Skip to main content

Interesting that the MSABC nomination process for "Maryland" players does not consider kids that play ball in the Maryland, DC and Virginia vicinity.

What that means is that several kids that are ranked by Perfect Game -- No. 1 and No. 2 in the State of Maryland and live in the State of Maryland are not included in this nomination process because they play high school in DC. Both players are ranked in the top 20 by Baseball America (no other kids from Maryland noted) in the US for the State of Maryland. These are Maryland kids......

Oh by the way, both kids are All-Americans (Rawlings/Alfac) -- but not allowed to represent the State of Maryland --- interesting way to narrow the field by the MSABC/Maryland HS Baseball Coaches. Too bad it does not recognize the best baseball players that reside in the State of Maryland......
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I concur with Trepfan.

The old school Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches would have done the right thing (and have in the past).

The several HS kids you are referring to are so deserving as the Top Shelf Maryland players, (both on and off the field), the young MSABC "Exec" Board should be ashamed of themselves (and resign), but will not.

Summary, the new "Exec Board" of the Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches are very very misinformed (and both on and off the field). The two 'coaches' from Montgomery County should apologize to all players, coaches, and fans not only in the great state of Maryland, yet within in the Greater Washington DC-Maryland-Virginia Metropolitan area. (Or better yet, take their heads out of the sand)
Last edited by Bear
Sure it is stupid but then again -- look who is running the show at MSABC and what their primary interest is --- not to showcase the best players residing in Maryland but to look for excuses to limit the field -- ignore the Perfect Game/Baseball Amercica rankings for the State of Maryland, ignore All-American designations (Alfac/Rawlings/Under Armor) from the State of Maryland, ignore that they reside in the State of Maryland and have been ranked as high school players from the State of Maryland, ignore that many of their high school games are played in the State of Maryland against other State of Maryland High Schools --- ignore that they played travel ball in the State of Maryland (BCC), ignore the fact that past baseball players residing in the State of Maryland that attended Washington DC prep schools were included in the past.......

No the current MSABC leadership want to have a shot at promoting their kids from their respective high schools and to seek "bi-laws" that limit the pool of candidates ....despite the fact that several of the other kids residing in the State of Maryland but excluded are ranked no.1 and no.2 by Perfect Game and top twenty in the US by Baseball American for high schools players from the State of Maryland --- but will not be considered because the "revised" bi-laws prohibit them because they attend a prep school in DC (although they reside in the State of Maryland and are recognized by Aflac, Rawlings, Under Armor, Perfect Game, Baseball America etc.) as high school baseball players from the State of Maryland.

To bad -- because it cheapens the honor and overall purpose of the honorary designation and lowers the overall skill of the team representing the State of Maryland in national events.
You guys make me laugh. Let's start with Bear. Bear is very bitter because he isn't allowed in the MSABC anymore, since he isn't a coach. He used to come to the meetings and spew out information like it was fact. Sometimes he was correct on a kids ability or who might be looking at them college wise. However, many times he had no clue and had major miss information. Coaches were laughing at him when he would say "Joe Smith from Apple HS has a scholarship offer to Arizona St." And many times they couldn't be farther from the truth. So now he isn't allowed to attend the meetings and vote like he had in the past and he wants to run hard working guys names in the dirt. These guys aren't perfect, and they don't claim to be, however the MSABC is more organized then it ever has been. Bear, stop living in the past. Don't let some of the good things you do for young baseball players in the MD area get ruined by you spouting off garbage about guys that are actually trying to make HS baseball in MD better.
TrepFan- stop crying, those St. John's kids choose to go to school there so be it. If you go to school in a different "state" then you shouldn't be included. If a MD kid goes to play baseball in for University of Texas, he will be included in the Big 12 preseason awards, he doesn't get included in the ACC award bec. he lives in MD. And as a matter of fact, there are awards and honors that only kids from DC get.....Last time I checked they would be eligble for that. Stop crying. I don't care what their other awards are or where PG has them rated....Good for PG. Here is another question, how can St. John's not win it all last year with the 9 Division 1 kids? That might be unheard of.
Let me start by saying I have only been a member for about 5 years but in that time I think the leaders during that time have done a great job. As for Bear I applaud the fact he is trying to get kids exposure any way he can. As for the kids living in MD. but playing in D.C. I think it is a shame but I can see the point that it is a Maryland Assosciation. Maybe there needs to be a chapter started in just D.C. with the winner of the Brooks game playing the winner of the D.C. chapter and rotate it between Camden Yards and the Nationals stadium.
quote:
Originally posted by Terp_Pride:

Terp_Pride:

Should you want to step up to the plate and identify yourself many readers, such as Coach King, and others would benefit from your information.

