Skip to main content

Rosenthal says agreement reached. Draft will be 5 rounds. Other comments on social media from baseball guys are saying all undrafted players will be able to sign as a FA for max 20k. An 80% cut. 

I see it as a business decision. No revenue coming in - small draft, money goes towards players salaries. MLB gets what they want and can start eliminating lower Milb levels earlier than they wanted. 

Massive problem for college baseball, especially if seniors are granted another year. Bottom line - players won't be leaving. High schoolers will be coming in. 

I would expect IMG to get a lot of applications in the coming days and I would expect Jucos to get a lot of P5 decommits. 

Yikes

Last edited by PABaseball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

The NCAA decision will simply be on granting additional eligibility. Their decision should be independent of what the MLB has decided to do.

I am sure the baseball analytics have determined the law of diminishing return on the draft investment and that falls at the 5th round. I think more players will reclassify than expected out of high school.

If a players already has 4 years of participating in a High School sport, can they get a 5th year.  

Does it make sense to go to a prep school or IMG Academy like vs attending a JUCO?

PABaseball posted:

Rosenthal says agreement reached. Draft will be 5 rounds. Other comments on social media from baseball guys are saying all undrafted players will be able to sign as a FA for max 20k. An 80% cut. 

I see it as a business decision. No revenue coming in - small draft, money goes towards players salaries. MLB gets what they want and can start eliminating lower Milb levels earlier than they wanted. 

Massive problem for college baseball, especially if seniors are granted another year. Bottom line - players won't be leaving. High schoolers will be coming in. 

I would expect IMG to get a lot of applications in the coming days and I would expect Jucos to get a lot of P5 decommits. 

Yikes

College baseball doesn't really have a problem, they either cut a few more guys or just sit a few more on the bench and play the best guys. Having more options doesn't hurt the headcoaches, who are hurt are the players.

Dominik85 posted:
PABaseball posted:

Yikes

College baseball doesn't really have a problem, they either cut a few more guys or just sit a few more on the bench and play the best guys. Having more options doesn't hurt the headcoaches, who are hurt are the players.

The players are always the ones that get hurt. College baseball is going to have a lot of rosters with too many players. Which will result in a lot of unhappy players. If you don’t think that’s going to be a problem you have never coached

adbono posted:
Dominik85 posted:
PABaseball posted:

Yikes

The players are always the ones that get hurt. College baseball is going to have a lot of rosters with too many players. Which will result in a lot of unhappy players. If you don’t think that’s going to be a problem you have never coached

I've been thinking along these lines too.  There's a lot of people that believe that expanding rosters somehow makes this better.  With the traditional 35 roster spots, there are already somewhere between 6-8 (some would say more) players on most teams who are already unhappy with their limited roles.  Expanding rosters, with or without additional scholarship money, just means another 4 or 5 guys on the team that are unhappy.  Either way, the same core players are going to get the most innings, it's just means more guys on the bench.

CollegebaseballInsights posted:

It would be interesting if the NCAA-D1 P5 schools created a JV circuit, similar to High School.

Commencing with P5 JV Championship

Game schedule (Conference Games and 1 or 2 trips). they can travel with the varsity team.

Note, I understand the issues would be:

Fielding a Roster Size. (especially pitching)

Operating Expenses 

Coaches

Fields - ?

etc.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that D1 players (especially at top 50 programs) have zero interest in playing a JV circuit 

adbono posted:

It would be interesting if the NCAA-D1 P5 schools created a JV circuit, similar to High School.

Game schedule (Conference Games and 1 or 2 trips). they can travel with the varsity team.

Operating Expenses 

Coaches

Fields - ?

etc.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that D1 players (especially at top 50 programs) have zero interest in playing a JV circuit 

Understood. 

Then it will be simple:

- stay try to earn a spot (most likely get minimal reps). and/or get redshirted.

Transfer to:

- another 4 year school (non p5) or lower division

- JUCO Program

adbono posted:

Operating Expenses 

Coaches

Fields - ?

etc.

Understood. 

Then it will be simple:

- stay try to earn a spot (most likely get minimal reps). and/or get redshirted.

