Skip to main content

Hi All, This is long, very sorry.  But we SO much appreciate any help if you know about this subject.

My son, a Junior/2022 was something of a late bloomer. Now, (May 2021) is 6'4", 225lbs, very athletic broad shouldered build, though not “full grown man” ultra muscular yet. (Don’t get me wrong - he’s jacked - just not full grown strong yet) Pre-Covid had not gotten much recruiting action, but has grown a lot, and with 106EV & 86AV - and just recently started all of a sudden to get communications from mid D1’s & ranked D2’s.. Was becoming a truly effective pitcher as well, though probably most valuable for his bat & size I would guess. His defense, his passion, his gamer/“do whatever it takes” & “all in” mentality all seem positives as well.

Last week, at a HS game in temps in the 40s, he was put in the middle of a game to pitch without his normal warm-up routine. He should've said something to the coach but being eager to please & not having the guts to say “no, I need my warm-up” or whatever. Six consecutive strikeouts later - against a team that up to that point was having us for lunch - & my son just walked off the mound.

Turns out he had torn his UCL & will need surgery to continue baseball at any high level. He had worked SO hard. And with that one moment, this upcoming Summer FULL of showcase tournaments, college visits & camps - & Fall & rest of this recruiting year has just disappeared before his eyes.. (maybe early next year too - depending on the type of surgery he will have - repair vs full TJ)

His main focus is baseball. As long as he maintains good academics we are ok with that. He does have other interests, but wants to pursue baseball as far as it can go.  Not looking to debate “college should be first” just for help on how to continue to have the best baseball opportunity possible.

We are in Pennsylvania, so I don't know what the reality is of HS re-classing. He only played freshman ball as a freshman, which in the past didn't count as far as his four years of high school eligibility.. But, from the little I've read & heard, that has changed it seems - so the choice would be a private high school - or the more likely scenario, the "PG" year.

He is still 16, so I don't have a problem with an extra year before starting college. I know some argue “losing a year in the workforce”, but we’re not won over with that one. I played music on the road until I was 30 & now am financially more than just fine.  He has plenty of years left to go be that hamster on the work/life wheel, but only a limited number of years remaining to play baseball.  Again, am not here to debate that.

All that said, I have read the few threads that exist on PG years & can't say I completely understand all of the ramifications & how it would work as far as that extra year & recruiting..

So a bunch of random questions if anyone can answer any of them we would both be SO grateful.  🤗

- Does he now somehow “become a 2023” for recruiting purposes? (Currently 2022) HOW? What does he need to to become a “2023” - list himself as 2023 or “PG2023” (or something?) and how would we “say” that on sites like PerfectGame or PBR, etc (his own web/social pages) - where he already has a profile/info? WILL they then list him as a 2023? (Or ?)

- What about NCAA? Does he notify NCAA & somehow change that with them? (He already has an NCAA ID with expected/stated Grad year 2022)

- How do colleges view elbow repair - or reconstruction (TJ) ? I mean in college he’s 99%+ likely to be a position player - not a P - so it’s the rest of it;  bat, defense, etc. and as long as he can return to throwing mid 80's, that part should be ok.  

- Should he reach out to any coaches he has communicated with & tell them he’s planning an extra year before starting into college - and the “why”?

- He is 16U eligible this year (but playing 17U) so should he play on the best 17U tournament team he can next Summer to try to be “recruited” then? (Or play 18U?)

- IF recruited next year, could/should he do a PG Fall semester, then start at that college in the January semester as a redshirt, & practice/workout with the team & hopefully have them help get him into a Summer team that next year?

- OR do a full year PG program?

- Ok, try not to laugh at us - but how does any of this affect his chances to be drafted? Yes, I know how long of a shot that is - but with his size & bat there is that snowball’s chance, & why not try?

