Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I said a few weeks ago that D1 would get another year because some will not get to play this year and they are trying to do what is right by the kids in college.  The fear of getting sued is still a big concern, I believe, for many schools.  Can't bring kids back on campus because someone may get Covid and die and sue the college.  Can't not give everyone another year of eligibility because if a kid doesn't get a season that was not his fault, then he might sue the college and the NCAA.  I know it hurts the future college guys and is confusing to many.  If they get it back, mine might graduate at the end of his freshman year (third year in college) next year.  He could get his doctorate before he loses his eligibility.  There will easily be 25 maybe 26 year old seniors and if they get real redshirts could be older.  I know what some of you are going to say but it is realistic that some of these guys could work the jobs and take a few classes to remain eligible and be family men with jobs playing D1 baseball.

BTW, many juco's, I don't know whether all or just some have put a stop to any in face contact except on campus until mid-January.

I haven't heard that D1 spring sports have been cancelled. And I am hoping the NCAA will not make another mistake. I suppose the coaches feel the same way.

Just keep in mind that no coach is forced to give any 5th year player a roster spot, unless they have been hurt. My personal opinion is that I doubt that you 25 or 26 year olds would be on a team.

I think that any individual ballplayer who lost a season or seasons to COVID should get back ONE year max. If they were seniors in 2020, and so lost part of that season, give them one more year. If they were underclassmen last year and lose this year too, give them one year.  If they are freshmen this year, another year.  But that's it.  Let players play most of their college time, but also encourage them to move on with life.

If you take the year off (i.e. don't enroll in classes at all), do you lose a year of eligibility?  There are some of those guys, at least in D3, too.

If you take the year off (i.e. don't enroll in classes at all), do you lose a year of eligibility?  There are some of those guys, at least in D3, too.

I don't know but I believe it's a 5 year clock starting from day one of the first semester freshman year.

I always thought that meant while enrolled, but I've been told it's a real time clock. At least at the D1 level. There's also a good chance I'm wrong.

I’m with @adbono on this one. No matter what you feel about Covid, the numbers are going up and there is no reason to believe they’ll slow down anytime soon. With all the excitement around the potential vaccines right now, “regular” people won’t have a chance to get one before June. The math and logistics support that notion.  Add in the likelihood that the President-elect will be less brazen with the virus than the current one, and it doesn’t scream “we’re playing ball this spring.”  I’d love to be way wrong on everything I just typed, but my hope produced exactly zero this year.

@TPM posted:

Looks like, maybe D1 baseball will begin in March.

By the end of January, it is projected that 50 million will have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.  There are approximately 54 million people over the age of 65.  

https://www.statista.com/stati...e-us-by-sex-and-age/

It takes 28 days to achieve 90-95% efficiency. That would be around the end of February or beginning of March. Moderna also has another vaccine. So the amount of available vaccine should be even higher than the 50 million, allowing for health care providers and other high risk groups to be treated.

If they delay spring sports, I personally would be for delaying the start of spring semester, provided that education can become “real” again with in person instruction.

That some d3s have already cancelled is not encouraging me about other d3s.  But I'm thinking d1s will go the way of football.  Play as many games as you can and deal with pandemic only if you have to (ie, athletes get sick, take a couple of weeks off).

I didn't care a lot about what level my kids played once I realized they weren't d1 studs.  Now I really wish they were d1 studs.   Then I might actually get to see them play this spring...

Damn exit velo.

@PABaseball posted:

I don't know but I believe it's a 5 year clock starting from day one of the first semester freshman year.

I always thought that meant while enrolled, but I've been told it's a real time clock. At least at the D1 level. There's also a good chance I'm wrong.

For D1, the 5 year calendar/clock actually starts the first time you are registered as a full-time student, so even if you drop classes to below 12 credits before classes start, that doesn't delay the calendar starting. There are some very rare exceptions that would pause the countdown of the 5 year clock, and not attending classes isn't one of them.

D2 and D3 use ten full-time semesters to complete four seasons of participation. No calendar limit.

@RoadRunner posted:

If they delay spring sports, I personally would be for delaying the start of spring semester, provided that education can become “real” again with in person instruction.

Real education as we know it won't return next spring, not unless the teachers and professors get vaccinated first.

Here in FL they are expected to drop the pfizer vaccine in December and in my county. Vaccine given in drive by to many.  Yea, how to you keep it at 100 degrees?  I need 2 shots. Who is covering cost?  Health care workers, first responders, the millions of seniors living in facilities. Most healthy people want to take moderna, the single shot. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Some folks feel the people of Fl are being used.  Some people dont even think this is true, and wont know the truth until information is exchanged between the old and new administrations. 

Because most D1 and D2 brought their athletes on to campus, many have had covid to deal with. Had to stop practice for awhile and go to individuals because at one time too many were not able to come to practice. If one gets it, the roommates have to quarantine. But they got thru the fall and today FAU finishes up their Iron Owl competition and the kids will be tested and they can go home if negative. They are allowed to come back to use the facilities and finish their online classes and take exams. Of course if you live off campus that's great not sure if freshman will have an issue going  back to dorms but this is for all athletes.

The biggest challenge was keeping them in their bubble. It was a great learning opportunity.

I heard recently that the ACC/SEC are planning 4 games per weekend, no weekdays. Since then many conferences are following. Obviously this is great because it saves them all $$$. Also an opportunity for cold climate schools to head south and stay in one place. This is great for schools close in proximity.  Lots of things to work out for RPI, required number of games, etc. This wont be an easy task with or without a vaccine. Of course much has been learned through the football experience. Did they have problems, you bet.

The target start date is March of 2021. This should be a goal for all programs. Instead of shutting them out, bring them onto campus. Everyone knew that it would get worse and I understand weather is a factor. Florida had a terrible fall, rain like I have never seen, day after day, weeks at a time. But they got through it.

I have a suggestion for those folks who are confused as to the plan for your son/ daughter program and conference this spring. Get on the phone and make a call. Ask questions. It's your right to do so. If you feel uncomfortable call the assistant AD. You have a right. Or their should be parent Zoom meetings for the team parents.

Just a suggestion for everyone. You want to know, what is the plan (if you or your athlete dont know).

My post probably is more appropriate for those that live in the southeast where you can be outside more than inside, but those further north need to do some homework. It's better that you find out than taking someone's opinion for what's going to happen this spring.

JMO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.