Skip to main content

What does it actually mean, interest-wise,  if you're invited to the MLB draft prospect link website to answer their questionnaires , and does it mean more if individual teams are requesting their own questionnaire be filled out as well? I don't want to get overly excited over what is an initial step but it's kind of exciting for son to see "NY Mets have invited you to fill out their questionnaire" in his email...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

KilroyJ posted:

What does it actually mean, interest-wise,  if you're invited to the MLB draft prospect link website to answer their questionnaires , and does it mean more if individual teams are requesting their own questionnaire be filled out as well? I don't want to get overly excited over what is an initial step but it's kind of exciting for son to see "NY Mets have invited you to fill out their questionnaire" in his email...

That's awesome!  But, yeah, temper it around others, one step at a time. 

One of the kids in our program several years ago got the same and, ironically, it was also from the Mets.  He handled it great but the dad couldn't stop telling everyone the Mets were interested in his kid.  Nothing came of it in this instance, except everyone in the community getting tired of hearing it from dad.  Pretty darn exciting anyway!

bacdorslider posted:

First step.... fill it out and send it back... they will likely come in the spring and watch a game or two... maybe want to come by the house for a visit.... 

When MLB office starts asking for a urine test your getting in the game

I can't speak from experience in high school  MLB scouting, but I can share what another parent shared with me:

If a team representative comes for a home visit, they are checking out more than your son: how much would it take in bonus money to keep him from college ball?  How much is your house worth, with a quick look-see?  What cars are in the driveway?  Basically, what kind of life will he be giving up, or how low can we go and still get him?

If money questions are on the questionnaires, leave them blank.  It is still early.  

I believe the urine test, and an eye test, before the draft is for the top 200 players.  There are  still 1000 other players that will be drafted.  If your son is drafted, and not the top 200, he will eventually have to do a urine test.  Players need to stay clean.  He may not get a warning.  Son's urine test was in the middle of conference tournament games.  Literally....like at the field.

Advisors may start contacting your son. (They contact you; not the other way around).  Do some research and reach out to others on this board that had sons drafted out of high school.  College scouting is a bit different as they are 3 years older, legal to sign contracts, and 3 years of college are in the books.  Parents aren't around for the interviews.  It was fun watching the scouts and cross checkers at games however   

I know it is an exciting time, but try try try to keep it humble.   Because you never know.  

It is tough because people ask questions and want to know.  We try to limit answers but it is exciting for people in your lives and community.  I always finish the statement with but you never know.  I have known kids that I thought were guaranteed draft picks out of high school that never got a sniff.  Or name a certain player near us that was supposed to be a second rounder according to his dad if they are in the know.

This kid was flaunted as a guaranteed second rounder by his dad vocally to anyone who would listen and even shouted it at games "Throw it second rounder."  Supposedly he told them it would take $1.2 million to get him.   He also had a little run in with the law and was arrested and also suspended from school in the fall.  He had a not so great senior year and his name was never called.  He is playing P5 ball so maybe it gets called when dad is somewhat out of the picture if they can fix his control issues and the other stuff.

I have also had kids that didn't think they were going to get their name called until the last week.  One kid who is still a great pro pitcher that played a few games for me had no clue but really ramped it up in the last two weeks of high school ball and his name was called early.  He had no time to plan for the future but the future found him. 

We have 2 guys on our hs team that are projected to go in the first 2 rounds.  They have scouts at the house frequently and there are scouts at the hs practices.  I wouldn't say they talk about it a lot, but everyone knows, and I read the projection lists.  I'm really happy for them.  I hope they both go high and it is nice to have the scouts around who can see the other guys.  Its good for them, our school, the community.  Excited to see how it pans out.

PitchingFan posted:

It is tough because people ask questions and want to know.  We try to limit answers but it is exciting for people in your lives and community.  I always finish the statement with but you never know.  ...

Pitchingfan, if this is in any way a response to my post, I'm totally with you... heck yeah, it's exciting as he(( and I would be excited to share with anyone who asked.  But the dad I was referring to was regularly cornering people who didn't ask...  one of those situations where guys would bet on how long it would take him to bring it up when he entered a conversation.  

baseballhs posted:

We have 2 guys on our hs team that are projected to go in the first 2 rounds.  They have scouts at the house frequently and there are scouts at the hs practices.  I wouldn't say they talk about it a lot, but everyone knows, and I read the projection lists.  I'm really happy for them.  I hope they both go high and it is nice to have the scouts around who can see the other guys.  Its good for them, our school, the community.  Excited to see how it pans out.

Except those scouts aren’t looking at the other guys, they are looking at the 1-2 that are prospects. I’ve seen it for years, once the inning ends and that pitcher leaves the mound, the radar guns go in the bag and the scouts talk amongst themselves until he comes out to pitch again, or his next AB if a position player.

Last edited by 2022OFDad
2022OFDad posted:
baseballhs posted:

Except those scouts aren’t looking at the other guys, they are looking at the 1-2 that are prospects. I’ve seen it for years, once the inning ends and that pitcher leaves the mound, the radar guns go in the bag and the scouts talk amongst themselves until he comes out to pitch again, or his next AB if a position player.

