Skip to main content

My son is a sophomore in college, and he received an email with a link to fill out a rather lengthy questionnaire. They were a lot medical and family history questions. I was just wanted to know if this was something that all 2020 first year draft eligible players get. Now they want eye exam information. I just want to know if this is a legitimate MLB link, or if it was just a group trying to get personal information from my son.

Has anyone seen and email like this?  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is legitimate and time consuming.  The eye exam came out a few weeks ago.  It allows all the teams to get some info and then if they want more info they will ask.  Allows your player to answer questions on his time and get general questions answered.  Just remind him to answer everything honestly and as accurately as possible.  They will ask the same thing in multiple ways through various forms of contact.  It is not bad to keep a small data base of the specific questions and how he answered them for future use and to keep from having to figure it up again.

My son also received the request from the Chicago Cubs and MLB. He is a sophomore in JUCO. His advisor too said it was legit. We had to complete his physical and then submit it separately from the prospect link and they sent us a email that ended in mlb.com so I agree with the poster above that it is legit. 

Everybody is kinda leary of phishing schemes and I guess until the word gets out in amateur baseball that this is how MLB does it, I guess there will be some skepticism. 

The video is awesome that is on the prospect link. Very exciting. 

@Julio posted:

If you get this email, does it mean the team has a legit interest in the player as a Draft Prospect? 

It means there is a scout that requested info.  Does it mean they are really serious? I wouldn't say that.  Some might be serious and home visits show a little more interest. There is a part that is shared with everyone and then individual teams can add additional questionnaires. 

@baseballhs posted:

It means there is a scout that requested info.  Does it mean they are really serious? I wouldn't say that.  Some might be serious and home visits show a little more interest. There is a part that is shared with everyone and then individual teams can add additional questionnaires. 

I concur. However, don't underestimate this invite; your son will not be draft eligible without it. It is this system which assigns your draft ID; you cannot be drafted without it. So make sure to respond and fill out the general MLB questionnaire and medical forms.

My son filled out many questionnaires from the teams but they were general in nature with nothing too specific.  When teams were interested further he filled out lengthier ones that were more specific.  I do not recall the exact projected rounds (1st for sure) but from what I recall MLB will request doctor evaluations, exams, test results, x-rays, past injuries, etc. to a central division where any of the teams can have access to.  We could not submit to a specific team health related material  that they requested directly, it has to be submitted to that to that central access place.  A few teams conducted their own personal physical evaluation, not sure if they were required to submit it or kept it for themselves.  FWIW, aside from advisors/agents he had no "home" visits from scouts.  He did meet a several through his college coaches or advisor but that never included us.  The team that eventually drafted him had no contact with him, his consultant, or even arranging a private workout, thus was completely by surprise.  It is an exciting time though to start going through the process.  Enjoy what many others may not get a chance. 

@TPM at the PGAA they had an MLB representative come and talk to the parents. Over the past several years, they pulled all the most relevant questions together into one online survey. It is shared among teams and it is supposed to limit all of the individual team questionnaires. They said that you may get a stray question here or there but if a team asks you to fill out a long supplemental questionnaire or asks a lot of questions that were already included in the original questionnaire you should direct the team to the online questionnaire or let the MLB know. I know that's easier said that done but that's is what they told us. 

@PTWood. We just went through this and each team does still send supplemental questionnaires. So be prepared.  Some are 5-6 questions, some were 120+.  We were in season when some of these came through and he didn't finish all of them by the deadlines.  Not sure if that mattered or not.  The main thing to get in is the main questionnaire and all the medical and vision.  If teams really needed something we hadn't submitted, they would text.  It also took awhile to get some of the medical records, so if you son has ever had a broken bone, PT, seen an orthopedic, ask for the records, X-rays,physician notes, etc now.  It will make it much easier when they give you a 30 day deadline.

I will encourage anyone who is (realistically, I know that is every t-ball parent) thinking their kid may get drafted should keep a medical file especially from middle school on through college so they it can be easily accessed.  We moved and some of that was hard to come by not being in town anymore.  He had taken a fall in 10th grade playing basketball and they knew and wanted information.  Just a good file to have while going through life not doing it later. 

@baseballhs posted:

@PTWood. We just went through this and each team does still send supplemental questionnaires. So be prepared. 

Very true. While there is a basic questionnaire, son received individual team additional questions. One team had extensive questions on past injuries. Another had questions regarding leadership (what would you do in certain situations). I believe another related specifically to hitting. An eye test was part of the basic which was shared by all teams.

@Julio posted:

With high School players if you get drafted and the pay for your school upfront,  are they allowed to go to College during the off-season?

Technically, yes, you can go to school in the offseason.

However, there are "fall instructs" at the spring training facility in the fall.  Spring training starts in February and then games until into September.  So, there is no real good time to go to school in the off season, unless you start late in September (most colleges start in August, so you could be several weeks behind).  Online classes could be an option now.  A serious injury that takes you away from baseball for an extended time may allow you to take classes.

But, as we know it, the MLB's scholarship program is a 'tuition reimbursement program'.  YOU pay for college classes, room, and board upfront, and then submit your grades and expenses to get reimbursed.  AND, the reimbursement is taxed (ie:  you don't get your full amount refunded).  

I understand that now in the contracts, it allows for x semesters, rather than just a total dollar amount.  So if you are drafted as a junior, you would have 2 semesters.  You would need to think twice about taking just 1-2 classes rather than a full semester.

Most players don't utilize the program, but glad to say KEEWARTSON GOT HIS DIPLOMA LAST WEEK!!!  Online classes during Covid helped! 

Last edited by keewart
@2022NYC posted:

Congrats! What was his major? 

When people would ask what he is majoring in, I would say "I don't care!"  He can figure it out what he wants to do and study to get a degree.  I just wanted him to stay eligible in school and with the NCAA.   Many on his team were brilliant:  some are now working in NYC and investment banking in DC and in the neuro-sciences.  He started out wanting to be a dentist, but the labs freshman year were going to kill him so he quickly changed majors.  His diploma is in Latin:  but he got a BA in Kinesiology with a minor in accounting, from The College of William and Mary.

Keewart, thanks for the reply. It is a little scary to think of a kid with good grades and a good student gets drafted out of high school, and if cut in the MILB system a few years later would have to then start college from scratch and find that studying habit and consistency after being out of school X amount of years.

@keewart posted:

When people would ask what he is majoring in, I would say "I don't care!"  He can figure it out what he wants to do and study to get a degree.  I just wanted him to stay eligible in school and with the NCAA.   Many on his team were brilliant:  some are now working in NYC and investment banking in DC and in the neuro-sciences.  He started out wanting to be a dentist, but the labs freshman year were going to kill him so he quickly changed majors.  His diploma is in Latin:  but he got a BA in Kinesiology with a minor in accounting, from The College of William and Mary.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Last edited by 2022NYC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.