- Will his SAT & GPA still work for him after that PG year? (currently 1340 as of Junior Fall but if he actually does some prep & re-takes could maybe get that magic 1400+ and his GPA will likely be something like 3.9-4.2 weighted)

- DO any of these PG programs give any partial scholarships? I have looked at IMG, which is insane to me & Combine - which even that, non-boarding, is $30k (yikes!) We expect to pay & we are fine to pay, but, - ideally - not that much. FIBA (Sarasota) for example lists a PG program (non-boarding) for $15k & says “scholarships available” - that is closer to more like it. Also Elev8 “elevate” in Delray Beach is another one I’ve found.. BUT there HAS to be many more of these who don’t optimize their website for Google search (lol) that I have yet to find.

- Don’t need this extra year for academics.. I think he’s decently positioned to get into many colleges - & if he gets SAT to 1400+ then I'd think he would be attractive to even more schools. BUT - definitely think missing this Junior-Senior Summer - especially after COVID recruiting year lost - having this extra year will be a positive. PLUS, the additional maturity & extra baseball focus won’t hurt either.

So - thoughts, info, anything you can tell us on this subject & it's nuances would be most genuinely appreciated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !! ❤️

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am sorry about your sons injury.

You actually had me until you got to the draft part. Really, are you kidding me?

Have the surgery asap, make sure you have a legit guy do it and a legit place for rehab. Your son has all summer and next year to get into shape and explore options, that should be the priority. Don't take a PG year unless he is advised to by his academic counselors or someone who can guide you through the process because you are all over the place.

Good luck.

@TPM posted:

You actually had me until you got to the draft part. Really, are you kidding me?

No.. nor are any of us kidding ourselves that that’s likely.  But, all I was asking was, do either of these things (PG/reclassifying)  have any bearing on that.   Totally realize it’s an ultra-longshot, but, doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

In fact, his (blood) uncle, who was a starting tight end in the NFL with two rings, told us that he should be keeping that kind of thing in mind.

That’s all, sorry if that was somehow offensive.  And thank you for your reply!

“the propensity to make a change is proportional to the number of paragraphs written about the current situation”

Just a casual observation but it seems like you’ve already made up your mind to reclass to 2023. Maybe internalizing that will help reduce your uncertainty and anxiety some.

Then, how about asking his travel ball coaches these questions? If they’re experienced I’m sure they’ve dealt with this before esp during these covid times.  

@DD 2024 posted:

Just a casual observation but it seems like you’ve already made up your mind to reclass to 2023. Maybe internalizing that will help reduce your uncertainty and anxiety some.

Then, how about asking his travel ball coaches these questions? If they’re experienced I’m sure they’ve dealt with this before esp during these covid times.  

Indeed you’re correct - given the very limited information I’ve found regarding somehow getting an extra year of high school - yes, I’m currently inclined to think PG to be the most likely course..  This was really more of a “how does all this work“ & “has anyone done it“ & “what was your experience“ kind of question. But I do appreciate the psychoanalysis - I need it!

And I do intend to ask his travel ball coaches about this, though don’t think this is a situation they’ve been in all that often. Given the magnitude of the situation I just thought this was a place where I might receive good information. I will be asking as many people as will listen to try to make an informed decision.

Do feel bad though, as I hadn’t intended for people to feel compelled to reply who really didn’t have any information on the PG topic itself, and am genuinely sorry for wasting anyone’s time doing just that.

@YachtRocker posted:

No.. nor are any of us kidding ourselves that that’s likely.  But, all I was asking was, do either of these things (PG/reclassifying)  have any bearing on that.   Totally realize it’s an ultra-longshot, but, doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

In fact, his (blood) uncle, who was a starting tight end in the NFL with two rings, told us that he should be keeping that kind of thing in mind.

That’s all, sorry if that was somehow offensive.  And thank you for your reply!

Your son is 16, needs TJS and you are wondering how surgery will affect a draft outcome because his uncle played football?

Of course  players with TJS get college scholarships and get drafted. It's about having the talent needed for that level.   So take care of the injury first, after his recovery and you see how he is, you can worry about that stuff.