That's part of it. If they see something that catches their eye or is worth watching they will stick around, if not they're gone. Either way it is still an opportunity. I would assume a HS team with 2 high draft picks would have a few more good players. If they are in a state like Texas or SoCal, the odds of them playing a team with other D1 commits/prospects is even higher. 

A few years ago 2019s HS was down in SC for spring training. There were 2 MLB scouts at the field next to us watching a position player committed to an SEC school. They were playing a small school from a state where it snows 7 months a year. Pitcher comes out and makes their guy look bad in first two AB. Scout runs to car and grabs radar gun. Kid is still pumping 89-90 in the 6th inning. Kid played no travel ball, never really got on the scene and was committed to a local D2. Both players would be drafted be the same organization that June. 

2022OFDad posted:
baseballhs posted:

I agree, unless there are younger guys who are possible draft options.

2022OFDad posted:
baseballhs posted:

Sometimes we would have 30-50 guys with guns and notepads watching our HS pitcher.  He was expected to go high....and was an eventual 1st rounder out of an ACC school.  But our story is, after one HS game, one of the scouts went to our HS HC and asked where the short stop was committed.  My son was only a sophomore at the time and not committed anywhere and no one had shown interest yet.  The scout said that he was going to contact a university, and that weekend we were on our way to our very first unofficial visit.  Those scouts are sometimes the eyes and ears for their college coach buddies.

"Always play like someone is watching...."

I also think it depends on the community and the family.  Our small community has never had much exposure to even D1 recruiting much less pro scouting.  There is an excitement among most of the community but there are always those who think it should be their kid who throws 81.  Through the years I have seen kids and families deal with it good and those who didn't.  I think the money question goes a long way in deciding how much exposure a kid will get once the talent and measurables are there.  I have seen kids get surprised on both sides.  Those who thought their name would be called and wasn't and those who didn't expect it, or very high, and it was.  The second is better.  I know a family that had a selection day party and invited everyone and spent crazy amounts of money to never get a phone call at all.  Money was too high for talent level.  It was sad for the family but humbling and it is still talked about in that community ten years later.  Kid never matured in college and never heard his name.  Being noticed is a big deal but only the beginning of the process and the process is different for every family. 

2022OFDad posted:
baseballhs posted:

That was our experience.   Son's HS senior year our ace pitcher (94-95 FB) was getting significant interest from several MLB scouts and coaches from a few D1 schools.  It actually started during fall ball when we noticed a few scouts at a few of the fall games.  It really ramped up the following spring.   First game of the spring season found 20 scouts w/radar guns behind the backstop.    When he left the mound in the later part of the game, they left as well - this pattern would pretty much remain for the rest of the season.   They were pretty much there just to see him and no one else.   Some parents hoped they would notice their sons but it just didn't happen.   We came to calling it the "circus".    If the circus was in town then we knew who was pitching.

The ace pitcher's parents were very humble and laid back.   Never heard them brag or promote their son.  

FWIW - this pitcher was eventually drafted by the Rays in the 6th round.   He was projected to go as high as the 4th.   Signed with them on graduation day.

From my exp. scouts have an area ......the good ones will know every kid that is a remote prospect in their area and some out of area. . Sure they are coming to see the kid throwing 94-95.... and IF they see someone that catches their eye chances are they make a note and follow up with the high school coach or travel coach. 

Many times they have just enough time to see the one the org has told them to write a report on.  You guys would be surprised how many times a scout writes a report on high school or college player and you never know it.  Not all reports are good ones.  

Enjoy  the process it's fun no doubt, but until you get the heat coming to see you , you are not going to get a big check.  College is the best route 

Questionnaires are exciting, as mentioned be careful with what you say on them about willingness to go draft over college or numbers etc. All area scouts have to submit these to their cross checkers. Home visits are the next steps along with workouts, urine/eye tests. Have fun, enjoy it and stay grounded. Keep the board up to speed on the outcome, we love to hear what happens and where the kids end up!

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

My 2019 has been invited to a couple more private workouts, he just did one a couple weeks ago  . This one had from 2020s- to Jr’s in college and had some jucos kids . Had 12 area scouts with a few cross checkers and 1 national cross check . I recognized most of them . With my son speaking to a few . But it’s part of he process . He has another one in a few weeks for 1 team that will have scouting directors and such , but we take it as it’s part of process and roll with it , we don’t get too excited . But you never know .. just keep working 

Enjoy the experiences, learn from them, and stay humble. You never know which team is really interested in you until draft day.  My son attended 6 workouts in different states in the 10 days prior to the draft.  The team that selected him was one who showed minimal interest, and did not fly him out for a workout. Son got a call 9 minutes before selection announced, caught at least me off guard. In this case team kept their interest closely to the vest.  

In my son's prospectlink it asked for a copy of his latest physical and we then had to take him to the eye doctor to have his MLB vision assessment form filled out for his eye exam. (He's a pitcher by the way). 