(However, the over-under, (should history repeat itself) is 2009 ....before the posting of your 3rd blog. I took the under!)

May this serve as your Twelve Days of Christmas!
(but then that by itself requires a cost-benefit examination.)

With regards to your acusations, assumptions and perceptions: there a differing view points of many, and I know I have my own.

However, since any ink is better than no ink, thanks.

Several of the 'old school' MSABC members (contrary to you being very misinformed) have requested my attendance at the Dec 11 meeting at Crofton Middle school. (As so stated: since the 'new' MSABC has received, taken and spent my 2007 dues.

And some of the aging MSABC members have not seen any email announcing requests for 2008 dues, nor any email listing the player nominees for 2008 Pre-Season. (Organized? lol)

And the "Twelve Days" are:
1) I returned to an active HS coaching status
(just in case you are reporting status, but then who really asks or desires to find out before the MSABC Exec makes up stuff for such decisions. (Organized ? LOL ).

2) A reserve status was probably due to:
heart attack,
stroke,
respitory distress,
high blood pressure,
diabetes,
protesthis, and recently, an
enlarging prostate.
I received a good report from the Colonoscopy exam (and strongly suggest you seek such services, if of age) however results from the endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography were less than remarkable (which is a good thing). And since you wanted to know, the senility comes and goes as the task of remembering which fricking color and size pill or liquid to take, I really would benefit from a game time scorecard.

3) Will (you or the MSABC) be nominating Joe Smith from Apple HS this year?

4) I was pleased to hear my Dec 2006 MSABC nominations for
- MSABC 2007 Media Person of the Year
- MCABC 2007 Female Executive of the Year
were honored at the 2007 MSABC Banquet.
I have known each of these fine individuals for a long time, and each required recognition for their development of youth and amateur baseball.
(Organized? lol)

5) It was dissapointing to hear my Dec 2006 player nomination for the 2007 Pre-season Team was accepted but not considered by the MSABC.
Maybe you did not hear this fine young man (who went to school and live in Maryland) was honored as the 2007 Washington Post All-Met Player of the Year

6) I believe in altruism.
Not to bore you, yet not as a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges (as you may believe) but as a basis for the elementary pleasures provided by the cost-benefit relationship of human cooperation from past experiences as it is examined for acting together to gain resources from other groups at this challenging time in history.

7) In other words, I have been helping and (hopefully) developing youth, amateur, and professional baseball players in the great state of Maryland, on and off the field, for a lifetime.

Should this be what you believe is "living in the past", then I think some just might be sorry for you.

I have never had any desire to 'run hard working guys names in the dirt' and vehemently take exception.
Republicans, altruist, serviceman & Chevrolet's don't do that.
Democrat's with ego's do.

7) Knowing and understanding the past (IMHO) is a good thing.
It helps know where some have been, what were their challenges and alternatives to such decision making, how the information supports planning courses of action, and offers guidance to what and where next headings, the how's and why's are a few of the key performance parameters. (Kind of like coaching a baseball game, ya think?) Organized ? (lol)

8) Would you happen to sell health and life insurance?

9) In my vocation, there is a phrase on the door (or in the clubhouse).
'Words Have Meaning'. (Organized? lol)

10) The last metric on the number of public and private schools in the Great State of Maryland was 480. In 2006, ~ eighteen HS were represented at the 2006 Dec Meeting. That's < 4%. (Organized? lol)

11) Any over-under for the # of HS's representated at the Dec 2007 MSABC
meeting? Since I went under last time, I'm might do the same.

12) Will your apology to the Greater Washington DC-Maryland-Virginia Metropolitan area be in a carol "Hark! the herald angels sing" . Does this mean I might be seeing your Christmas card hanging over the fireplace this year?

Good luck to you sir (or m'amm).