@TPM posted:

Your son is 16, needs TJS and you are wondering how surgery will affect a draft outcome because his uncle played football?

Of course  players with TJS get college scholarships and get drafted. It's about having the talent needed for that level.   So take care of the injury first, after his recovery and you see how he is, you can worry about that stuff.

Definitely not looking to get into it like this with you.  I was just looking for some information. The question was whether reclassifying technically somehow affects ones ability to be drafted in any way.. that’s it.

it wasn’t asking if people who get TJS can continue to play at a higher level, or whatever your inference was.

My brother was only trying to help me ask the right questions.. just trying not to make any mistakes.

seems like a question I should’ve asked elsewhere.

@YachtRocker posted:

Indeed you’re correct - given the very limited information I’ve found regarding somehow getting an extra year of high school - yes, I’m currently inclined to think PG to be the most likely course..  This was really more of a “how does all this work“ & “has anyone done it“ & “what was your experience“ kind of question. But I do appreciate the psychoanalysis - I need it!

And I do intend to ask his travel ball coaches about this, though don’t think this is a situation they’ve been in all that often. Given the magnitude of the situation I just thought this was a place where I might receive good information. I will be asking as many people as will listen to try to make an informed decision.

Do feel bad though, as I hadn’t intended for people to feel compelled to reply who really didn’t have any information on the PG topic itself, and am genuinely sorry for wasting anyone’s time doing just that.

A top SEC coach told a friend of mine, if the kid isn’t a stud player right now he should just move on to college. Stud players should consider a PG year.

@YachtRocker posted:

Definitely not looking to get into it like this with you.  I was just looking for some information. The question was whether reclassifying technically somehow affects ones ability to be drafted in any way.. that’s it.

it wasn’t asking if people who get TJS can continue to play at a higher level, or whatever your inference was.

My brother was only trying to help me ask the right questions.. just trying not to make any mistakes.

seems like a question I should’ve asked elsewhere.

The answer is no, getting reclassified has nothing to do with getting drafted. Talent has everything to do with getting drafted.

I am just suggesting that you get his arm taken care of first.

A player doesn’t get drafted on performance. He gets drafted on metrics. Check out Heath Hembree on Baseball Cube. His college stats are brutal. But he threw 95. He’s in his 9th MLB season.

Draft year is when you’re 21. A junior in high school has four years to get his arm in shape and get his velocity back. Make it the priority. Getting back to 90 will get him recruited by a mid major.

Note: Freshman and JV count as a year of high school baseball. He could transfer to the Inter-Ac. But I don’t believe they’re big on a player entering to repeat junior year and not being able to play. They’re not PG schools. You would be using them like a PG to extend eligibility. If your son is a solid academic student he doesn’t need extra school. He needs to rehab and get back on the field in the summer and/or fall after senior year and showcase,

Last edited by RJM

Yes, reclassifying *could* negatively affect the draft.

There was a player at my son's college that did a post grad year at Phillips Exeter.  He was drafted out of college as a senior.  After playing the first summer in milb, with a bunch of recent junior draftees that were 2 year younger PLUS all the foreign guys that were much much younger, he saw the writing on the wall and "voluntarily retired" after his one summer.  But he got drafted and gets to say he played pro ball successfully.  (I just checked his stats).

EDIT:  I just read TPM's and RJM's posts that posted while I was typing (and erasing).  The fellow mentioned above was very talented, but was older.  He was drafted.....26th round....and as they say, he got "airfare home" as a bonus.   Draft year is age 21.  (You can get drafted as a 21 year old sophomore in college, too).

Last edited by keewart
@keewart posted:

Try to keep first things first.  Get your son patched up.  Get the best doc and rehab you can.

Yes, we are doing that - He's had MRI & MRArthogram & we have a MLB team's medical director that we are consulting with directly who is a family friend, as well as a second surgeon looking at him as well..  We are in very good shape there.