So not all prospects in the MLB online prospect link questionnaires are asked to have this done? I just figured it was part of the new process? Asking. 

Dirk posted:

In my son's prospectlink it asked for a copy of his latest physical and we then had to take him to the eye doctor to have his MLB vision assessment form filled out for his eye exam. (He's a pitcher by the way). 

So not all prospects in the MLB online prospect link questionnaires are asked to have this done? I just figured it was part of the new process? Asking. 

Son was drafted after junior year in college 2017. Obviously, things could have changed in 2 years.  Maybe HS potential draftees are vetted differently.

In the email link he received:   "...Under the Medical Program, the MLB Scouting Bureau will collect medical records form the top 300 prospects for the upcoming First-year Payer Draft and provide these records to the Clubs through Major League Baseball's Electronic Medical Records System.  You have been identified as a top 300 prospect....."

This included a medical history, orthopedic questionnaire (we had to send CD's of surgery) and Vision Exam.

Dirk posted:

my son was asked for the eye exam as well-  he'd just had one done recently so we went back and just had the MLB paperwork filled out. The optometrist had never seen one before and was surprised with the level of detail they were asking!

Just trying to help clarify some comments on here. This is the first year of the MLB draft prospect link, so any comments that say they used it in the past are incorrect. The link was set up by all 30 clubs and the commissioners office. There is a general information page which you fill out, all 30 teams have access to it, that way you don’t have to fill one out for each team. The link also identifies each player with a draft ID number for each club, you cannot be drafted without an ID number. Each team can then, through the link, send the player their own questions. Some may have 10 questions, some may have 50. The link emails you regularly when another team has sent you information. Once again, this is run by the commissioners office and most people don’t know about it because it is new for 2019 and most players are not prospects.

if you receive this link, fill it out, their are deadlines for some of these forms. Players that attended the major events this summer like east coast pro and Area code games and were identified by at least one team as a prospect received the link early. 

My son has completed the eye exam and was recently asked for all of his Orthopedic records\x-ray\MRI's.  I'm not reading too far into that though as he had TJS a couple of years ago. 

in the questionnaire my son said several times his dream was to play professional baseball.  At the end of fall workouts, he had a meeting with a teams JUCO Crosschecker and he asked him if his dream was to play Pro Baseball or Play for the School he has signed with.   He told the guy it was to play pro ball.

The reason the teams want the medical and vision information early is so each club can have their own team doctors review the information. Each team has different opinions on injuries etc... for example a young player who had tommy John may give one team caution and another club not as much concern. Getting the information early saves the club time and money. If a certain team fails the players medical, then there is no reason to spend the time and money to go see him. If they pass the medical then they have the green light to continue evaluating the player. 

Get any information requested to the teams as quick as possible, I can tell you from experience that a scout is not going to be as aggressive or fight for a player if they are unsure on their medical, signability, or character. The more information the scout and the team they work for has, the higher the comfort level will be when they start talking about the player and potentially drafting him.

mlb97 posted:

Just trying to help clarify some comments on here. This is the first year of the MLB draft prospect link, so any comments that say they used it in the past are incorrect. The link was set up by all 30 clubs and the commissioners office. There is a general information page which you fill out, all 30 teams have access to it, that way you don’t have to fill one out for each team. The link also identifies each player with a draft ID number for each club, you cannot be drafted without an ID number. Each team can then, through the link, send the player their own questions. Some may have 10 questions, some may have 50. The link emails you regularly when another team has sent you information. Once again, this is run by the commissioners office and most people don’t know about it because it is new for 2019 and most players are not prospects.

if you receive this link, fill it out, their are deadlines for some of these forms. Players that attended the major events this summer like east coast pro and Area code games and were identified by at least one team as a prospect received the link early. 

Can it be said that MLB is being more selective than in the past with the new prospectlink?  Meaning, I have looked into prior draft trackers and there is obviously a list of names of prospects that went undrafted. Will the list in 2019 of those undrafted be much shorter than previous years with the use of the prospect link and a required draft number? 

The only problem there has risen for us is sometimes there is not an appropriate answer and it appears that you did not answer the question.  There have been a few where they asked about injuries and gave us 20ish possible answers.  My son has never been injured in any form so there was no answer but there was not a spot for no injuries.  When we were finished it said 83% complete.  It just seemed weird that it was like they assumed every player had been injured and there was no place for No Injuries.  I know it is a learning experience for the teams also but it has to be better than previous.  With my middle son who was in college when responding, it was all hard paper.  It is now all online which is a lot easier. 

Just remember they are "excluding" you as much or more than "including" you....  It's fun... but it's paperwork....  when a DofS  National CC or GM shows up then you know you are on the "perf" list and might be offered the money needed to forego college.   

If you are not a top 100 player out of high school  and you want a chance to play AA, AAA, MLB  ball.... go to college first..... the numbers support it.   

Too many HS kids take 400k to 800k  never make it past high A ... no money left... no college degree.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.