Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@TPM posted:

I am sad, but more angry than anything else. This doesn't have to be like this.

If this doesn't make people angry, there must be something wrong.

I haven't been on in a while; statements like this are the reason why.

Anger in this case is valid because it is simply a manifestation of frustration. The same can be said when you have a loved one who succumbs to cancer. It doesn't mean well-intentioned people aren't working on preventions or cures.

This disease will likely be here (variants) from now on--all over the world. That's why it's a pandemic. Just like H1N1. Or the common cold. Who will you blame then?

@TPM posted:

I am sad, but more angry than anything else. This doesn't have to be like this.

If this doesn't make people angry, there must be something wrong.

I'm not sure you can say this can be avoided. Sure the us government has not been super great in handling that stuff and I'm glad I'm living in a country that handled it way better but even in the "best" countries many people died, there is just no 100% protection against a pandemic.

A highly contagious respiratory virus is always out there, looking for a host.  Government interventions just kick the can down the road.  The interventions just change the date on the inevitable infections.

In mid-March on this forum I predicted that a mouse was going to scare an elephant into jumping off a cliff.  Some think it's the Pandemic of 2020.  I think it's the Panic of 2020.

In the six months since March, knowledge of the virus, treatments, how to avoid it, who is at risk, have all dramatically improved.  Knowledge gets better from month to month.  Back in March, on this forum, I predicted that the longer we can keep people from getting infected, the better their chances would be.  That has been completely borne out.  I would much rather get it in December, than back in April.

In the six months since March, knowledge of the virus, treatments, how to avoid it, who is at risk, have all dramatically improved.  Knowledge gets better from month to month.  Back in March, on this forum, I predicted that the longer we can keep people from getting infected, the better their chances would be.  That has been completely borne out.  I would much rather get it in December, than back in April.

Please explain Sweden.

In March, they were the elephant that refused to allow a mouse scare them into jumping off a cliff. 

Today, they're the 600 pound elephant sitting in the corner of the room.

They just announced that nursing home visits resume on Oct. 1.

Meanwhile the rest of the world struggles with lockdowns and "second waves."

TBH, I'd rather be discussing, "Who was the greatest Swedish MLB player of all time?"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.