Skip to main content

Which actor and role do you think was the best portrayal of a baseball player in a movie. I’m talking about mechanically, who do you think did it best? I thought Sheen looked pretty good in Major League, but I’d probably have to give it to Costner for either Bull Durham or For The Love of The Game. He hit lefty in BD and actually looked pretty good. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Consultant posted:

"Mr Baseball" with Tom Sellick. Five Southern California Pro scouts were hired as actors. During our Area Code tryouts I would introduce each to the parents. The story line had many "human interest", coaching strategy, team interaction and the romantic involvement of hero with the Japanese culture.

Bob

Good call! Forgot about that movie. Selleck definitely looked the part. 

I think Freddie Prinze Jr. did a bad movie about the Cape Cod League, and he could actually play.

Dennis Quaid in The Rookie was OK as well.  He had stiffened a bit with age, but he did have a background as an actual player.

Some real players are role players or extras in Rookie of the Year as well. 

Bernie Mac in Mr. 3000 wasn't a total hack. 

But I think my vote has to go to Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions.

@Midlo Dad posted:

I think Freddie Prinze Jr. did a bad movie about the Cape Cod League, and he could actually play.

Dennis Quaid in The Rookie was OK as well.  He had stiffened a bit with age, but he did have a background as an actual player.

Some real players are role players or extras in Rookie of the Year as well. 

Bernie Mac in Mr. 3000 wasn't a total hack. 

But I think my vote has to go to Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions.

Summer Catch with FPjr could have been really good if he were as good an actor as he is a baseball player! I really liked the idea for the movie but the acting was terrible by just about everybody....except Jessica Biel, she is always good

We should also talk about the worst portrayal!

I nominate Gary Cooper for Pride of the Yankees.

Though John Goodman's "The Babe" has to be mentioned.  Note to JG:  The Babe got bigger as his career moved along, but he didn't have a Santa Claus-like bowl full of jelly hanging over his belt for cryin' out loud.  Especially not when he first started out.

Which actor and role do you think was the best portrayal of a baseball player in a movie. I’m talking about mechanically, who do you think did it best? I thought Sheen looked pretty good in Major League, but I’d probably have to give it to Costner for either Bull Durham or For The Love of The Game. He hit lefty in BD and actually looked pretty good. 

Costner is supposed to be a "pretty good" baseball player.  I read he was a walk-on with CS Fullerton but didn't make it.  You can tell he has ability by watching him throw.  He previously donated many $$ to CSF baseball program.

@Texas1836 posted:

That is funny.  Tommy is known as one too.

Which is really too bad, I think.  I thought Jones crushed it in "No Country for Old Men" but I'm not from Texas, so what do I know.

And before anyone says there's no baseball in "NCFOM" please recall this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_rRmkbA9I

the whole scene is amazing but "Call it" is sort of a baseball thing.

Be generous with me.

Also, a legit offering: Some of the guys in "Sugar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFPo7XMWGMo

Last edited by smokeminside

Smoke- One of the best movies ever. There are a lot of Texas-related things in that movie.

Anton Chigurh seems modeled after Jimmy Chagra (google) Lotta history there. And, there have been two federal judges assassinated that I’m aware of. One of them was Joyce Vance’s father in Birmingham. The other was Judge John Wood who was killed In his driveway in San Antonio about 40 years ago by none other than Woody Harrelson’s father. It is widely believed that Jimmy hired Mr Harrelson to kill Judge Wood. And yes, Jimmy and Judge Wood had a history. And Harrelson was a bounty hunter in the movie.
I have digressed

Last edited by Texas1836

This is my favorite clip from Moneyball.  "I'm just sayin', his girlfriend is a 6. At best"

https://youtu.be/6naO8n6HsqE

I don't know if it's a realistic portrayal of baseball scouts, but I think there's some truth to it.

There is definitely correlation between elite athleticism and big dick energy, but I'm not sure scouts get the causation right.  They assume that cocky kids become good athletes because they're cocky, but I believe some good athletes become cocky because they're good athletes. 

https://youtu.be/1FUB8SrlQAE

The look on the kid's face after he gets hit with the glove cracks me up every time !!!!

GOT HIM

I'm sad to say that today's hyper PC culture conditioned me to first think "that's child abuse.  Hitting a defenseless kid with a glove when not looking. Nothing funny about that. Tom Hanks is a pig "....  Then I came to my senses and laughed my ass off. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.