Merry Christmas

cheers,

Bear

ps. How does sand taste?
Last edited by Bear
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spike:
/QUOTE]

Coach,

Efforts are in the embrionic stage, but not as a chapter as stated.

Telecon's continue.
Meetings planned to:
- visit the new Stadium with the Clark Contruction family who has mentioned it to the Lerner family.
(that is if a big enough hard hat can be located for my bucket)
- Line-item budgets are in discussion
- High level schedules and concepts being discussed.
- And should every one involved so far have any say, it won't be closed.
- A concern being expressed in a draft charter is never desiring to place any HS player in the middle of making a conflicting decision, should that ever be the case.

It could remind me of the ol'days when Martz Insurance pitched, hit and ran over Leonies/Johnnie's! (Organized? lol)

Who remembers the Baltimore Old'Timers?

cheers
Bear
Wow Bear another post that is all over the place? If you are coaching again then thats great, glad to see there. Hopefully this won't turn into another "Whatever Bear says must be true meeting" I think Jason is doing a great job, in the past I never even new there was all state voting among other things. Those guys did the best they could do at the time. It is a thankless job. I think Jason is doing a great job. Not everyone is going to agree on everything. There isn't a organization out there that does. My issue is when someone like yourself is out there blasting a guy that is working hard for kids. Since you will be in attendence will you be "blasting the current MSABC officers? Will you be letting all of the MSABC know your concerns? I hope you do, I would like to hear how that goes. For everything 2 good things you do for kids, do you 3 dumb things.
Excellent post Bear -- Sounds like Terp Pride is part of the group of fathers/coaches from MSABC that want to ignore the best players residing in Maryland and play the "loop-hole" game. Why would the MSABC not want to showcase kids that reside in Maryland, are recognized by all of the major scouting services as living in Maryland --- (PG, Baseball Amercia, Aflac etc) that have received All-American.......designations (Rawlings, Alfac, Under Armor) and are RANKED No.1 and No.2 in the State of Maryland ---
Wow Trepfan you just don't get it. Who cares what awards they have one and what PG has them ranked. The MSABC is a state school organization. It takes kids from state schools. Not a hard concept. Those kids are great players, and have numerous honors. Congrats to them, but there has to be some kind of cut off for these things. The MSABC's cutoff is you have to go a school in MD. Every league or association has rules for these kinds of things. I am pretty sure if a kid who lives in Northern VA and goes to Dematha, I don't think he is eligble for the Commonweatlh Games or All state honors in VA. Does that make their lists less repituble? No, of course not. Here is what I think the issue is, someone at St. John's either a coach/parent/or kid is only worried about honors and awards. If you can't figure this out, then you really need some help mentally. And by the way still shocked that they couldn't win the league last year with those 9 division 1 players.
quote:

So you liked the gift of twelve days of Christmas.
It's just that you were unable to capture all of the knowledge?

Holy cow, you gave me 40%. Smile
I'll take 40% every day, and twice on Sunday.
(I knew that deep down inside you loved the Bear.)

Just think about what 40% does:
1. My ROI in 2006 was about 24%

2. My ROI in 2007 may be (and with a 14000 DOW)
closer to 20%

3. Of all the players in Maryland, seeing 40%
play at the next level.

4. Mr. Williams went by 40%.....once

5. 40% in better health last year than than next year could keep me around for a 30 year retirement.

6. A fourty percent raise....... Sweet.

7. In 2006, ~ 4% of the Maryland HS represented at the 2006 Dec Meeting. At 40%, a bigger place is needed than a Middle School (don't you teach there?)

Hey, I won the first over-and-under.
Can I double down for the second over-under. (I choose the under, remember.)

However, just to keep you from being mis-informed.

And since it's not about me, it's not about you, it's not about Woodyard, it is all about the players. Period

Scott Silverstein is a special, special baseball player.

I recently replied to Coach McElfish the following:
-----------------------------------------------------
I believe he will be an early rounder (and as I also believe) could become as notable as the following pro players (the exception being the two 1st round picks who made the bigs and stayed there: Harold Baines #1 pick in '77 W Sox & Eric Milton 1st round NYY) ):

(And to just write and consider him as the Top of the Top Maryland players demonstrates how talented and projectable this HS lefty is)

01. Mark Teixeira
02. Jimmy Foxx
03. Tom Bradley (7th rounder - College)
04. Ron Svoboda
05. Gavin Floyd
06. Genie Hiser (1st round- College)
07. Bobby Grossman (2nd -College)
08. Brett Cecil (1st rounder - College)
09. Bob Ferris (2nd College)
10. Jimmy Norris (2nd - College
11. Phil Corddry
12. Justin Maxwell (4th rounder-College)
13. John Hetrick (1st round -College)
14. John McCurdy (1st rounder - College)

Do you recognize those names?