But, and this might seem crazy, somehow I'm actually able to do more than one thing at a time.  😐

I was simply trying to think ahead & get some freaking answers about the possibilities of, & how to handle potentially planning, a post grad year..

.. Anybody know anything about THAT?

@YachtRocker posted:

Yes, we are doing that - He's had MRI & MRArthogram & we have a MLB team's medical director that we are consulting with directly who is a family friend, as well as a second surgeon looking at him as well..  We are in very good shape there.

But, and this might seem crazy, somehow I'm actually able to do more than one thing at a time.  😐

I was simply trying to think ahead & get some freaking answers about the possibilities of, & how to handle potentially planning, a post grad year..

.. Anybody know anything about THAT?

You are feeling like these answers are unsatisfactory because people on here are telling you to focus on taking care of your son and his here-and-now injury, while you are asking about the downstream effects of his injury and rehabilitation on recruiting, eligibility, position on the field, redshirting, scholarships, test scores, and the MLB draft.  

Take care of your son. He is so much more than a baseball player. He needs your support during surgery and rehab. And if an extra year of school helps him heal better before he resumes playing baseball than so be it.

@YachtRocker my son is at a school that has a post grad program. They are placing some players but no matter how you cut it, it's an expensive way to buy time and doesn't always translate into better outcomes (some still didn't get offers, some are going to JUCO or CCs and I don't know what kind of money they are getting when they go D3-D1). It also really seems like a shame to do a PG year given your son's academic profile. With his grades and scores, it seems like you can target HA schools and work with his travel team and/or high school coach to initiate some conversations so that he is on teams' radars once he comes back. If his size and metrics translate into in-game performance, he will be the rare bird that will get noticed even late in the recruiting game. I know it's not the norm but I know a 2021 who just signed with USC (Southern California). Definitely communicate with the teams he is already in touch with. Don't necessarily signal an extra HS year unless you are absolutely sure he needs it. Unfortunately, TJ is so much more common than it used to be that I don't think it will turn away as many people as you think. A close family friend of ours tore her ACL her junior year and is still considered the top women's basketball recruit in the 2021 class (headed to UConn).

Please just do me a favor, don't rush him back so that he can be seen. I echo everyone's sentiments about getting him the best care (which it seems like you are) and make sure his focus is on getting healthy and not worrying about college baseball other than using it as a focus for his rehab. I know it doesn't seem like it now but while injuries can seem completely devastating at the time, in the end they can set a player on the right path and s/he will see long-term blessings in the temporary pain. Don't tell RockerJr. that right now though...he might want to punch you in the face if you do. LOL

One other thought. It seems as thought you've conflated PG and reclassing. If he decides to "redo" his junior year at a private school, then you would reclass him and change his graduation grade to 2023. You would be on the hook for two years of private school. If you decide you are going to do  a PG year, from what I understand, he would stay a 2022 until he goes to the new school and then he would be a PG. It would actually give you a chance to see how things shake out and you might decide you don't need a PG year.

Finally, on the draft, I'm no expert but from everything I've read age will not hurt you vis-à-vis the draft. It does give you less "time" to make it into the Majors (all things equal a team will give the 22 year old the benefit of the doubt over the 27 year old). I would not factor the draft into any decisions you make because there are so many steps before you get there.  As a parent with a draft eligible senior, it's stressful enough when it's upon you and you HAVE to think about it. Try not to think about it before you have to or you will go crazy.  That's just my two cents.

Wishing your son all the best through his surgery and rehab.

Last edited by PTWood

If the answer was YES, it would ruin his draftability, you would still get it done.   So there is no point asking.  the reality is his ability will decide if he is drafted. Zero chance without the surgery.

Get him repaired and then evaluate your next move.   One year PG would be more affordable than two years reclassified at a private.   Also a year at a JUCO might be the best option to demonstrate recovery and ability post surgery.  Google Rick at Informed Athlete and schedule a consultation.

