Skip to main content

It's a particularly brutal time for an injury like that.  I think what people are trying to say is, if your son hadn't already gotten much D1 college interest, and now he is injured and no-one knows what he'll be like when he comes back, when he's missed 2 or 3 years of baseball, and given all of the covid craziness in college baseball and the surplus of players at all levels, and no-one knows right now how that is all going to play out . . . no-one can really answer your question even based on past experience about this kind of thing.  That's why people are telling you not to over-think it now.  I get it, I always over-think everything.  Trying to plan in a situation of maximum uncertainty is hard.

Anyway, you also got a lot of good practical advice; PTWood said it early on:

@PTWood posted:

@YachtRocker my son is at a school that has a post grad program. They are placing some players but no matter how you cut it, it's an expensive way to buy time and doesn't always translate into better outcomes (some still didn't get offers, some are going to JUCO or CCs and I don't know what kind of money they are getting when they go D3-D1).

I was simply asking for information on PG.. that’s all.

Not judgement, nor how to think, or how I’m not keeping in mind what’s important.. etc.

I will ask some coaches familiar with the matter. Much of this is more like parents.com than I anticipated.

When does Alan Funt come out and tell me we’re on Candid Camera?

I did learn a lot - thanks to all who gave me info on their PG knowledge and experiences.  

It looks like a lot of people took time to give you advice.  Much of that advice comes from parents who are also dealing with the Covid fallout and simply telling you that planning a future before a surgery is pointless.  Even more so right now.  It seems like you came here more to get your opinion validated than to actually hear advice.  Most everyone was polite and gave you well thought out responses.  The blunt truth is that the chances are really slim, so you need to decide if you want to spend the money for a PG year to just put him a year behind into college graduation. That is a very real possibility.  Outside of that, if he has been talking to coaches, yes he should let them know if he is taking a PG year. Best of luck to your son.  I hope it all turns out well.

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

It seems like you came here more to get your opinion validated than to actually hear advice.  Most everyone was polite and gave you well thought out responses.  The blunt truth is that the chances are really slim, so you need to decide if you want to spend the money for a PG year to just put him a year behind into college graduation.

^^^^^^^^^ ***********

You guys have jumped on YachtRocker for looking to the future.  Trying to develop a plan for his son as/when he recovers.  That does not make him a bad parent but a good one.  It is like planning for retirement or putting money away for college rather than counting on baseball.  It is planning which is what many of us A type personalities do.  He came here asking for advice from someone who had been there as to pros and cons on taking a post grad year since his son was hurt.  Some of you have blasted him as a bad parent because, in your opinions, he was more worried about baseball than his son.  I can tell you when my son was hurt last year, I did the same thing.  I looked at every opportunity to get him the best care for his current situation but also looked at the worst case scenario just in case I would have a plan to help him through it.  I understand.  When our kids are hurt, we fill out time by trying to help them with a plan before they need it.  JMO

Maybe tone translates different to different people.  I didn't see that.  I just saw most people warning him against making the decision too soon.  Knowing your options is always a good idea, but in this environment, deciding to reclass before you see how recovery goes, could just put him behind in college and make his son feel like he wasted his parents money on a post grad year.  None of us know what next year holds with the one time transfer and I think people were just trying to warn him that it is a harsh world in baseball right now.  

Its hard to read intent when you are online, but I think most people here really do try to be helpful.

@2022NYC posted:

That's great to read. My kid also a young 16 yo 2022 has an elbow injury (stress fracture), he was literally days from getting a couple of screws put in until a pre surg CT showed improvement (closure), so now he is on a bone stimulator and a DH checking with this ortho every month. As an over-thinker, we discussed the options in the event his recruitment summer was lost:

1. Reclass/gap at a local baseball org that is now has become a "post grad academy" + JUCO part time classes....$$$ and my kid still wants to go the HA route so I was iffy about the overall value.

2. JUCO. If he is not fully back to pre injury form, he will go to JUCO and fight for a spot and take classes.

3. Go to the Dominican and live in one of those campo de beisbol and be a "Pelotero". His trainer specializes in this....kid loved the idea....over my dead body, wife would kill me.   

@2022NYC: What's the name of the local baseball org that's now a "post grad academy"? I'm creating my "in case of emergency break glass" plan for my 2022 if summer doesn't pan out and I live near-ish to you.

@YachtRocker I think you are doing exactly the right thing here. These people who are saying "just take care of your kid, you jerk" are completely missing the point. If your son doesn't reclass or take a PG year he WILL NOT be able to play baseball in college. If he does, he will have a chance to do that even with this injury. Simple as that. This is especially important now because all these schools have 22 year old sophomores who will still be there in the fall of 2022. So don't let the haters get you down. If you don't start planning right now it will be too late. I hope someone in this group can share his/her experience so that we can all learn about the pros and cons.