(And I probably left off lots of other top players, like the Ciardi brothers, Schaeffer, Chorye Spoone, Steven Johnson (Dave's boy), Brandon Erbe others like yours.

Spike, overall Scott Silverstein is that legit. He's been playing youth, pre-teen, and teenager baseball in Montgomery County since birth. From 2005-2006 he took a big jump (6 mph) in skill, strength, and desire. In 2007 he took a bigger jump (10 mph). He should begin throwing again next Monday (Dec 10) yet brings with him an arsenal at 93-95 (late movement), a pro slider (also an outpitch at 81-83 and late movement), and a MF change with two speeds and both sides of the plate, and with a 75 rating for command, with a soft touch, and with a power arm (and injury free), I see him signing, (yet with a 3.85 GPA, may not be ready for the minor-league bus rides and attending UVA is not a questionable fall back position).

Your idea is interesting.
Good chatting with you. Thanks for listening
-------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Bear

p.s What info you got to keep this from getting 40% boring?
Last edited by Bear
If it's that important that this kid be on the MSABC Pre-Season All State team, I'm sure Coach Spike could find room on his roster this spring. It looks like the kid has the grades to compete at that magnet school and I think his top two pitchers gradusted last year, too. There, it's settled.

And St John's will still have 8 D1 players, he'll hardly be missed. They'll still win the league, going away.
Bear no one wants to hear your mind nubbing dribble. Who knows where you get that **** from. That last post ranks up there with some of your other ramblings that don't make sense. Not shocked though, you have a habit of doing that. I will keep it simple for you, since you come onto this message board and blast the current MSABC officers, will you blast them to their face at the meeting? Let me know how that goes....
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Coach,
Efforts are in the embrionic stage, but not as a chapter as stated.
Telecon's continue.
Meetings planned to:
- visit the new Stadium with the Clark Contruction family who has mentioned it to the Lerner family.
(that is if a big enough hard hat can be located for my bucket)
- Line-item budgets are in discussion
- High level schedules and concepts being discussed.
- And should every one involved so far have any say, it won't be closed.
- A concern being expressed in a draft charter is never desiring to place any HS player in the middle of making a conflicting decision, should that ever be the case.
It could remind me of the ol'days when Martz Insurance pitched, hit and ran over Leonies/Johnnie's! (Organized? lol)
Who remembers the Baltimore Old'Timers?
cheers

Bear

Bear, This sounds exciting. I am not familiar with baseball in DC so I guess I am a "Rookie" in your vernacular, but by your reference to the new Nats’ stadium, are you saying that a MD vs. DC HS All-star game will be played in the new Stadium?
"Line-item budgets" - does that mean there is a group of people that have formally met and are preparing a budget for such a HS All-star game? Does that mean they are preparing to look for sponsors?
"High level schedules" being discussed - who is involved? The Nats? DC Gov't (stadium owner)? Leaders in DC and MD High schools?
"Every one involved" have a say, it won't be closed - Who is involved? I would hope that if they are involved they would be for the proposal - not against it.
"Draft charter" - Sounds like the process is pretty far along.

Since you are bringing this up in a public forum, I would suppose you are involved and have authorization to make these discussions public. Do you have any more details?

It would be great to have a game (or series - one at Nat's one at O's) like this. Is there a NCAA limit on the number of All-Star games that a student can participate in?

Based on your posts, sounds like you were involved in MD baseball a long time ago. And since I am a “Rookie,“ I don’t understand most of your cryptic abbreviations and obscure references - a lot of what you post is unclear to me. Have you been involved in MD HS age baseball recently (other than as an observer)? Did you manage or coach a team last year? Scout for an organization? Another thread indicated that you didn't have your tournament (named after you) last year - are there plans for 2008?