Transfer to:

- JUCO Program

Many (including me) think that there will be an unprecedented amount of transfers. Which is a tricky proposition as you really don’t know what you are getting into until you are already there. 

adbono posted:
adbono posted:

Operating Expenses 

Coaches

Fields - ?

etc.

Understood. 

Then it will be simple:

Transfer to:

- JUCO Program

Many (including me) think that there will be an unprecedented amount of transfers. Which is a tricky proposition as you really don’t know what you are getting into until you are already there. 

I would agree.  The issue will be where do you transfer?

Game of musically chair.

Who will have openings?

NLI's already in place.

adbono posted:
Dominik85 posted:
PABaseball posted:

Yikes

Do the teams need to bring all seniors back or is there just the option of bringing them back? I think either way this won't be that much of an issue. Many seniors without a scholarship won't be able to afford a 5th year and coaches will probably make some of the weaker seniors quit by telling them basically there will be almost no playing time for them. Now some might still come back even if it is only 5 at Bats all year but many will probably quit if they are told they are not needed. I think coaches will find a way to use this situation to create the best roster possible.

It will definitely create some unhappy players but I think coaches will be able to resolve that.

I would not be surprised if last year was the last 40 round draft we have seen and in the future it only will be 15-20 rounds.from a player dev perspective it probably makes sense as scouting and development got more effective and needs less quantity now but it will suck for the communities who lose minor league ball. Short term this saves money but for long term fan generation that isn't great especially since mlb is hardly affordable for many families.

adbono posted:
Dominik85 posted:
PABaseball posted:

Yikes

What size roster are there players not playing who aren’t unhappy? 

Operating Expenses 

Coaches

Fields - ?

etc.

Colleges are already screwed financially outside baseball. Where would the money come from for a JV team? Harvard has a 41 billion dollar endowment and won’t even pay hourly workers. 

9and7dad posted:
adbono posted:
Dominik85 posted:
PABaseball posted:

Yikes

I've been thinking along these lines too.  There's a lot of people that believe that expanding rosters somehow makes this better.  With the traditional 35 roster spots, there are already somewhere between 6-8 (some would say more) players on most teams who are already unhappy with their limited roles.  Expanding rosters, with or without additional scholarship money, just means another 4 or 5 guys on the team that are unhappy.  Either way, the same core players are going to get the most innings, it's just means more guys on the bench.

More pissed off players on the bench who get more pissed off when they don’t travel.

Dominik85 posted:

I would not be surprised if last year was the last 40 round draft we have seen and in the future it only will be 15-20 rounds.from a player dev perspective it probably makes sense as scouting and development got more effective and needs less quantity now but it will suck for the communities who lose minor league ball. Short term this saves money but for long term fan generation that isn't great especially since mlb is hardly affordable for many families.

There’s no reason for the draft to be more than twenty rounds. 94% of American MLBers come from the top twenty rounds. 

I don’t think you are seeing the big picture. Not only do seniors have the option of coming back but with MLB draft reduced to what appears to be 5 rounds many juniors that would have been drafted in a normal year won’t be. Most wont want to sign as a FA for a fraction of what they expected so many of them will be back too.  I’m going to use a specific D1 school as an example.  They have 10 seniors and expected 2 or 3 of them to be drafted. With only 5 rounds maybe none of them get drafted. They also expected one Jr to be drafted. That’s also not likely. They signed 6 HS seniors and are bringing in 5 Juco transfers. They already had 3 redshirts. In the fall they could have 49 guys competing for 35 roster spots. It will take years to clean up that mess and this situation could be typical not isolated. And you think this will be easy for coaches to resolve? Couldn’t disagree more. Has the potential to be a fiasco. 

RJM posted:
Dominik85 posted:

There’s no reason for the draft to be more than twenty rounds. 94% of American MLBers come from the top twenty rounds. 

The reason for rounds 20-40 is to develop the 1-20 rounds and occasionally find a diamond in the rough.  Round 20-40 don’t cost that much in the scheme of things, but 5 rounds???  Ugh. The mess this creates is huge.

