Skip to main content

Son was cut from team after the fall concluded and has since, withdrawn from the classes and now will be looking for a new school in spring.  He has already signed up at the local Juco but does he have to ask for permission to speak with them about baseball from his older school?  Why he was cut is a big mystery as he was leading the fall team in hitting and defense, works his tail off day and night both academic and baseball (not only when the coach was looking, but when he wasn't as well), and even had chants of "MVP" during scrimmages in fall every time he got up to bat or made a diving catch from the players on his team due to his performance. His meeting with the coach at the end of the year he was expecting to be named a front runner for RF (if not being named the starter), so being "let go" came as a little shock.  He has about 50 plus credits already (had 20 plus from AP in high school and took summer classes), so he is only a few classes away from getting his associates that he will attain this spring.  It was a D3 and i know someone will say why even attempt to play at another school if he is not a pro prospect, but i will just say that the kid doesn't want it to end like this.  He is 6'1 with a sub 7 60 and 90 plus EV with wood bat...so he would like to finish out his college career and then would like to coach on the side after college.

So, with all that said...any experience with this out there and if so, how likely or what COA does he take in order to start discussion with other coaches. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

phillyinNJ posted:

Son was cut from team after the fall concluded and has since, withdrawn from the classes and now will be looking for a new school in spring.  He has already signed up at the local Juco but does he have to ask for permission to speak with them about baseball from his older school?  Why he was cut is a big mystery as he was leading the fall team in hitting and defense, works his tail off day and night both academic and baseball (not only when the coach was looking, but when he wasn't as well), and even had chants of "MVP" during scrimmages in fall every time he got up to bat or made a diving catch from the players on his team due to his performance. His meeting with the coach at the end of the year he was expecting to be named a front runner for RF (if not being named the starter), so being "let go" came as a little shock.  He has about 50 plus credits already (had 20 plus from AP in high school and took summer classes), so he is only a few classes away from getting his associates that he will attain this spring.  It was a D3 and i know someone will say why even attempt to play at another school if he is not a pro prospect, but i will just say that the kid doesn't want it to end like this.  He is 6'1 with a sub 7 60 and 90 plus EV with wood bat...so he would like to finish out his college career and then would like to coach on the side after college.

So, with all that said...any experience with this out there and if so, how likely or what COA does he take in order to start discussion with other coaches. 

send me a PM, we can talk. I will be back in the office after lunch time. 

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

Somewhere there seems to be a disconnect between the coaches perception of your sons performance and your/your son’s perception, because teams don’t typically cut guys who are performing as you described. Makes no sense. Something else is at play here.

we can't figure it out...trust me, a little shocked. He showed up this fall...leading the team in metrics and field play...its just one of those things.  His baseball mentor told him it was already pre-determined and that nothing he could of done short of batting 1.000 with all his hits as HR's would have saved him from being let go.  I know its hard to believe as i'm still trying to piece it together, but I don't look at him with rose colored glasses.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

Why would he withdraw from classes instead of finishing the semester? Does that have any impact on his grades or is it as if he was never enrolled in them?

no impact on grades as even with the lost semester, he has over 50 plus credit hours...he had 25 going into college freshman year and took two classes during the summer.  He's a deans list student.

phillyinNJ posted:
collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

Somewhere there seems to be a disconnect between the coaches perception of your sons performance and your/your son’s perception, because teams don’t typically cut guys who are performing as you described. Makes no sense. Something else is at play here.

we can't figure it out...trust me, a little shocked. He showed up this fall...leading the team in metrics and field play...its just one of those things.  His baseball mentor told him it was already pre-determined and that nothing he could of done short of batting 1.000 with all his hits as HR's would have saved him from being let go.  I know its hard to believe as i'm still trying to piece it together, but I don't look at him with rose colored glasses.

He's a sophomore, right?  Did he play last year?

Tough deal for sure but as already noted, this makes absolutely no sense. Coaching at the collegiate level is a business and those who don't treat it as such, don't survive long. I have an incredibly hard time believing that a HC would cut this type of player for no apparent reason. I am familiar with numerous situations where an elite player is sent packing but in every case it was due to a violation of NCAA, school, or team rules. Also aware of a couple of "cancer in the locker-room" cuts but sounds like your son was liked by his teammates. 

I am assuming that someone on the staff sat him down and shared that he was no longer part of the team? If so, there was no reason provided as to why?

Not to be controversial but teammates chanting "MVP" at a teammate could also be the result of a player telling everyone how great he is all the time and the teammates are razzing him.  I am not saying that is what is at play here but if someone was as good as stated a coach wouldn't cut, but someone who thinks he's the bomb and is rubbing all the teammates and coaches the wrong way could be cut.  Again no idea what's at play here just giving a possible scenario.  

phillyinNJ posted:

Why would he withdraw from classes instead of finishing the semester? Does that have any impact on his grades or is it as if he was never enrolled in them?

no impact on grades as even with the lost semester, he has over 50 plus credit hours...he had 25 going into college freshman year and took two classes during the summer.  He's a deans list student.

Not my area of expertise but I think what Terrible was referring to is that at most places, if you don't drop by a certain early date, official transcripts reflect something negative - not sure if that is "failed", "incomplete" or other.  I am curious to hear your particular situation as it relates to this just as a learning point for me and anyone else here interested.

he doesn't boast at all...he's the quiet one who just goes out and works.  No swag or bat flip or gang signs after hitting a double.  He's a good kid with a great work ethic.  Didn't play last year as his fall was horrible...again, I tell him how it is and when I saw him play last year I told him he was last in my eyes...after first week of this year's fall practice, coach pulled him in with other coaches and told him he surprised him with the performance and that he proved the coach wrong (i'm thinking the coach didn't think he could play)...he kept on mashing throughout fall...during last scrimmage he got injured (concussion) and then following week cut.  Again, I would think the same thing that you guys are if I read on the forum about this, but it definitely is a head scratcher.  

cabbagedad posted:
phillyinNJ posted:

Not my area of expertise but I think what Terrible was referring to is that at most places, if you don't drop by a certain early date, official transcripts reflect something negative - not sure if that is "failed", "incomplete" or other.  I am curious to hear your particular situation as it relates to this just as a learning point for me and anyone else here interested.

He got two transcripts upon his departure and it just had a “w” for withdrawal next to the courses.  He brought his transcript to the juco here next to us and already pre registered to finish the 3 or 4 courses he needs for the associates.  No issues from the academic side from what i can see but not my area of expertise by any means. :-)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.