I grew up in MD and enjoy HS baseball. Was at the MSABC Classic at Stone in 2007 - but didn't get to see a couple of players I was thought might be there. Were you there? Might be nice to hear some of your stories and recollections of the old days.

Old Fox

P.S. Happy 56th birthday.
Terp_Pride:

Believe me --- I "get it" loud and clear -- sounds like you either have a kid in the Maryland School System or you are a coach in the Maryland School system -- searching for recogition even though the kids that will be selected WILL NOT BE THE BEST players residing in Maryland -- "GET IT" ----

You are right -- the kids excluded have been selected as National All-Americans and will be playing for top twenty D-I colleges so it will over shadow the local inherently flawed MSABC process.

Take care and enjoy your "local" moment in the sun.
quote:
Originally posted by scout10:
In his post about the MSABC pre season team he seems to think he knows the list.

Dear scout: I did not recently post about the Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches All-State (MSABC) pre-season team! So should I just think about the G, then the F, and end with the U (or maybe you can read after all)?

Dear Mr. Miller: I won't make any opinion about anyone's decisions to transfer from an excellent public school and pitcher (in his time, and friend) coach i.e. at Howard HS, or that I voted for your son two (?) years ago for the pre-season Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches All-State team, and I am happy to hear your son's arm injury recovered and look forward to watching him pitch this year, and hope he will stick to his plan as a ME graduate, yet I may consider accepting guff from the best part of the Miller family, Deb, not your cr&p (apologies are accepted).
Last edited by Bear
quote:
quote:
In his post about the MSABC pre season team he seems to think he knows the list.

Dear scout: I did not recently post about the Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches All-State (MSABC) pre-season team! So should I just think about the G, then the F, and end with the U (or maybe you can read after all)?

Dear Mr. Miller: I won't make any opinion about anyone's decisions to transfer from an excellent public school and pitcher (in his time, and friend) coach i.e. at Howard HS, or that I voted for your son two (?) years ago for the pre-season Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches All-State team, and I am happy to hear your son's arm injury recovered and look forward to watching him pitch this year, and hope he will stick to his plan as a ME graduate, yet I may consider accepting guff from the best part of the Miller family, Deb, not your cr&p (apologies are accepted).

Ok then what is the list that you published?
As someone who has had the priviledge of coaching dozens of 17-18 players over the years who have gone on to various colleges/universities and professional baseball...I'd like to say that the MSABC Nomination Process is no better or worse than some others I have seen.

As an associate scout for the Houston Astros for the past 15 years, I can tell you that some of the best players (with the highest ceilings) haven't even been noticed yet.

Bear does alot of homework. He sees lots of players and speaks to many people. He and I have had our differences in the past, but his son played in our summer program several years ago...and I know he knows what a good player looks like.

These lists are next to worthless in my opinion. No one knows why certain kids are nominated and others are not. It happens and there is nothing we can do about it...other than starting our own lists, full of players who are placed their by our biases and favoritism.
larry,

I have no problem if MSABC picks players that they want even if I don't agree. It is just the way it is. But they picked the other night and did not put it out yet.

It had nothing to do with the list. If he clarified that they were his picks or he said I think this is the list but the list didn't come out and the school commitments that he put next to some of the players were just wrong. It was misleading.
quote:
Originally posted by larrythompson:

He and I have had our differences in the past, but his son played in our summer program several years ago...and I know he knows what a good player looks like. These lists are next to worthless in my opinion.

Larry,
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I am unable to recall such past differences, (and I am hoping it's a little part of my pretty bride's Christian heart that helps me to forgive, forget and move on. However you are a friend of some excellent baseball friends, and thus I would consider a friend.
(and you can never have too many of those, either.)

With regards to my son (and my hero & breadth of fresh air). I don't recall Casey playing in the Columbia Reds "Program". And that would include 19U, 18U, 17U, 16U teams (if they are included w/in 'Program).
I don't recall the Columbia Reds have a 15U, yet I am sure Casey did not play with them either. Casey did play for the Maryland Reds 12U, which were not a part of the Columbia Reds, and played for a summer HCYP team, and an AYRA team. Casey absolutely enjoyed playing for American Legion-Cissel Saxon at age 14, and then consecutively up to age 17, before moving on to Bradenton, FL in the Collegiate Florida League after HS (the year Legion moved the age to 19U).