Last edited by baseballhs
adbono posted:

I don’t think you are seeing the big picture. Not only do seniors have the option of coming back but with MLB draft reduced to what appears to be 5 rounds many juniors that would have been drafted in a normal year won’t be. Most wont want to sign as a FA for a fraction of what they expected so many of them will be back too.  I’m going to use a specific D1 school as an example.  They have 10 seniors and expected 2 or 3 of them to be drafted. With only 5 rounds maybe none of them get drafted. They also expected one Jr to be drafted. That’s also not likely. They signed 6 HS seniors and are bringing in 5 Juco transfers. They already had 3 redshirts. In the fall they could have 49 guys competing for 35 roster spots. It will take years to clean up that mess and this situation could be typical not isolated. And you think this will be easy for coaches to resolve? Couldn’t disagree more. Has the potential to be a fiasco. 

You can go ahead and say it...it doesn't just have the potential to be a fiasco....It will be a fiasco...mid-major SRs who have graduated and may have been drafted transferring to P5 schools..P5 SRs who were part-time players looking for that last grasp at mid-major schools...JRs who would have signed coming back..programs who oversigned (most of them) kicking talented freshmen to jucos...NLIs just a piece of paper..D2s with there own eligibility changes in play looking for drop downs...everyone waiting until late July to commit to anything but the best players because they all think they will get their share of the "dudes" the chaos creates..."Dogs and Cats living together, mass hysteria"   - Peter Venkman -

LaunchAngle posted:
adbono posted:

You can go ahead and say it...it doesn't just have the potential to be a fiasco....It will be a fiasco...mid-major SRs who have graduated and may have been drafted transferring to P5 schools..P5 SRs who were part-time players looking for that last grasp at mid-major schools...JRs who would have signed coming back..programs who oversigned (most of them) kicking talented freshmen to jucos...NLIs just a piece of paper..D2s with there own eligibility changes in play looking for drop downs...everyone waiting until late July to commit to anything but the best players because they all think they will get their share of the "dudes" the chaos creates..."Dogs and Cats living together, mass hysteria"   - Peter Venkman -

That’s right, I said it! Somebody had to say it!! It had to be said!!! 

baseballhs posted:
RJM posted:
Dominik85 posted:

The reason for rounds 20-40 is to develop the 1-20 rounds and occasionally find a diamond in the rough.  Round 20-40 don’t cost that much in the scheme of things, but 5 rounds???  Ugh. The mess this creates is huge.

The diamonds in the rough (after 20th round) are typically late blooming pitchers.

Last edited by RJM

Question:  So would the D1 council actually be doing a prudent thing by not giving anyone the year back?  It would still screw the kids that didnt get to compete a full year, but perhaps alleviates some of the "cluster" for the next 4 to 5 years.  It would allow most schools to function close to normal other than the juniors maybe not being drafted as originally projected.  Of course the JUCO kids that were going to be drafted now may end up going to the D1 school they signed with which impacts could be big.  It appears one of the biggest contributing factor is actually MLB only doing 5 (or even 10) rounds that will have major impact on the college game , maybe even more so that whatever the D1 council decides.  Unfortunately, someone is going to get screwed from spring sport cancellations.  The only question is how many and how long will this effect last?

I don't see how they can keep most from getting a year back.  Many pitchers, especially, did not play more than 30% of their season and one of the provisions is natural disaster or calamity to get a hardship redshirt.  This is definitely either a natural disaster or calamity.  But at least half of the players on SEC teams rosters I looked at did not play more than 30%. 

With 5 years of talent shoved into a 4 year funnel the good that can come in this is that the level of play has a chance to increase across all college levels if all adjustments are handled as well as they can be given the short decision window for players and coaches.   There will be more talent at the P5 level than ever, more talent available for mid-majors if NLI releases are given with integrity of purpose, more young talent headed to jucos, and more D1 level talent available for D2s and NAIA to snag where they choose. I hope for everyone who has a player somewhere along this process that your outcome is the best it can possibly be...