Sorry to hear about your kid. It seems you have the surgeon and post therapy worked out which is good. All I would suggest is to get a second opinion and other week will not change things. I see more and more travel baseball orgs are now in the "PG academy" business. It is tens of thousands of dollars and can provide the exposure. Good luck

@bandera posted:

If the answer was YES, it would ruin his draftability, you would still get it done.   So there is no point asking.  the reality is his ability will decide if he is drafted. Zero chance without the surgery.

Get him repaired and then evaluate your next move.   One year PG would be more affordable than two years reclassified at a private.   Also a year at a JUCO might be the best option to demonstrate recovery and ability post surgery.  Google Rick at Informed Athlete and schedule a consultation.

for the love of Pete - HE IS GETTING THE SURGERY!!

Once again, I'm not asking about whether or not he should be getting the surgery..

I'm just trying to think ahead about what we are going to do, and HOW to go about doing it given he is having it & missing the rest of this year (& maybe into this time next year)..  😳

Because he's been in touch with a LOT of coaches that have his schedule of tournaments, showcases and camps (including theirs).

Obviously, fairly soon, he's going to need to reach back out to those coaches and say "hey Coach, my plan is to do xxxxx"

PS:  THANKS for the Rick @Informed Athlete tip - googling him now.  ❤️

@2022NYC posted:

Sorry to hear about your kid. It seems you have the surgeon and post therapy worked out which is good. All I would suggest is to get a second opinion and other week will not change things. I see more and more travel baseball orgs are now in the "PG academy" business. It is tens of thousands of dollars and can provide the exposure. Good luck

Thank you!  we have done that & have 2 more consults this week including one today. Need to move quickly as ligament can start to re-absorb making "repair" less likely if too much time passes (which then definitely means reconstruction/TJS) which won't be known until surgeon is in there - but nonetheless time is important.

Given MRI/Arthrogram results, there's definitely a tear of anterior bundle of UCL.. Have even had multiple radiologists looking at it as well as the surgeons. Fortunately am VERY blessed to have friends & family who know the right people who are helping get this done.  

That's great to read. My kid also a young 16 yo 2022 has an elbow injury (stress fracture), he was literally days from getting a couple of screws put in until a pre surg CT showed improvement (closure), so now he is on a bone stimulator and a DH checking with this ortho every month. As an over-thinker, we discussed the options in the event his recruitment summer was lost:

1. Reclass/gap at a local baseball org that is now has become a "post grad academy" + JUCO part time classes....$$$ and my kid still wants to go the HA route so I was iffy about the overall value.

2. JUCO. If he is not fully back to pre injury form, he will go to JUCO and fight for a spot and take classes.

3. Go to the Dominican and live in one of those campo de beisbol and be a "Pelotero". His trainer specializes in this....kid loved the idea....over my dead body, wife would kill me.   

I would advise to take it as it comes.  Get the surgery.  See how he does next summer.  Is there a lot of interest?  Can you tell he is still finding his way back?  I think it is good to explore his options, but having a plan set in stone before you know how well he recovers could put a lot of pressure on him.  There is really no rush to decide. I think as parents, if we act like the sky is falling, they feel that.  I think it will all become a lot more clear as he finishes rehab and starts back up.  Coaches don't care if you've had TJ.  Honestly, most kids expect to have it at some point. Timing of it usually determines the fall out.   We have two freshman that had it early last sprint (perfect timing with Covid) and both have played this spring.  One starts.  A post year probably only really matters in terms of drafting out of hs.  You would already know if that was a possibility.  In college it doesn't really matter aside from which years he would be eligible.  He would likely have 2 years where he still had some leverage.

@YachtRocker posted:

for the love of Pete - HE IS GETTING THE SURGERY!!

Once again, I'm not asking about whether or not he should be getting the surgery..

I'm just trying to think ahead about what we are going to do, and HOW to go about doing it given he is having it & missing the rest of this year (& maybe into this time next year)..  😳

Because he's been in touch with a LOT of coaches that have his schedule of tournaments, showcases and camps (including theirs).