I think lists are what they are.
I especially like a list where I write (at noon) the name of the guy hitting 3rd, who is catching, the kids who shows up two-three hours before game time, and who has the ball and for a good 6-7 innings. Makes the job a little easier, don't you think.

Nomination process? Nadda. OMG, we are talking about HS teachers that coach baseball, here. They have bosses that want them to have lesson plans. Many don't like 'em, and try hard not to use them. No need to even talk about process in the classroom environment.

OBTW: I accepted a 2008 position to be located at the Fort. You may be hearing from me for lunch, and are the third baseball guy I know there (and of course should you want to brow beat fastpitch in the area for your girls, I've been around that great game too.)

As far as that other guy (or gal): I don't know him/her from jack; have not seen much, if any, data/informations/contributions/substance in his limited posts; has or is becoming borderline boring;, appears to be a member of the excuse club; and with 'misleading' cr&pola, kinda reminds many of a very old dress (or maybe that very funny beer on the head commercial); might be from the Down-Under Gang as a wankr) Might you be a wankr?

Don't know why I am humming that verse: "We fired our guns and they began a running, down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico" Smile
Last edited by Bear
Hmm, I think scout 10 and Mdhsbbfan had great points. However in typical Bear fashion he will dance around a subject, talk about stuff that doesn't matter. I am going to give it to you in simple terms.
1) Does Bear watch a ton of baseball? Yes
2) Has Bear been involved in MD baseball for a very long time? Yes
3) Is Bear a BS artist? Yes
4) Does Bear write and say inaccurate information? Yes
5) Should you take anything he says with a grain of salt? Yes

Bear you said ealier how you would be at the meeting and everything, did you go? Did you tell the new MSABC adminastration that they were failures? That's right we know the answer...it is NO, and that's because you are all talk. Heard from a HC that there was almost 70 coaches there and membership is up over 100 now. Not to bad in my mind. A whole lot better than it used to be. I am never going to woof guys that are working hard to promote the great game of baseball to our kids. Maybe you should consider that also.
Terp_Pride

[quote]I am never going to woof guys that are working hard to promote the great game of baseball to our kids[/quote --- Exactly --- "to our kids" --- which kids are you talking about "our kids" -- now you are finally showing your cards......you sound and think like you attended Maryland public schools. ---- good luck with promoting "our kids".
T_P:

Should you want to step up to the plate and identify yourself, many readers, and others, would benefit from your information.

Until that time, you are simply boring.

Regarding MSABC Metrics. 100 Coaches in attendance is a great metric. Should 1 coach be represented per HS that would revise to 25% participation. However at the Dec meetings, typically four to five coaches attend per HS (voting block) which really means 20 - 25 HS (which is an increase of particpating HS from 4%.) Let's allow you do the math.

And three more items:

1. You are wrong in "Bear you said ealier how you would be at the meeting and everything"

2. You are wrong "the new MSABC adminastration"

3. You are on a crusade to and state "I am never going to woof guys that are working hard to promote the great game of baseball to our kids."

I have responded to your alleged allegations, took exception to it before, and will proceed under all available alternatives. May this be a Cease and Decist.
Last edited by Bear
quote:
quote:

Bear, Here you go again on one of your rambles... I stated, quite correctly, that your list has some inaccuracies. Why can't you just admit it and call it a day? How/why you have to pull my wife and son into this is way beyond me. In fact do me a favor... leave them out of it. Secondly, thank you for the support of my son a few years ago, but you know nothing about his reason for transfer and have no reason to even bring it up. The school he left may be excellent in your eyes, but the school he transferred to had AP science/math classes that no public school in Howard county even offers and is one of the reasons he is doing as well as he is as a ME major playing DI baseball. Go rant somewhere else, but you're way off base on this one. (apologies are accepted)
You are correct Mdhsbbfan, he is going into one of his rambles again, where he doesn't make any sense. That is what someone does when they can't back up their talk. Bear ran his mouth about the MSABC and it's leadership, but when push came to shove he didn't go to the meeting like he said he was going to do, and he sure didn't have the guts to say what he said on the internet to those in charge of the MSABC. Bear you are a joke, and the more you talk, the more you prove it.
To the players that made the MSABC list congrats. To those who didn't, work hard and show up at the regional tryouts and hopefully you can make Team Maryland or the Senior All Star game at Camden Yards.
Bear:

Thanks for your original list of players that you submitted, including the 12? ineligible Marylanders matriculating at DC or Va schools (one you left out was Ft Washington OF Leighton Cooper, a ND recruit, schooling in Va.)

