Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You don't have to get a clean hit to get credit for RBI. The situation here is comparable to what happens if you have a guy on 3d, one out, batter grounds out 4-3 with the run scoring. Credit the RBI.

BTW, suppose you'd had 2 outs when you started and the appeal had been the 3d out. To my understanding, the appeal is a time play and thus all runs scoring before the out is recorded would count, with RBI credited to the batter. Someone correct me if there is an exception where the appeal makes the out at first (i.e., is it then treated as if it were a force out, so that the runs wouldn't count?).
Last edited by Midlo Dad
With two out, no run scores if B/R is successfuly appealed for missing first base.
From OBR 4.09(a) .... A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out;...

This seems very clear, since B/R didn't touch first base, but OBR sometimes uses "touch" when it really means "reach". The B/R did reach first base, and unless appealed, will be deemed to have touched it. However, the NCAA phrasing removes any doubt:
NCAA 8-5j: A.R. 1—No run may score on any play when the third out is either a force out or the result of a batter-runner’s failure to reach first base safely.

By the way, technically a batter-runner is not forced to first base, but the rules are written such that no harm comes from thinking of it as a force.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
NCAA 8-5j: A.R. 1—No run may score on any play when the third out is either a force out or the result of a batter-runner’s failure to reach first base safely.

Is there something in the rules that clarifies whether this is specifically applicable to the appeal situation? If we change the scenario in the OP to a 2-out situation when the play started, did the batter-runner "reach first base safely" even if he failed to touch it?

What I'm thinking is that maybe somewhere in the rules regarding time plays, this situation might be specifically addressed as an exception. But, I don't a rule book handy.
Feeling a little stubborn today? Smile

If the B/R reached "first base safely", how could he be out on appeal? The successful appeal shows that he didn't reach safely.

Maybe this will help: From OBR
Rule 4.09 Comment: APPROVED RULING: No run shall score during a play in which the third out is made by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Example: One out, Jones on second, Smith on first. The batter, Brown, hits safely. Jones scores. Smith is out on the throw to the plate. Two outs. But Brown missed first base. The ball is thrown to first, an appeal is made, and Brown is out. Three outs. Since Jones crossed the plate during a play in which the third out was made by the batter-runner before he touched first base, Jones’ run does not count.

This ruling illustrates a couple of things.
1) When a missed base is appealed, the out occurs at the time of the appeal.
2) But if the third out is a force or if the B/R was "forced" to first, scoring is not a time play.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.