Skip to main content

Passing on some wisdom regarding my son's recruiting journey (he verbally committed last week). He is a 2019. Feels weird being on this side of the fence now, but this forum did a TON of good in helping to navigate the process.

Just read a post regarding concerns about a young man not receiving an offer this summer as a rising junior. Many responses were "Power 5 D1 schools are done looking at juniors."

I can tell you that this is not entirely true. Any parent with a talented player that is a rising junior with no offers should not be overly concerned. My son, a rising senior, is a perfect example. He just committed to a great school and program...and yes it is a D1 in a strong baseball conference on the west coast. At the start of summer, although he worked his tail off the past year preparing, it was a big unknown as to how things would shake out.

As has been said on many a thread before (and advice that my son followed) is to cast the net wide. You are hunting for an offer...then and only then did my son's recruiting go from "a few schools that showed some interest" to multiple schools calling, texting, and inviting him to visits. This included D1 schools from all over the country: Big 10, Big East, PAC 12, Big West, WAC and even a team from the Southland Conference. Keep in mind that at the start of summer (June), he had no offers and a only a few schools following him. 

As a rising Senior, this summer was it for my son. He prepared well the past year and showed very well early on in the summer in both tournaments and showcases. He received an offer from a strong D2 here in California, which he would have been very happy with. Good school, great coach. He then e-mailed several of the coaches "following him" and let them know that his recruiting status had changed. Long story short, word got out quickly and he received two other offers (both D1) and pulled the trigger on one, which he is over the moon about. Also, a national college sports powerhouse called 2 days after he committed asking for him to come out for a visit (4 hour plane ride from Cali). Too late.... and although this would be a dream school for many, my son was happy with his decision and offer from the west coast school he committed to.

Long story short, especially for rising juniors/2020s, there is time and yes, many D1s are deep into their 2020 commits, but many are not and next summer is the time to prepare for. Get on their radar (e-mails, phone calls, have a coach contact them, perhaps go to a showcase they will be attending) and prepare for the next opportunity.    

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WCP, I could be losing it but I don't recall seeing prior post that your son committed.  HUGE congrats and thanks for sharing more of his journey.  Sounds like things really took off at one point.

Some of us here like to know where HSBBW kids are so we can send karma and follow, so if you are comfortable, would love to know name and school, whether it be to the open forum or PM.  If you're not inclined, totally fine too.  But just so ya know, HSBBW karma is historically worth at least 50 plus points on BA and a full run reduced on ERA.

Great story and accompanying post! So very pleased for your son! Congratulations!

Your post serves as an important reminder to many. My son, the recruiter, is quick to tell anyone who is interested that he is always recruiting; that is, he is always looking for the next player he thinks can contribute on the field and meet his responsibilities off the field; regardless of class.

Agree.  I was starting to panic with my 2020.  He is actually ranked in the top 150 but up until last week, had two offers (neither of which he felt totally comfortable with).  I started noticing 2 weeks ago, a lot of 2019s committing to big D1 P5 programs.  We had a heart to heart and I told him not to stress and if we waited until the next summer, we did. I fully believe in him and we would wait until it felt like the right school.  He did an event last week and came off the field with messages to call 7 coaches (4 he had no prior contact with but were telling him an offer was coming).  He committed to TCU on Monday.  

A lot of these schools are not close to done. Be realistic, but again, look at the classes for each school, you can tell who is still looking.

baseballhs posted:

Agree.  I was starting to panic with my 2020.  He is actually ranked in the top 150 but up until last week, had two offers (neither of which he felt totally comfortable with).  I started noticing 2 weeks ago, a lot of 2019s committing to big D1 P5 programs.  We had a heart to heart and I told him not to stress and if we waited until the next summer, we did. I fully believe in him and we would wait until it felt like the right school.  He did an event last week and came off the field with messages to call 7 coaches (4 he had no prior contact with but were telling him an offer was coming).  He committed to TCU on Monday.  

A lot of these schools are not close to done. Be realistic, but again, look at the classes for each school, you can tell who is still looking.

TCU...Congrats!!  Your son must be a great ball player...good luck to him!

baseballhs posted:

Congrats!  Saw it on twitter several days back, was waiting for your post to congratulate you and your son.

Congrats and glad you shared your story to educate both players and parents! My son experienced something very similar as a 2018 grad, although he waited until fall of his senior year (during football season) before the right offer with Power 5 school. Best of luck to your son at TCU!

Side note: met the TCU RC (Coach Sarloos) last year...good dude!

Last edited by coachld
Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:

Congrats!  Saw it on twitter several days back, was waiting for your post to congratulate you and your son.

Thank you!  We are happy that part is done.  I guess after spending a lot of time looking at the recruiting classes the last week or so it has also made me feel like we can tell some teammates and friends that they can breathe a little bit.  There are still spots out there at all levels.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.