Obviously, fairly soon, he's going to need to reach back out to those coaches and say "hey Coach, my plan is to do xxxxx"

PS:  THANKS for the Rick @Informed Athlete tip - googling him now.  ❤️

this is HS baseball, you think how you are told to think!! and to quote the American legend Ric Flair "and thats the bottom line - whoooo"

Absorb the advise some of it is very good , filter those who obviously didn't read your questions clearly, take want you want and ignore what you don't like...simple game.

Your son has a very good academic profile.  Have you considered exploring a high academic prep for a Post Grad year to further both his academic and athletic future?  Given your location in PA, there are several in New England that wouldn't be that difficult to check out.  Re-classifying through a PG year isn't very complicated and given your son's injury situation, it might be the best option for him.

I have a son who was high academic and a good player who was focused on baseball too.  He PG'd at an academic prep and it was a tremendous experience for him.  I would respectfully, but strongly disagree with well intentioned posters who don't see academic value in a PG year for a kid who already has a strong academic HS record. 

Doing a PG will effectively reset his recruiting clock, buying you a year to deal with his TJ surgery and recovery.  Essentially, your junior becomes a sophomore who's dealing with a significant injury.  As I said earlier, there are several to consider, but I'll give you one as an example - Phillips Academy Andover.  There are many others.  Andover is often cited as the best school of it's type in America.  Ranking a high school/prep school is probably a silly thing to do, but its very safe to say its a top educational institution - and it dates back to the 1700's.  The number one ranked player in the nation for 2023 according to Perfect Game plays at Andover.  D1 guys come out of there every year, along with many high academic D3 kids.

PM me if you have specific questions, I've been through this.  Given the turns this thread has taken relative to the draft, for what it's worth, mine was drafted as a sophomore in college.

First, if you haven’t already, please read @PTWood reply several times. Great information in there.
Second, your son’s SAT score is a huge bonus. Did he have any contact with Ivy or Patriot League schools before the injury? I think those schools would be more likely to keep in touch during the recovery process than most.
Third, it sounds like baseball is definitely a priority for your son. I could imagine him getting back to hitting form around this time next year. He could visit jucos and tryout that late in the year. I know you won’t rush the recovery process, but it’s realistic to think he would be ready to play a fall season of juco in 2022 (probably 1B or DH). In my limited experience, if he shows up in the fall and hits bombs, he’ll get playing time at most of the jucos in the Northeast. Harford CC in MD comes to mind. They are all about hitting, and they don’t seem to mind moving guys to 4 year colleges after just one year. He could build a nice resume at a place like that. It would also be a much less expensive option than PG, and your son would get a lot more quality ABs during the 2022-2023 school year as compared to reclass or PG. Not an ideal match for his academics, but from what you’ve described he may be ok with that.
My kid went from RHP to C to 1B during his baseball years, all because of injuries. But he still played four years of D3 baseball and I know he loved it. Many, many people on this forum have lived through injury periods with our kids (it’s the reason I found this forum almost 10 years ago). Your son’s story hasn’t been written yet, but trust that he will write it. Good luck!

@2022NYC posted:

That's great to read. My kid also a young 16 yo 2022 has an elbow injury (stress fracture), he was literally days from getting a couple of screws put in until a pre surg CT showed improvement (closure), so now he is on a bone stimulator and a DH checking with this ortho every month. As an over-thinker, we discussed the options in the event his recruitment summer was lost:

1. Reclass/gap at a local baseball org that is now has become a "post grad academy" + JUCO part time classes....$$$ and my kid still wants to go the HA route so I was iffy about the overall value.

2. JUCO. If he is not fully back to pre injury form, he will go to JUCO and fight for a spot and take classes.

3. Go to the Dominican and live in one of those campo de beisbol and be a "Pelotero". His trainer specializes in this....kid loved the idea....over my dead body, wife would kill me.   