RoadRunner posted:

https://www.baseballamerica.co...rts-incoming-talent/
Very difficult to be a college Jr right now. 

Not really, at least not for most. Maybe for those that would sign a contract if they were drafted in rounds 15 -40, and why would you do that based on low signing bonus money for those rounds. Much worse for college seniors, high school seniors and Juco transfers. Elite college juniors are going to get drafted. Granted their odds are better if it’s s 10 round draft instead of 5. 

adbono posted:
RoadRunner posted:

Not really, at least not for most. Maybe for those that would sign a contract if they were drafted in rounds 15 -40, and why would you do that based on low signing bonus money for those rounds. Much worse for college seniors, high school seniors and Juco transfers. Elite college juniors are going to get drafted. Granted their odds are better if it’s s 10 round draft instead of 5. 

Did you read the article?

Also, do you think 5 rounds is enough to draft all the Jr that should be drafted?  I disagree mostly with your “at least not for most” comment. 

Last edited by RoadRunner
RoadRunner posted:
adbono posted:
RoadRunner posted:

Did you read the article?

Also, do you think 5 rounds is enough to draft all the Jr that should be drafted?  I disagree mostly with your “at least not for most” comment. 

I think the reason why they would not go to 10 is because they really have no place to put them unless they expanded their rosters. Without spring training, where do you draw the line in deciding who would remain and who would go on to play on a team.

They essentially would have the same issue as does D1 baseball.

JMO

Yes I read it.  And what I said is correct. MOST college juniors weren’t going to be drafted even in a 40 round draft. So MOST of them aren’t affected too badly. On the other hand MOST incoming freshmen & MOST Juco transfers ARE negatively impacted. And for college seniors it could be good or bad but it will affect MOST of them too. 

adbono posted:

Yes I read it.  And what I said is correct. MOST college juniors weren’t going to be drafted even in a 40 round draft. So MOST of them aren’t affected too badly. On the other hand MOST incoming freshmen & MOST Juco transfers ARE negatively impacted. And for college seniors it could be good or bad but it will affect MOST of them too. 

So I have never really broken down the year in school of players drafted. Are you saying that the normal 40 round draft is NOT mostly comprised of college Jrs?

“The NCAA is yet to decide whether to extend an extra year of eligibility for all Division I spring-sport athletes, just seniors or none at all. If the NCAA decides to extend eligibility for no D-I spring sport athletes or only seniors, it would leave undrafted juniors with a pair of poor choices. In a normal year, a college junior picked between the sixth and 15th rounds could expect to normally sign for between $125,000 and $250,000. In 2020, if they go undrafted, they can either sign for a maximum of $20,000 or return to school, knowing their negotiating leverage will be limited the following year as a senior sign. Depending on the NCAA’s decision on eligibility, they would also have to risk returning and competing for bonuses next year with a much larger pool of senior players on top of competing for playing time with an extremely talented incoming freshman class.”

This is what I’m talking about, when I say difficult. Direct quote from the article https://www.baseballamerica.co...rts-incoming-talent/ in case some do not want to read the entire thing. 

RoadRunner posted:

“The NCAA is yet to decide whether to extend an extra year of eligibility for all Division I spring-sport athletes, just seniors or none at all. If the NCAA decides to extend eligibility for no D-I spring sport athletes or only seniors, it would leave undrafted juniors with a pair of poor choices. In a normal year, a college junior picked between the sixth and 15th rounds could expect to normally sign for between $125,000 and $250,000. In 2020, if they go undrafted, they can either sign for a maximum of $20,000 or return to school, knowing their negotiating leverage will be limited the following year as a senior sign. Depending on the NCAA’s decision on eligibility, they would also have to risk returning and competing for bonuses next year with a much larger pool of senior players on top of competing for playing time with an extremely talented incoming freshman class.”

This is what I’m talking about, when I say difficult. Direct quote from the article https://www.baseballamerica.co...rts-incoming-talent/ in case some do not want to read the entire thing. 