I can't remember when Maryland has ever had as many future college players living within it's borders as are in this year's senior class. Much credit goes to passionate baseball folks like those who read and post here, who have coached, followed and supported these athletes. What's the over/under on D1's from the Land of Pleasant Living this year?
To those kids that made the final cut -- congratulations --- you have worked hard and deserve the recognition. To those players that reside in the State of Maryland including those that have already been NATIONALLY recognized as the best baseball players in the NATION....and were excluded from this local list --- take it for what it is worth......"it all comes out in the wash" ---lets see what happens in May/June MLB draft ---

Best of holidays to everyone.....
quote:
Originally posted by mdhsbbfan:

I have received the following email from Mr. Miller.

"Bear, I have no idea who you are and don't care... I also don't care if you have issue with what I write or say. What I do have a problem with is you including my wife's name in your response. Your editorial about my son's decision to transfer is also out of line. I don't give a rats behind what you think about my son's transfer. Did that thought ever cross your mind? I am not even sure how your reponse has anything to do with what typed.

I'm asking you nicely, please delete my wife's name from your post and remove and reference of my son.?"
)

Should he purge his bs first, then.
quote:
quote:

He and I have had our differences in the past, but his son played in our summer program several years ago...and I know he knows what a good player looks like. These lists are next to worthless in my opinion.

Larry,
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I am unable to recall such past differences, (and I am hoping it's a little part of my pretty bride's Christian heart that helps me to forgive, forget and move on. However you are a friend of some excellent baseball friends, and thus I would consider a friend.
(and you can never have too many of those, either.)

With regards to my son (and my hero & breadth of fresh air). I don't recall Casey playing in the Columbia Reds "Program". And that would include 19U, 18U, 17U, 16U teams (if they are included w/in 'Program).
I don't recall the Columbia Reds have a 15U, yet I am sure Casey did not play with them either. Casey did play for the Maryland Reds 12U, which were not a part of the Columbia Reds, and played for a summer HCYP team, and an AYRA team. Casey absolutely enjoyed playing for American Legion-Cissel Saxon at age 14, and then consecutively up to age 17, before moving on to Bradenton, FL in the Collegiate Florida League after HS (the year Legion moved the age to 19U).

I think lists are what they are.
I especially like a list where I write (at noon) the name of the guy hitting 3rd, who is catching, the kids who shows up two-three hours before game time, and who has the ball and for a good 6-7 innings. Makes the job a little easier, don't you think.

Nomination process? Nadda. OMG, we are talking about HS teachers that coach baseball, here. They have bosses that want them to have lesson plans. Many don't like 'em, and try hard not to use them. No need to even talk about process in the classroom environment.

OBTW: I accepted a 2008 position to be located at the Fort. You may be hearing from me for lunch, and are the third baseball guy I know there (and of course should you want to brow beat fastpitch in the area for your girls, I've been around that great game too.)

As far as that other guy (or gal): I don't know him/her from jack; have not seen much, if any, data/informations/contributions/substance in his limited posts; has or is becoming borderline boring;, appears to be a member of the excuse club; and with 'misleading' cr&pola, kinda reminds many of a very old dress (or maybe that very funny beer on the head commercial); might be from the Down-Under Gang as a wankr) Might you be a wankr?

Don't know why I am humming that verse: "We fired our guns and they began a running, down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico" Smile

I know it has been lots of years, but Casey played for Stan Merson for a year. Stan coached one of our younger Columbia Reds teams. They eventually won a Dizzy Dean World Series the next season.
If I may, it seems the discussion has gotten off track and the focus has gone from the kids and ... well let's say it has gone from the kids.

The reason why or the he said/she said discussion takes away what we seem to have a lot of in this state. Some very nice baseball players, regardless if they get Pre-Season All State or not.

I speak with college coaches on a daily basis and I can tell you they love players from Maryland. Not to start a debate or argument, never have had one ask me about any of the adults.