Door #3 sounds pretty good to me.....

12 Top-Rated Beaches in the Dominican Republic | PlanetWare

A couple "una fria" with your toes in the sand

Just got to sell it to your wife, and you're good to go!!!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Post Grad won’t really effect anyone’s draft stock.

MLB would draft a kid from the outback of Australia if he could throw 98+

heck, they’d draft a 38 year old used car salesman from Abilene if he suddenly threw 102 mph

the Baseball industry has a way of blowing smoke up the you know where of parents of talented kids.

Unfortunately they barely sign all SEC hitters.

Here is a link I found (you probably did too). You would have to go through all 138 to find out if they have baseball:

https://www.boardingschoolrevi...ate-boarding-schools

I know someone who was accepted by one of the Academies but was advised to take a PG year first.  Also, some Ivy's will do the same, with and without a guarantee for a spot the following year.   I know of an ACC coach that recruited a player (listed on the players Perfect Game page) but all of a sudden he is at a Juco.  THEN he goes to the ACC school.  Similar situation happened with a local pitcher, and Ol Miss (went to a JuCo first - Florence-Darlington).  Usually when this happens there are too many players for the recruited Freshman to play his freshman year, and the player needs reps/playing time.  Btw, that pitcher who went to Florence-Darlington then Ol Miss....drafted as a junior. 

@keewart posted:

Here is a link I found (you probably did too). You would have to go through all 138 to find out if they have baseball:

https://www.boardingschoolrevi...ate-boarding-schools

I know someone who was accepted by one of the Academies but was advised to take a PG year first.  Also, some Ivy's will do the same, with and without a guarantee for a spot the following year.   I know of an ACC coach that recruited a player (listed on the players Perfect Game page) but all of a sudden he is at a Juco.  THEN he goes to the ACC school.  Similar situation happened with a local pitcher, and Ol Miss (went to a JuCo first - Florence-Darlington).  Usually when this happens there are too many players for the recruited Freshman to play his freshman year, and the player needs reps/playing time.  Btw, that pitcher who went to Florence-Darlington then Ol Miss....drafted as a junior.

This is a practice that's been going on since son went to college. Basically for walk ons. Show up for class and practice and then due to roster limits or a poor fall, go to local Juco and we will take you next fall.  Some coaches will not redshirt.

@DD 2024 posted:

You are feeling like these answers are unsatisfactory because people on here are telling you to focus on taking care of your son and his here-and-now injury, while you are asking about the downstream effects of his injury and rehabilitation on recruiting, eligibility, position on the field, redshirting, scholarships, test scores, and the MLB draft.  

Take care of your son. He is so much more than a baseball player. He needs your support during surgery and rehab. And if an extra year of school helps him heal better before he resumes playing baseball than so be it.

He's more than a baseball player?  Really?  Jeez, I never knew.  Thank you so much.

So if I take a few hours in a week to consider potential future outcomes & scenarios, & try to be proactive - then I am not taking care of my son?  

Sit down, because - amazingly -  I am superhumanly capable of both competently supporting and dealing with the present situation, while loving and throughly caring for my son, AND considering his future at the same time.  All while spending almost the majority of every day with & around him. (woah! - mind blown, right?)

good grief!  😑

@YachtRocker posted:

He's more than a baseball player?  Really?  Jeez, I never knew.  Thank you so much.

So if I take a few hours in a week to consider potential future outcomes & scenarios, & try to be proactive - then I am not taking care of my son?  

Sit down, because - amazingly -  I am superhumanly capable of both competently supporting and dealing with the present situation, while loving and throughly caring for my son, AND considering his future at the same time.  All while spending almost the majority of every day with & around him. (woah! - mind blown, right?)

good grief!  😑

Yes, indeed.

Good grief.

Best of luck to your son.  Seems like he is going to need it.

@DD 2024 posted:

I agree with you DD 2024.

There was no reason for a snarky response from him. You were only express6ing, like so many others here did, what's most important.

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.