I’m going to make this simple since you don’t seem to grasp the concept. To make it simple I’m going to round off the math. There were 1200 players taken in the 2019 mlb draft. 300 were HS kids, 100 JuCo,  & approx 100 international players.  That leaves a balance of 700 college players. Some of those were seniors and some were draft eligible sophomores. Say that total is another 100. It’s actually probably higher. That would leave a total of 600 college juniors that were selected.  There are 301 baseball teams in D1 alone. Assume 10 juniors on each team. That’s a total of 3000 college juniors in D1 alone. If 600 out of 3000 get drafted that is 20%.  So 20% (or less) of college juniors stand to be negatively impacted by what’s happening. I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is damn near 100% of incoming college freshmen will be negatively impacted, over 50% of JuCo transfers will be negatively impacted, and a lot seniors will be impacted one way or the other. 100%, 50%, and “a lot” are all greater than 20%. That’s what I’m saying. Besides that, as I said earlier, the elite juniors are still going to be drafted so the 20% would be reduced by that amount. 

adbono posted:

You're right, most college juniors would not have been drafted. But there are a lot who would have been drafted and signed and that is no longer the case. 

For now it is the P5 programs and the quality mid majors that are going to have the biggest problems. For these schools, they need juniors, draft eligible sophs, and high schoolers to get drafted in order to make that 11.7 work. When those round 5+ guys don't sign (as they shouldn't) it creates the backlog. 

NLIs were offered on the basis that the MLB draft would happen as planned and players would leave. After these meetings take place the conversation is going to be - forget the eligibility, how am I going to get 15.4 down to 11.7? 

I know at our school (P5) there were 4-6 guys who were expecting to get drafted and sign. Only one of them is likely to leave now. With at least 10 more coming in, that is going to be a problem. 

The MLB/MLBPA basically gave the finger to the NCAA and told them to figure it out. The figuring out is where the craziness starts and it will be crazy. 

PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

You're right, most college juniors would not have been drafted. But there are a lot who would have been drafted and signed and that is no longer the case. 

For now it is the P5 programs and the quality mid majors that are going to have the biggest problems. For these schools, they need juniors, draft eligible sophs, and high schoolers to get drafted in order to make that 11.7 work. When those round 5+ guys don't sign (as they shouldn't) it creates the backlog. 

NLIs were offered on the basis that the MLB draft would happen as planned and players would leave. After these meetings take place the conversation is going to be - forget the eligibility, how am I going to get 15.4 down to 11.7? 

I know at our school (P5) there were 4-6 guys who were expecting to get drafted and sign. Only one of them is likely to leave now. With at least 10 more coming in, that is going to be a problem. 

The MLB/MLBPA basically gave the finger to the NCAA and told them to figure it out. The figuring out is where the craziness starts and it will be crazy. 

I agree with everything you said. See my previous posts 

adbono posted:

There are plenty of programs who already have larger fall player participation than you have in your example, Fish-n-sail remarked his sons D1 program had well over 50 I recall. This was before this situation. Sounds like business as usual.

If 600 out of 3000 get drafted that is 20%.  So 20% (or less) of college juniors stand to be negatively impacted by what’s happening. I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is damn near 100% of incoming college freshmen will be negatively impacted, over 50% of JuCo transfers will be  impacted, and a lot seniors will be impacted one way or the other. 100%, 50%, and “a lot” are all greater than 20%. That’s what I’m saying. Besides that, as I said earlier, the elite juniors are still going to be drafted so the 20% would be reduced by that amount. 

So your logic says that only the JRs that should have been drafted and weren’t are affected?  But all freshman are affected?  Or do you mean all freshman would have been drafted “100%” and got screwed outta being drafted?  (Not a real question). If all the freshman are affected, even those that normally would NOT have been drafted, then why does that same logic not apply to the Jrs? (Rhetorical question). You are comparing several different groups against one another while using different standards for each group. So forgive me for saying, but I don’t think you grasp the concept, even if you did read the article. 

Last edited by RoadRunner
PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

How the heck is the MLB in any way responsible for the NCAA’s problems? Last time I checked, they didn’t pay for the lights to stay on and were not voting members.

