Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Millionaire college presidents
The 10 best-compensated private college presidents
By The Associated Press, Associated Press

Leaders in Total Compensation at Private Colleges, 2007-8. Source: IRS tax reports analyzed by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

1. Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute: $1,598,247

2. David Sargent, Suffolk University: $1,496,593

3. Steadman Upham, University of Tulsa: $1,485,275

4. Cornelius M. Kerwin, American University: $1,419,339

5. Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia: $1,380,035

6. Donald V. DeRosa, University of the Pacific: $1,350,743

7. John E. Sexton, New York University: $1,297,475

8. Jerry C. Lee, National University: $1,189,777

9. Nicholas S. Zeppos, Vanderbilt: $1,275,309

10. Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania: $1,225,103

Note: Total compensation may include deferred compensation and other benefits and is not necessarily take-home salary. Kerwin, who was named president in 2007, was provost for much of the period covered.
Sorry that the link doesn't work.
Its a riddle for me, as I posted it and it still works for me.
Still, I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

re: "why does it matter what the head of a business makes."

It matter a lot when its not performance-consistent and there are unredeemed shareholders or underpaid /laid-off staff.

Case-in-point: Former GM CEO Rick Wagner's 2007 compensation: $15.7mil.

More at the local level, some of us factor excessive executive compensation into purchase decisions.

and when you ask : "What is excessive compensation?"

I answer "Its whatever I say it is, because its my money Im spending."

Free market cuts both ways.

Without public scrutiny, excessive compensation tends to become the norm rather than the exception.
quote:
Without public scrutiny, excessive compensation tends to become the norm rather than the exception.
Public scrutiny of executive pay generates class warfare. A majority of people are jealous of those with high salaries. Each of these institutions has a board of directors responsible for the direction of the organization. If they don't feel the president is getting the job done they will remove the person. In the business sector major stockholders also become an influential part of the process.

I never consider executive pay and corporate profits when I make a purchase. I consider the quality and value of the product.
Last edited by RJM
Are facilities of higher education not generally organized as 501(c)(3) Organizations?

I believe that there is a distinction between Owners of Equity Positions in a free market Capitalistic Society, and employees on Non Profit Institutions.

At least there used to be...

I am a Free Market guy, but if you want to make the big bucks put some Risk Capital in Play.
quote:
It makes you wonder what determines compensation.

The single factor most influencing college executives' pay is:

Fund raising.

Raise tens or even hundreds of millions, and you get paid 7 figures.

From the standpoint of the institution, it makes a lot of sense actually. And while there's no capital in play, those who have the knack for raising the big bucks do command the big bucks in return. So their positions are determined in the free market, even if the schools themselves don't operate there.
quote:
Originally posted by HaverDad:
quote:
I never consider executive pay and corporate profits when I make a purchase.

my my what a surprise...
Surprise? I buy everything we need and some of what we want. I look for value in what I purchase whether the item is discounted or expensive crossed with the sensibility of the purchase. Why should I be concerned with what the CEO earns? The board and major stockholders can determine if he's earning his money.
My uncle donated literally tens of millions of dollars to the school at the top of the list and when he died a year ago this week the esteemed president was too busy to show up for his funeral.

Not sure what it means for this thread but for me it didn't reflect too well on her. Maybe she hit her fund raising quota and didn't feel a need to show her respect. Unfortunately, they will be receiving tens of millions more in his will.
Last edited by igball
quote:
1. Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute: $1,598,247

2. David Sargent, Suffolk University: $1,496,593

3. Steadman Upham, University of Tulsa: $1,485,275

4. Cornelius M. Kerwin, American University: $1,419,339

5. Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia: $1,380,035

6. Donald V. DeRosa, University of the Pacific: $1,350,743

7. John E. Sexton, New York University: $1,297,475

8. Jerry C. Lee, National University: $1,189,777

9. Nicholas S. Zeppos, Vanderbilt: $1,275,309

10. Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania: $1,225,103

That is peanuts compared to what football coaches get.
quote:
Originally posted by HaverDad:
re: "why does it matter what the head of a business makes."

It matter a lot when its not performance-consistent and there are unredeemed shareholders or underpaid /laid-off staff.

Case-in-point: Former GM CEO Rick Wagner's 2007 compensation: $15.7mil.

More at the local level, some of us factor excessive executive compensation into purchase decisions.

and when you ask : "What is excessive compensation?"

I answer "Its whatever I say it is, because its my money Im spending."

Free market cuts both ways.

How soon will you be publishing your annual compensation package so that we have an opportunity to evaluate whether you are overcompensated?

Extending you thoughts above, are you suggesting that all U.S. citizens be subject to a special paymaster (corporate salary czar) who assures that everyone paid similar levels of salary according to job title?

Where are you going with this? Why do you insert yourself into the private lives & liberties of our citizens by probing into their salaries & compensation packages, then commenting publicly about whether these people earn their salaries? According to you, you get to define excessive compensation. Who gets to define performance-consistent?

Seems to me that these are all private issues settled within the employer/employee relationship & negotiations.
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion.

As a consumer, I don't care what an executive makes. It does not impact my purchasing decisions - of course I wouldn't buy a GM product anyway Smile

On the other hand, I dabble in the stock market. If I am a shareholder of a company, (which makes me an owner and someone who is paying a few pennies of that salary), I care about what someone is paid with my money. If I don't think someone earned their pay, I either vote against the board or I sell the stock.

I suppose that makes GM a special case as all US Citizens own a piece of the company...
Last edited by 08Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.