PitchingFan is right, of course you should have a plan going forward.  Baseballhs is also right.  PTWood is right.  So was everyone else.  I think what everyone is trying to say is, baseball in this situation is going to be very hard, don't just have one plan, have several.  I don't agree that if he doesn't reclass he won't play in college at all, but you need a PG plan, a JUCO plan, a D3 plan, whatever.

Because of the covid crunch, many players are reclassifying, may take PG years, are going to jucos, are moving down a level, etc.  Whatever anyone's experiences in the past have been, they may not be the same now.  Academies are jumping to make money off this.  No-one will know whether it is/was a good idea to PG until the dust settles in a few years.

An alternative to reclassifying for a kid with good grades is graduate and put off going to college for a year. Between now and the year off rehab, get strong again and showcase.

Take a couple of transferable credit courses at a JuCo just to stay in the mental shape of studying. Head for college one year late and play baseball.

Moral of this thread seems to be the illusion of control... you must do what you think is best for your kid at this present time. If a gap year is what it takes, then that is what it takes.

Having an A type personality was challenging even prior to Covid. Add a legit arm injury, and I can see where the pucker factor goes through the roof. @YachtRocker for what's worth, some long-time posters on here have their own writing styles, and may come off abrasive at times. However, if you don't take it personal their wisdom/knowledge is almost always correct.

Also, remember Door #3.... sunshine and sand goes a long way

@PitchingFan posted:

You guys have jumped on YachtRocker for looking to the future.  Trying to develop a plan for his son as/when he recovers.  That does not make him a bad parent but a good one.  It is like planning for retirement or putting money away for college rather than counting on baseball.  It is planning which is what many of us A type personalities do.  He came here asking for advice from someone who had been there as to pros and cons on taking a post grad year since his son was hurt.  Some of you have blasted him as a bad parent because, in your opinions, he was more worried about baseball than his son.  I can tell you when my son was hurt last year, I did the same thing.  I looked at every opportunity to get him the best care for his current situation but also looked at the worst case scenario just in case I would have a plan to help him through it.  I understand.  When our kids are hurt, we fill out time by trying to help them with a plan before they need it.  JMO

PF,

I agree with you. Developing a plan is important.  This poster had no plan, he was just throwing out stuff and he wanted answers. Not too many  reclassified due to injury, its expensive and most players do not need 5 years of HS because they got hurt. He was all over the place with the surgery and rehab plan.

PTWOOD gave advice on IMG.

Baseballhs gave great advice of the current state of affairs in college baseball.

RJM gave sage advice as did anotherparent.

I understand how you felt last year. When son had to have surgery while on ML roster, he was designated for assignment. Many have had similar situations, had injuries, lost their position, cut from program, etc. $hit happens to everyone.  Before we could proceed they had to see what was going on.  It was a simple fix, but a longer than expected rehab. Did we go crazy, no.

What was so terrible in suggesting get surgery asap and see what's going on?  He said his son was a position player, that's a shorter rehab.

Everyone these days should look to the future if something happens. We have definetly had parents or players come here with injuries and advice.  And it's always been given with the best intentions.

What is the first thing said. Take care of injury  asap.

Right Francis?

Many are coming here about their playets getting cut, not playing, what do you do? Good advice has been given, in a really tough college baseball environment. 

I don't know what went wrong with yachtrocker. Probably the manic attitude, then the nasty attitude.  We don't need that. If you have so many people helping, why come here? 

Definetly ask those coaches for their opinion.

My advice. If you don't like us here, move on.

@YachtRocker posted:

I was simply asking for information on PG.. that’s all.

Not judgement, nor how to think, or how I’m not keeping in mind what’s important.. etc.

I will ask some coaches familiar with the matter. Much of this is more like parents.com than I anticipated.

When does Alan Funt come out and tell me we’re on Candid Camera?

I did learn a lot - thanks to all who gave me info on their PG knowledge and experiences.  

Welcome to HSBW, where posters wait for a reason to post a 20k word missive detailing how woke they are. Sad what this site has become.

To add, since I have been away for several days to see some live baseball (YAY!), some of us here have had kids with major injury.  TPMson and keewartson included.  It is a terrible, gutwretching, feeling no matter the level of play.

I am a Type A planner, too, and I realized with son's latest injury, IT IS TOTALLY OUT OF MY CONTROL.  I cannot be the surgeon, I cannot do the rehab,  I cannot control Covid, I cannot make the coach put him in the lineup.

Provide the resources a parent can provide.  We really do wish you well and hope you will follow up to let others reading a year from now the outcome.  We love great outcomes and we hope your son is one!

Last edited by keewart

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.