RoadRunner posted:

If 600 out of 3000 get drafted that is 20%.  So 20% (or less) of college juniors stand to be negatively impacted by what’s happening. I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is damn near 100% of incoming college freshmen will be negatively impacted, over 50% of JuCo transfers will be  impacted, and a lot seniors will be impacted one way or the other. 100%, 50%, and “a lot” are all greater than 20%. That’s what I’m saying. Besides that, as I said earlier, the elite juniors are still going to be drafted so the 20% would be reduced by that amount. 

So your logic says that only the JRs that should have been drafted and weren’t are affected?  But all freshman are affected?  Or do you mean all freshman would have been drafted “100%” and got screwed outta being drafted?  (Not a real question). If all the freshman are affected, even those that normally would NOT have been drafted, then why does that same logic not apply to the Jrs? (Rhetorical question). You are comparing several different groups against one another while using different standards for each group. So forgive me for saying, but I don’t think you grasp the concept, even if you did read the article. 

OMG!  I’m not talking about the impact of a smaller draft on how many incoming freshmen and JuCo transfers do or don’t get drafted. I’m talking about the overall affect on college baseball of a limited draft, giving existing players another year of eligibility, and potentially increasing roster sizes. The draft is one component of a multifaceted problem. 

adbono posted:
RoadRunner posted:

OMG!  I’m not talking about the impact of a smaller draft on how many incoming freshmen and JuCo transfers do or don’t get drafted. I’m talking about the overall affect on college baseball of a limited draft, giving existing players another year of eligibility, and potentially increasing roster sizes. The draft is one component of a multifaceted problem. 

Indeed. 

adbono posted:

Good one.

SEC had only played 17/18 games which is about 1/3 of their season.  But what will be the big question is what do they do with all the hardship cases that will apply.  Almost every pitcher had not played in 30% of their games and this has to be determined to be a natural disaster or calamity.  How can you keep all of those guys from getting a hardship redshirt?  Only 15 guys of the 35 at Vandy had played in more than 30% of their games.  All players who are eligible will apply even if they are not planning on needing it just to be safe.  Every pitcher that is thinking about being drafted will apply because that adds leverage to their negotiating power.  A junior that did not get drafted this year will apply so he is a redshirt junior next year and still has leverage.  A freshman will apply because they will be eligible their redshirt sophomore year, redshirt junior year, and redshirt senior year.  So the stockpile for pitchers and many position players is still there.  I don't see how they can deny the hardship cases because the rules right now are clear. 

Longenhagen said in the podcast that bonus pools in the draft won't increase the next 3 years. He also thinks that mlb could use that to permanently contract the draft. 

It won't stay 5 rounds hopefully but mlb wanted to contract the minors and safe money on this for a long time and this is the perfect opportunity.

Really amateur players have no leverage here except when they are multi sports guys like murray and MLB is using this.

The union won't help amateurs and minor leaguers either, if anything they will sell them as a bargaining chip because they have so little leverage against the owners.

I think domestic players already should have been warned about mlb cutting pay on amateurs when they cut pay of international free agents and ohtani could only get 3m instead of 40 like moncada.

Many domestic players thought this was only fair since they could not get that much and that is probably right but what is the worth of fairness if your situation doesn't improve and only the other one is doing worse.

The international draft is the next thing and this time it is the domestic amateurs turn to pay. Amateurs have no leverage except when they are multi sport guys and mlb is abusing this situation.

I think this pay cut share for the amateurs might be permanent, mlb just has zero incentive to walk back from that.

What incentive does mlb have to not stick with 5 rounds forever? 

Do the amateurs have any leverage? 

5 real prospects in a draft is probably all the real prospects a team needs and the rest can probably be filled with kids signing for 20k or international kids especially if every team is contracting one or two minor league affiliates thus needing less roster fillers.

This would of course affect poorer players more. Wealthy families can afford supporting their son for trying pro ball 2-3 years "for fun" and then start work life but for players from less affluent backgrounds it could be hard to get by by 20k and minor league salary for 6 months of the year.

This could affect talent pool long term, not necessarily the real prospects but the competiton they get to play in the minors.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.