Skip to main content

How long do your catchers mitts typically last you before it is time to get a new one? My past two mitts have only lasted me a year each (year consists of 80+ games catching 84+mph pitching), and I was wondering if that was unusual. How often do pros change mitts?
Thanks

PS: My mitts were the All-Star 3000SBT and the Akadema Praying Mantis APM42
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While son was in HS gloves seemed to last for 2-3 years, in college they lasted about 1 1/2 to 2 years, however he was using 2 different gloves in college so the average life was probebely a season catching guys throwing 83-97.

He always keep the gloves cleaned and oiled, you never saw puffs of dirt coming out of the glove while he was catching. He never threw the glove, jammed it into a bag, left it on wet grass, dirt etc or touched the ground with it unless blocking. Dirt is like sandpaper to the glove. Bottom line if the glove is becoming floppy or torn, its time to retire it.

Professionally its hard to say as I think he now changes gloves before they become "less useful" as the only issue is breaking in a new glove rather then cost. At the begining of the last two seasons he started with two new gloves in addition to his various hold overs. I might also add the gloves he now gets are made of higher quality leather then those you would typically find in a good sporting goods store.
You can keep them alive for years. I have a glove I bought in 1982 (Wilson A2403 made in USA) that I just reconditioned and relaced. I added some padding. It looks nearly new. I used it college to catch Jack McDowell and Mike Mussina in the bullpen. It got worked 5 times harder than a glove used in the games.

I also have a replacement glove that was used as well 1986 (Wilson A2403 made in Japan) that just got relaced and my 10 year son uses. I still play adult league and used this glove. It's better than the new Rawlings I just bought.

If you keep the leather conditioned, they will last a long time.
Some really good comments here made by collegeparent/stanford.......

I am not discounting the natural breakdown of padding from higher level pitching velocity...but much of "mitt life" is definately connected to how it is treated by the player....a well treated glove has a significantly longer life span...

Here is the best advice...(IMO) given to date.....

"He always keep the gloves cleaned and oiled, you never saw puffs of dirt coming out of the glove while he was catching. He never threw the glove, jammed it into a bag, left it on wet grass, dirt etc or touched the ground with it unless blocking. Dirt is like sandpaper to the glove."

wet, sweaty, dirty gloves thrown into a bag and stored in a hot car are going to deterioate fast...

Now to Stanford's excellent comment.......you do get what you pay for...and I am a believer that the gloves of the past were made of superior stuff...I too still have my first catchers mitt...a Nokona Bulldog from the '70s.....and used it to catch my son well into the 2000's...now well retired to my trophy case....

In the Mitt arena, you can buy gloves from $75-$300....and expecting a discount model to last is for years is a poor gamble at best....

In the higher baseball I do, I see a lot of Wilson A2000's and the Rawlings Pro Prefered...and a smattering of Mizuno and All Star...

Try them on, because they fit differently, treat them right...keep them clean, let them dry out after getting sweaty...treat the leather and tend to the laces....and you will get more life....

And if you get one you fall in love with...and "old faithful"...remember that like a pair of really good shoes...they can be rebuilt to like new status.....

Now from my sons time behind the in dish in college...he had a gamer...and a newer backup he used in BP/bullpens....called it his "gamer in training".....
Last edited by piaa_ump

Like a lot of things in baseball, some of this might be personal preference, but my son usually gets 1-2 years out of a glove.  (Shin guards are another story!)

Of course, he has a gamer, a gamer in training and a back up glove.  However, like a lot of players, he tends to use his gamer most of the time because of confidence in the glove.

He does take very good care of his gloves.  He always "hand carries" them separately from his catcher's bag etc.  Although this does get harder to do on college road trips...  (They have never seen the inside of his bag.)

Like most college catchers, he is catching a lot of bullpens all Fall, pens & games in Spring, as well as a pretty intense summer ball schedule.  (He also catches several MLB pitchers in off season.)  Obviously, glove quality matters, but I might add that "pocket awareness" has something to do with glove longevity.  He has never complained about lack of padding, but has needed to replace the pocket strings 2-3 times a season, which seems to be the biggest problem with increased velo from pitchers.

He switched to Wilson A2k glove the last 3 years at suggestion by MLB catcher friend and he loves it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.