With that we are all blessed with talented kids, whether they are are ours or those who allowed us the opportunity to coach. Let's enjoy them, mention them here, and stay positive.

Remember players do read this site, and in a funny sort of way we are teaching them with our approach, as well our actions.

Be safe and enjoy the holidays. It won't be long until we are all watching the game we love, as well the kids we love.

Al McCormick
www.mostvaluableplayer.biz
quote:
Originally posted by Al McCormick:
If I may, it seems the discussion has gotten off track and the focus has gone from the kids and ... well let's say it has gone from the kids.

The reason why or the he said/she said discussion takes away what we seem to have a lot of in this state. Some very nice baseball players, regardless if they get Pre-Season All State or not.

I speak with college coaches on a daily basis and I can tell you they love players from Maryland. Not to start a debate or argument, never have had one ask me about any of the adults.

With that we are all blessed with talented kids, whether they are are ours or those who allowed us the opportunity to coach. Let's enjoy them, mention them here, and stay positive.

Remember players do read this site, and in a funny sort of way we are teaching them with our approach, as well our actions.

Be safe and enjoy the holidays. It won't be long until we are all watching the game we love, as well the kids we love.

Al McCormick
www.mostvaluableplayer.biz

Right on Al! The head coach of Gulf Coast C.C. (Florida) told me back in 1999 he would take a player from MD over a player from Florida anyday if the two players had similar skills (and he could afford him). Players in MD play in terrible weather and on shoddy fields.
quote:
You are correct Mdhsbbfan, To the players that made the MSABC list congrats. To those who didn't, work hard and show up at the regional tryouts and hopefully you can make Team Maryland or the Senior All Star game at Camden Yards.

T_P

As I have stated to you directly it's NOT about me, it's NOT about you, and for those that enjoy baseball, they know that I believe and practice, and have been blessed that it's all about the kids. AND I PRACTICE THAT JUST ABOUT EVERYDAY and IT IS NOT DEBATABLE.

I have responded to your alleged allegations, take exception to it again, and will proceed under all available alternatives. May this be a 2nd Cease and Decist.

As far as the MSABC, I support it and have paid my MSABC dues. I see no need to even inquiry about you, since it is reality of your inabilities to come out of the closet, so try to keep up.
OBTW: And to clarify so that you may be able to understand, the 'unofficial' MSABC list was made available by the MSABC Exec Committee and I have posted on a separate blog.

I am not thinking about the G, then the F, and finally the U for you anymore.
T_P you are 100% boring, and then, there is no reason for to match wits with someone unarmed.

Mdhsbbfan: Purge your blog first, & I will amend. Final Answer
quote:

I know it has been lots of years, but Casey played for Stan Merson for a year. Stan coached one of our younger Columbia Reds teams. They eventually won a Dizzy Dean World Series the next season.

Larry,

From memory, that team in 1999 was a merger of two good youth teams from the year before, yet was under the budget and domain of the AYRA Reds.
The 1998 Maryland Reds (from SSSA - played at Fairland - from which Merson's oldest Steven briefly played). Merson's 1998 AYRA Reds played both in-house and some travel (I do remember the Maryland Reds five inning mercy of AYRA Reds at the NABF Playoffs at 6th Street. My friend Frank Jocko Svoboda umpired (and he frequently recalls barking at Merson before the game even started)!

Any way, about 7-8 parents from the 1998 Maryland Reds got together and asked what it would take to get to the World Series. The offer on the table in front of me was if I could figure out a way to do that, the trip would be paid for. I recall handing my 1999 recruiting list to Merson when I met his President of Sandy Spring Bank in Olney (Pres - he played at UVA, when I played at Terpville) the year before. So presto, those two youth teams combined, Stan coached, (he asked me to help coach with him at the 1999 World Series yet under strict doctors orders ...unable to....wife would have stopped feeding me....which probably was a good idea). I think it was in 2000, where Merson coached as you say, the Columbia Reds 15U and won a WS. Casey played American Legion for Cissel as a 15 y/o in 2000. Matt Montgomery also played American Legion that year (and I think you know that story). It was also Conrad's Bolston last year of baseball as he is now a pro-football player. (Of course I had to call Casey in Wisconsin to figure this all out, and I may be a year off or two. Good memories though, and of course it went so fast.)
Last edited by Bear

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.