Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@PitchingFan posted:

I hope so Opus.  Will be interesting to see what Big 10 does.  I don't think they can play a limited schedule and get into the playoffs in baseball like they did in football.  I'm surprised they put any limit on travel roster but I reckon it was money.

2/19/21  Let's goooooo.

Kendall Rodgers just reported via Twitter that Big 10 has no plans to review their current decision of a conference only schedule.  Still have not finalized start date or number of games.

https://twitter.com/kendallrog...486453156438017?s=21

Last edited by 22and25

Son is in a non-P5 D1 conference expected to play Saturday doubleheaders with rosters increasing this season from 27 to 30. Wondering in general how may pitchers will make up the 30 and kinda figuring most if not all of the extra 3 players are likely to be pitchers to cover the extra innings that will be played.

I think the good news is that there is likely to be more opportunities for more P's down the depth chart.

Unfortunately, there will likely be more disruptions with arms not fully ramped, injuries, Covid-related ineligible, lack of usual sharpness, more difficulty dealing with a "different" world, more condensed weekend schedules resulting in less ability to go back to usual go-to middle and back end guys, etc.  So, yes, I would imagine any extra guys would most often be P's.  That said, I'm not sure if your reference to 30 is travel, counter or regular roster. 

@cabbagedad posted:

I think the good news is that there is likely to be more opportunities for more P's down the depth chart.

Unfortunately, there will likely be more disruptions with arms not fully ramped, injuries, Covid-related ineligible, lack of usual sharpness, more difficulty dealing with a "different" world, more condensed weekend schedules resulting in less ability to go back to usual go-to middle and back end guys, etc.  So, yes, I would imagine any extra guys would most often be P's.  That said, I'm not sure if your reference to 30 is travel, counter or regular roster.

We have the fun of sharing our HS field with the local mid-major D1 College team (they are having a new stadium being built that is supposed to be done in a little over a month).  We are in the South, so things aren't as strict as in other areas (not arguing whether it is good or bad).  As far as practice and throwing, they seem to be fully ramped up.

Also, on a related note, our HS kids are much more ramped up than they were in previous years.  A lot of this, I believe with my uneducated opinion on the matter, is due to how shortened things were last year, and the coaches want to be sure they do things right with all this extra time to plan.

@Viking0 posted:

We have the fun of sharing our HS field with the local mid-major D1 College team (they are having a new stadium being built that is supposed to be done in a little over a month).  We are in the South, so things aren't as strict as in other areas (not arguing whether it is good or bad).  As far as practice and throwing, they seem to be fully ramped up.

Also, on a related note, our HS kids are much more ramped up than they were in previous years.  A lot of this, I believe with my uneducated opinion on the matter, is due to how shortened things were last year, and the coaches want to be sure they do things right with all this extra time to plan.

Good point, Viking... I'm sure we'll see it both ways.  Son's mid-major is also in the South (TN) and yes, generally, not as strict regionally.  But the AD at the school, as I'm sure is the case in many places, fears liability and leans toward more strict guidelines.  Also, there have been periodic shutdowns within the program due to reported cases and exposure/proximity to someone or some group that has someone who tests positive, therefore disrupting throwing programs.  Some of the P's have found go-arounds and some have not.

Brings up an interesting question... I know that college P's have to be careful they are not caught "out of protocol" with any school or NCAA guidelines.  I wonder if HS P's have a little more flexibility in seeking options/places to maintain their throwing programs.  Of course, it will vary by school/district but your comment has me thinking that in many areas, there are more go-arounds for the HS player than the college player.  I've certainly heard about related disruptions at both levels.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Any chance, somewhat like MLB, they will push out the start of the season, and in college's case play deeper into the summer? It may effect the MLB Minor League season, but it seems like things are heading to some level of "normalcy" by April/May. Perhaps the seasons can start a month late and just make sure the CWS is over by mid-August.

Ken

- Author of "Going with the Pitch; Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I Athlete (GWTP Amazon)

Any chance, somewhat like MLB, they will push out the start of the season, and in college's case play deeper into the summer? It may effect the MLB Minor League season, but it seems like things are heading to some level of "normalcy" by April/May. Perhaps the seasons can start a month late and just make sure the CWS is over by mid-August.

Ken

- Author of "Going with the Pitch; Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I Athlete (GWTP Amazon)

No in my opinion.  That would cost schools a lot of money to house and take care of spring sport athletes through most of summer.  Would also disrupt summer college leagues.

@cabbagedad posted:

That said, I'm not sure if your reference to 30 is travel, counter or regular roster.

I was referring to the increase of travel roster sizes in conference specifically for 2021.

Looking ahead though, I wonder whether 4-game weekend series (and increased travel roster sizes) may be more common in future seasons, especially at low D1 and below (where budgets are strained) as a way to maintain the # of games played. It has some power to potentially lower the midweek travel expense budgets. Should it continue, it might move the needle a little in how recruiting is affected as demand for healthy pitchers increases.

The America East had this structure a number of years ago. One game Friday, two games Saturday (7, 9 unless the first went greater than 7) and one Sunday. Long weekends, and bad for slumps, but definitely helped with travel (logistics and expenses). And yes, pitching by the Sunday game was hard to come by.

Ken

Just remember it hurts the D1 schools up north and smaller D1 schools.  They would not get to play the big boys because the schedule the SEC and ACC were considering was similar to Big 10.  They would play no one outside the conference and play four games a weekend Thursday through Saturday.  That would leave no big games either midweek or weekend for northern teams to come south unless they played JUCO's and it would not allow the smaller D1's to get midweek games against P5 teams to help raise their RPI.  It would pretty much guarantee that the top teams would all come from P5 conferences.  There is also some (not a lot like football) that is given for some midweek games.

Son's school passed out the schedule to the players yesterday. Same with at least one other B12 school. Nothing up on website's yet. Season set to start Feb 19th in B12/SEC showdown. We'll see if he cracks the "30" that travel/suit up. Fingers crossed, it will be close.

Only 46 games on the prelim schedule. 27/19 home road split. I think they are attempting to add more non-conference games. Conference series are three game weekends. UConn visits as well as Gonzaga, South Florida and Illinois-Chicago.

@Go44dad posted:

Son's school passed out the schedule to the players yesterday. Same with at least one other B12 school. Nothing up on website's yet. Season set to start Feb 19th in B12/SEC showdown. We'll see if he cracks the "30" that travel/suit up. Fingers crossed, it will be close.

Only 46 games on the prelim schedule. 27/19 home road split. I think they are attempting to add more non-conference games. Conference series are three game weekends. UConn visits as well as Gonzaga, South Florida and Illinois-Chicago.

It’s not always the same 30 that suits up for every game. Pitchers usually are the guys that sometimes do and sometimes don’t, so they always have a better chance of getting some innings early in their college career. At the most competitive programs the factor that determines how many opportunities a P will get is “how much the HC trusts him.”  This is a subjective evaluation on the part of the HC and what constitutes trust to one HC may not be the same as another. But generally speaking it has to do with the ability to throw strikes, being poised & confident on the mound, not being afraid of the moment, the ability to field your position, and having effective secondary stuff. Getting off to a good start can lead to more opportunities but a bad early outing or two can result in any pitcher (at top 30 programs) getting buried at the end of the bench - especially freshmen.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.