Hampton Danny Mitchell
14 Dustin Galbraith P Douglas Freeman Ken Moore
15 Will Lamb Of York Bab Pearce
3 Travis Lane Of Mills Godwin John Marano
3 Jake Lowery C Cosby Tim Lowry
20 Adam Mcconnell Ss Tabb Doeg Baggett
16 Timmy Mcdonald Of Strasburg Jeff Smoot
8 Christopher Mcdougal C Denbigh Chris Balis
6 Paul Nice 2b Powhatan Greg Connor
1 Luke Saunders Ss Lancester Welby Saunde
9 Ronnie Shaban P/ss Cosby Tim Lowery
13 Matt Shaffer P/1b Hampton Danny Mitchell
14 Shawn Sizemore Of Menchville Phil Forbes
5 Brent Steffey Ss Colonial Beach Steve Swope
31 Ben Tomchick P Princess Anne Jimmy Hunt
15 Jordan Walton 1b Lee-davis Kenny Lewis Steve Gedro

East Coaches

Gregg Connor Powhatan
Jeff Smoot Strasburg
Grant Odell Deep Run

West Baseball 07
18 Justin Bagbey 1b Halifax Kelvin Davis
3 Jordan Barnett P/inf Richlands Brad Strong
23 Jesse Beal Jr. P South County Mark Luther
7 Adam Bedsaul Of Grayson Co. Mike Worrell
46 Cody Bentley Ss J.j. Kelly Dave Wyrick
8 Daniel Bowman Of Turner Ashby Richie Anderson
4 Kyle Craun 3b Turner Ashby Richie Anderson
24 Caleb Dorton P/3b James River Gehrig Ferguson
12 Brent Frazier Ss South County Mark Luther
15 Zack Helgeson 1b Hidden Valley Jason Taylor
9 Josh Huffman C Jefferson Forest Ryan Gilleland
2 Zack Jones P/inf Grayson Co. Mike Worrell
23 Steven Keener 1b Alleghaney Gary Rice
25 Jake Myer 3b Woodbridge Jason Ritenour
8 Mikey O'brien P Hidden Valley Jason Taylor
8 Devon Snow Of Osbourn Keith Howell
11 Justin Thompson C/p Tunstall Barry Shelton

Coaches
Mike Worrell Grayson Co.
Jason Taylor Hidden Valley
Mark Luther South County
Hello Virginia Preps. You asked for the Commonwealth rosters almost two weeks ago and I don't see where you have received them yet. With the Games a mere week a way, I would think they would be available by now. There may be a good reason for this as some cancellations may be occuring and they should be working off of an Alternate list.

There have been a number of hits to this string since I entered a reply and a good portion are missing my main point. That is one of "fairness."

Without a published process and a way to objectively rate the players against each other, this process is not only flawed, but unfair.

The Central Team seems to be the worst offender. With no try outs, how are these Coaches (which include some coaching first time participants)supposed to select a team without ever seeing them play? How do they level the playing field between AAA, AA and the Privates based on hitting statistics and word of mouth from HS Coaches? Do they use their personal contacts with some of these players on the travel/showcase teams or from Wood Bat teams? Should they? What about positions? Wouldn't a utility player that can play Infield, Outfield and Pitch be more valuable for a tourney than just a MIF or a Third Baseman? I think you are probably getting my point here. First, a process has to be published and second, some type of try out is required. There are several weekends to do this before the games. No reason not to.

To the comment a gentleman made about the Central's
success at picking quality players, because look how many are subsequent D1 players. Don't you think there is a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy going on here? The Commonwealth is the first opportunity after the 1 July contact date that College coaches can actively recruit and they can do this effectively by going to a site where supposedly "all the best players" are.

But VA Sportsmom take note: I had a conversation with one of the leading D1 Head Coaches in the state last week and he admitted that they go to Salem with a list of people to see and know that many of them will not be on the field because of politics. He was very surprised to learn that Central does not have try outs, by the way.

It all goes back to "fairness." For next year, there needs to be a published process with established eligibility and selection criteria to include some form of try outs. No you will not make
everyone happy, but at least you can say the "boys" had an opportunity to "earn their way" on the team by their play on the field.

As for this year, all one can do is spread the word that there are many good deserving players not at the Games and that they are not deficient for having not been selected for the team.

Communications with Coventry, the sponsors, are also in order.

Semper Fidelis
No worry, AU. Our time has long since passed. Fortunately, D1 college, Cape League and MLB scouts thought better of our son than the wise men of the Comm Games. Like you, we talked to a number of college coaches who noted the "limitations" of the Comm system. Clearly Comm prefers to avoid scrutiny, tho I think most members on this board are smart enough to get it.
the commonwealth games are a great experience for those who are able to attend, for those who are not it is not the end of the road. The system not having a try out or not one or two players maybe missed but for the most part those that are deserving make it. A one day try out is not the answer. Regardless of what system is put into place they will never make all happy nor will there ever be without question.
Those D1 coaches seem to still flock to Roanoke even when they know its not fair, come on move on . Congrats to all of those that did get selected and for those who didnot. Good luck, keep you head up and go to the college of your choice summer camp where they can talk to you and really see what you can do.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.