Skip to main content

From WFAA Dallas, as reported by Assoc. Press:

MLB may open season in Arizona

There are 10 spring training ball parks and a Major League stadium within 50 miles of each other.

MLB may open season in Arizona

People familiar with the discussion tell The Associated Press that putting all 30 teams in the Phoenix area this season and playing in empty ballparks was among the ideas discussed by Major League Baseball and the players’ association.

The sides held a telephone call to talk about paths forward for a season delayed by the new coronavirus pandemic. Ideas are still in the early stage. Arizona’s advantage is 10 spring training ballparks plus the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Chase Field all within about 50 miles.

Scott Boras, baseball’s most prominent agent, said it might be the quickest method to start play.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To start a season every player, coach, and team personal who travel to a Phoenix has to be tested. Every umpire, scorekeeper, grounds crew, media people and others have to be tested. MLB players come from twenty different countries with various degrees of COVID issues. 

Then after all this if one player tests positive that team, the team they were playing and everyone associated with those two teams have to be quarantined. It’s not the same as as individual (one of us) going back to work.,

Major League Baseball issued a statement Tuesday acknowledging it has discussed the entire league descending on one location to restart the season with coronavirus-caused restrictions on the public still in place.

But the message also emphasized that no plan, including a discussed option of moving every team to Arizona, has been decided upon.

RJM posted:

To start a season every player, coach, and team personal who travel to a Phoenix has to be tested. Every umpire, scorekeeper, grounds crew, media people and others have to be tested. MLB players come from twenty different countries with various degrees of COVID issues. 

Then after all this if one player tests positive that team, the team they were playing and everyone associated with those two teams have to be quarantined. It’s not the same as as individual (one of us) going back to work.,

It is certainly going to be a tough task to get them even practicing in May. If they had a way to quarantine them all now for 14 days, test them all (which would really make a lot of people mad that MLB has access to tests), and then figure out a way to keep a bunch of baseball players from sneaking out (or sneaking people in) of their hotel/facility, then I can see them getting it done. 

but it is a dry heat...LOL at least if would be baseball!

Ratings would be huge, I never realized how much I love watching sports, seriously I don't think I have gone a day without them in since the advent of ESPN somewhere in the 80's (once my dad finally bucked up for cable) I am watching the classic reruns (Nova beating Georgetown in 85 still tops my list) Esports version of Nascar, if I watch one more episode of luv it or list it my head is going to explode!! I actually broke down and bought HBO something I swore I would never do just because they have amazing series I can binge watch...I am playing a ridiculous amount of online poker and my damn dog gets a walk everyday! 

Arizona baseball would be a godsend!! 

I would be all for MLB in AZ if it could be done in a reasonably safe manner.  I am not sure if that is realistically possible, but selfishly I think it would be cool to see the games in AZ and it would be a good spirit lift for the country.  I suspect the player's union should and will have a big say in this.  But it is not just the player's safety - they have contact with their families and others.  I don't know if they could be monitored daily, tested 2x wk., other?  I have no idea but selfishly would like to see some "live" baseball!! 

old_school posted:

but it is a dry heat...LOL at least if would be baseball!

Ratings would be huge, I never realized how much I love watching sports, seriously I don't think I have gone a day without them in since the advent of ESPN somewhere in the 80's (once my dad finally bucked up for cable) I am watching the classic reruns (Nova beating Georgetown in 85 still tops my list) Esports version of Nascar, if I watch one more episode of luv it or list it my head is going to explode!! I actually broke down and bought HBO something I swore I would never do just because they have amazing series I can binge watch...I am playing a ridiculous amount of online poker and my damn dog gets a walk everyday! 

Arizona baseball would be a godsend!! 

Netflix brotha......

Breaking Bad

Ozark

El Chapo

Narcos

I am in the same boat regarding sports and the above listed have kept me somewhat entertained. But then again....violence and drug lords have a way of doing that for me 

I expect a partial lifting of restrictions this summer, as they have started to do in other countries.  However, I doubt they'll allow big stadiums to be filled up.  I like that they are thinking creatively, which may be necessary for it to work out.   I think for most of the businesses that are now shuttered to survive in the partial lifting, they will need to come up with creative solutions.

You know life has slowed down when as a guy the most exciting thing that’s occurred in the past few weeks is a package arriving from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I’m stuck 1600 miles from my GF. My social life is going to the grocery store. I walk there every second or third day.

Last edited by RJM

I read the full article from the AP.  As it was written, there would be no fans in the stands.  

So, we could all watch our favorite team(s) from the luxury of our own comfy chair, near our own private bathroom complete with TP, and our favorite concessions as close as our kitchen.   It is better than nothing I guess.  

I asked my son his thoughts about all the teams playing in AZ (he is in AA ball).  He said ANYTHING to get back to live baseball.

So the big boys would get paid.  What was not mentioned in the article is what do they do with the minor league guys?  Somebody has to be ready to step up in case of injury/other.  Increased rosters was mentioned.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.