Skip to main content

I know there have been a lot of topics about Moms on HSBBW but the world lost one of the best baseball moms of all time last night.  After a 3 year courageous battle against cancer, my mother peacefully passed away and joined her parents in heaven.   She was at every one of my games from tee-ball through high school and was my biggest supporter and also one of the nicest, most supportive parents to all players at every game.  My high school teammates are posting about her on social media all day, that is a testament to a great baseball parent.   

She was a Yankee fan that morphed into a Tampa Bay fan after her move to Florida in 1989.   She traveled the world with my dad but spoke about how her favorite vacation of her life was the week we spent at Cooperstown to watch my son's team play all week and make an unexpected deep run.  I posted recently about my son's first outing at college, she was planning to be there but God had other plans for her.   In her Hospice room yesterday I noticed a note for the nurses about her favorite things and in print it stated her favorite sport was baseball.   

I know many of you have lost loved ones and I am sorry if this is off topic but I wanted to honor my mom and all baseball moms.  If your mom is still with us give her a hug.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So sorry for your loss Gunner, but a real nice tribute to your mom.  Having something, baseball in this case, that bonds generations of a family creates a real special bond.  I’m sure you and your son will continue to appreciate this.

If you don’t mind, I’ll add that I lost my father this fall, and he was an enormous baseball fan, as was his mother.  I think this weekend at AWP will be tough for me. When son was a freshman in 2019, my Christmas present to my dad was a weekend at West Point, watching baseball and taking in the area.  Of course it was canceled in 2019 and no visitors in 2020.  This will be my first time there and I’m sure regrets will follow that we didn’t have the father, son watching grandson weekend.

Didn’t mean to hijack this thread, but wanted to re-enforce your comments, cherishing L, not only family but this wonderful sport, highs and lows.

I can relate. My Mom was also a great baseball Mom and was the greatest influence in my life. I have posted about her before. I hold my memories of her close to my heart and think of her often. Im sure that you will learn to do the same. I can tell by the way you write about her that you had a special relationship with her. I’m very sorry for your loss but I’m also thankful that you had such a special Mom in your life as long as you did.

Gunner,

Sorry for your loss, and this really hits home for me.  My mother in law is in hospice, and my wife got a call yesterday from her Mom to come see her.   My wife is a mess.   She had to drop everything to grab a plane to Maine.  She finally got there at 11pm, and her Mom was sleeping.  My wife is on her way to visit her this AM.   My two oldest sons called me last night, and they could barely keep it together.  My youngest is serving our country, and there is no way of getting in touch with him on a moments notice.  My mother in law is a huge Red Sox and Portland Sea Dogs fan, and loved coming to see her grandchildren play in some baseball tournaments over the years including some college games.   She loves baseball, and knew a lot.  Her favorite player was Ted Williams.

I'm hoping for the best, but as my brother in law said last night...."she is just old, and lived a great life".  She was born on the same day as the 1929 stock market crash.   It is crazy to think of all the events she has seen in her lifetime.  I'm just hoping she makes it through another day, but that is just guarded optimism.   I'm very fortunate to have such a great mother in law.  God bless our moms and mother in laws!

@Francis7 posted:

Speaking of moms...

I never cease to be amazed when I find out a forum member here is a mom when all along I thought it was a dude. Bless those ladies for jumping into this mess. My wife would never do it. Then again, I post enough for two.

I used to purposely word things as to not give away that I was a mom. A lot of times, moms are not taken seriously. I had a travel coach tell me, after a 15 minute conversation about my son coming to play for him, that I was not a normal mom. I actually think there are quite a few of us.

Last edited by baseballhs

In honor of @Gunner Mack Jr.'s Mom, I will never hide that I am a Mom again. :-) I did for months when I first joined HSBBBW (or at least I was vague). Gunner, I lost my father a few years ago and our parents sound very similar down to the loving to travel and the fabulous Cooperstown memories. Some days will be so much harder than other but everything you did together, all of the love she showered on you and your family...that will sustain you.

It has been a decade since I lost my mom.  She was my biggest fan.  Both my mom and dad worked at a factory that was horrible to work in.  Their joy was watching both my brother and I play.  I've told this story before but will tell it again.  We were playing in a tournament and the person I was playing catch with before we played threw the ball over my head.  The ball rolled under this lady's chair.  I went to her and politely asked if I could get my ball.  She commented that I was so polite and wanted to meet my parents to tell them.  I took her to my mom.  I didn't expect both of them to break down in tears and hug each other.   Long story short, this lady was a cousin who had not seen my mom for years due to a family feud.  My mom gained her family back that day.  God Bless all Moms.

Gunner, I am sorry for your loss. 

Last edited by CoachB25

Gunner - sorry for your loss.   

I lost my Dad 4+ years ago.  It still hurts a little.  Mom is still with us, but we almost lost her last year due to a stroke.  Fortunately, she has recovered, but still has a ways to go.  Wife lost both her parents in the last two years.  It was rough for her as they were always close.

I know there have been a lot of topics about Moms on HSBBW but the world lost one of the best baseball moms of all time last night.  After a 3 year courageous battle against cancer, my mother peacefully passed away and joined her parents in heaven.   She was at every one of my games from tee-ball through high school and was my biggest supporter and also one of the nicest, most supportive parents to all players at every game.  My high school teammates are posting about her on social media all day, that is a testament to a great baseball parent.   

She was a Yankee fan that morphed into a Tampa Bay fan after her move to Florida in 1989.   She traveled the world with my dad but spoke about how her favorite vacation of her life was the week we spent at Cooperstown to watch my son's team play all week and make an unexpected deep run.  I posted recently about my son's first outing at college, she was planning to be there but God had other plans for her.   In her Hospice room yesterday I noticed a note for the nurses about her favorite things and in print it stated her favorite sport was baseball.   

I know many of you have lost loved ones and I am sorry if this is off topic but I wanted to honor my mom and all baseball moms.  If your mom is still with us give her a hug.

I would have loved being friends with  your mom.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.