Skip to main content

I’m hoping someone has some insight out of curiosity.  I’ve read this forum for hours and have learned a lot but not a great answer to this questions.

Is the number of questionnaires indicative of a top prospect or does it simply mean they are a prospect that is being followed like anyone else that gets a questionnaire.

In ther words if my draft eligible college player has received questionnaires from 27 of the 30 teams since high school, is that normal for any draft eligible college player at a top program?  Can any conclusions be drawn from that or maybe every kid in a top program gets that many?  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Gregory H. the questionnaires are a good first step and definitely indicate interest (like a vetting step). Teams have also been engaged in individual interviews for the past several months. Those interviews, particularly if attended by more than an Area Scout and/or a Regional Crosschecker, are a better indicator of strong interest. In previous years the interviews were in person but this year they have been over Zoom/conference call.

Does your son have an advisor?  Might be a good time to get one as a 2021 going into Spring, if he is a draft prospect.  They can get a better idea of who is serious and also give you an idea if what your son wants, money wise, is in line for this draft or if he will be a tough sign.  I think this year more than any, it is an advantage to have someone who makes/receives calls and can cut through some of the uncertainty.

I was moving my daughters car, which used to be my son's ride and when I looked in the glovebox for a ticket for daughter to pay, i found a Reds questionnaire. It was still in its original envelope, incomplete and unadulterated. I guess things worked out. If your son is getting questionnaires from almost all the teams in the league, that is a good sign. My son got about 10-12 and did not get drafted out of HS,  at least did not get drafted for what he wanted $$. I'm not sure he would've at all. Good luck.

@Gregory H. posted:

In ther words if my draft eligible college player has received questionnaires from 27 of the 30 teams since high school, is that normal for any draft eligible college player at a top program?  Can any conclusions be drawn from that or maybe every kid in a top program gets that many? 

Don't be concerned about what teams had sent questionnaires in HS.

Make sure that your son does complete each one for the 2021 draft.

@Gregory H. posted:

I’m hoping someone has some insight out of curiosity.  I’ve read this forum for hours and have learned a lot but not a great answer to this questions.

Is the number of questionnaires indicative of a top prospect or does it simply mean they are a prospect that is being followed like anyone else that gets a questionnaire.

"MLB developed the MLB Draft Prospect Link (“Prospect Link”) to be a centralized platform that streamlines the biographical and medical information collection process and allows MLB and MLB Clubs to communicate directly with amateur players and their families.  The Prospect Link also contains resources for players and their families on the draft process."

You won't receive a questionnaire without first receiving an invite to the MLB Draft Prospect Link by at least one team. I say "at least one team" because you can receive a questionnaire from a team that did not send you an invite link--as long as you already accepted an invite from another team.

I would most definitely fill these out because if not, what is the point? If you don't you are showing a lack of interest in professional baseball.

These aren't just for HS and college players eligible for the 2021 draft. They are also sent to college players not eligible for the 2021 draft. As stated in the quote above, this is how teams communicate (initially) with players. For college players not eligible for the 2021 draft it appears they want to know how players are developing in their respective college programs and also where they are playing their summer ball.

One thing for sure, you will NOT be draft eligible for 2021 without registering on the Prospect Link website. Take a look at the 2020 MLB Draft Tracker. All the players listed on the tracker (drafted and undrafted) were registered on the 2020 Prospect Link.

So yes, to answer the OP, receiving a questionnaire from a team IS receiving interest from that particular team. They don't send questionnaires to every HS or college player.

One other item to note (from what I've observed): they "clean the slate" every year and new questionnaires (including the primary MLB questionnaire) are sent out again. They do keep electronic copies of previous medical files uploaded even though they ask the same medical questions (and ask for uploads) all over again!

The questionnaires my son received this year thus far are very different--presumably because he won't be draft eligible again until 2023. They are still quite detailed and I have tried to convince my son to take his time and answer them to the best of his ability.

Otherwise what's the point???!!!

Great feedback! My son was put in the prospectlink site as a senior in hs.

All questionnaires have always been sent they this site so far. He got maybe 17-18 teams as a senior in 2019.  None as a freshman. Now that he’s draft eligible this year in college he’s received another 16-18 team questionnaires.

Hope it all works out.  Good to know not every college player that’s eligible gets them.  He was worried maybe that’s just the norm

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.