Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MLB teams would not know at this time in March who they are going to draft, especially rounds 25-27.  During the draft, the person conducting a team's draft might not know who is getting picked in those rounds until 3-5 minutes before that choice is made.

The answer to your question is no, an adviser would not be able to "know" or even "guess" with any accuracy on picks in those rounds.

One other red flag for your information, advisers(don't use the word agent as applied to your 2014) usually are not in contact with players in those rounds, at this point.

Last edited by infielddad

I think what JH and my post attempt to say is this has a massive red flag, and this is not directed at the OP, but rather the source of the information. Unless this adviser/agent is a personal friend, it would be pretty darn rare for them to make a cold call contact with someone to say 25th to 27th round. I think it would also be even more rare for an adviser,at this stage, to have access to national(reliable) scouting information to even know who would be in the top 1,000 potential draftable players.

My hope isn't to burst any balloon, but the information does not seem reliable.

It must be a numbers game at this point. The more potential draftees you have, the better the odds of one or more actually signing and receiving money.

Three kids on our travel team are getting texts, emails from 2 different A/A companys after a recent winter showcase. 2 freshmen and 1 sophomore. It must be getting competitive just like everything else.
Originally Posted by baseballman13:
I think ment more along the lines of that's where he projects at. And I also myself found it a little odd that he heard from an agent, I Always thought guys that weren't top 10 round projects, didn't need one?

There are some drafted outside the first 10 or so rounds who need the very, very best adviser possible.  There are not many of those, though, because they have to be players usually with strong college commitments who might otherwise be picked in rounds 1-5, or so.  In some situations, a team will pick them in the 30th to 40th round and take a run at them with a very large bonus, if the team has that money available with their draft and signings under the new slotting system.

In terms of where a player  might project, after the first 5 rounds and sometimes even before then, it is often far more anguish and disappointment than fulfillment.  Our son, within 48 hours of the draft received reports from scouts that he could be gone by the 10th round, certainly by the end of the first day(19th round at that time) and other input of 30th to 50th round. This information came from scouts who were are the draft headquarters for their teams and had access to information. From years of posting on this site and talking with many in and around baseball, that experience was more the norm than the exception(calls started coming in the 13th round including one from a scout who he had not seen for over one year telling him he would be picked next...he was not.) To be blunt, I doubt there is anyone in baseball who could slot someone in rounds 25-27, at this early date, or on draft day.  My thought process is that adviser opened  questions on his knowledge and experience, just by making a comment of that type.

Originally Posted by J H:

I wish I knew who my team is going to draft in the 25-27 rounds. This advisor is way ahead of us!

EDIT: I wish we knew who we are going to draft in ANY round! 

LOL.

Yeah I just love those guys who must carry around crystal balls in their back pockets! 

My pet peeve is the lessor known advisor/ agent who says he talks regularly to the organizations about his players.

My son has worked with a guy who knows most everyone in this business and he tells son you never really know what they are thinking!

This is how those smaller guys make their money, preying on players who will be later round picks who will buy into their excitement and give up a part of their meager bonus.

Good advisors/agents don't contact players who will be 25-27 round picks. 

I beleave you, I kinda figured he was full of it, i mean he has had probably in the past 11 games this season 9 or 10 scouts there so I deff know hes not a top round draft pick the scout say he will be drafted just not sure what round have no way of knowing at this point, now that I can beleave. Did not not take the agents advice to heart, all though I'd have to say just by doing some research he represents some pretty big names!!! So I really don't no what to think just confused!!
Originally Posted by baseballman13:
And told us that he was going to be drafted in the 25-27 round he is a 2014 draft prospect. Would this agent know something like this, I mean would he have access to that kind of information. Any info would help?

FWIW, he was given answers to this question.

No one knows in march who or where they will be drafted.  To get a better idea of where the player falls in relation to 2014, where does the player fall within the national rankings and then on his state level?  Most of you only see a very small portion of the population that could be considered within your area.  where does the player fall on a national level?

Asking a question than coming back with your own answer seems to be the typical response these days from a lot of new websters.  If one would doubt the answers, why bother asking? 

Because an agent represents some big names has no relation to where or if the player will be drafted (especially out of HS).  Perhaps the advisor is trying to establish a future relationship, that could be possible, why not just go with the flow, it is way too early. A good advisor that sees future potential in a HS player will most likely tell the player to go to college first.

Where did the 2014 sign to go to college? Big baseball program, D2, D3 or a JUCO?

Problem is that scouts show up and the player gets some calls from an agent or two and the parents see $$ signs.

Do your homework, there is plenty here to read as in over the internet about HS players getting drafted out of HS in later rounds.

Doc,

If you can provide better info than given here, than send the parent/player a pm with your advice. 

When my son was a senior an agent from a big firm advised him to go to college first. Projected to be a 6-10 round pick, with a strong college commitment,  an offer from the NY Y (150K signing bonus) he went undrafted and headed to college, three years later he was drafted in the second round, and to this day still has the same agent that advised him in HS.

BTW he was at one time ranked between 50-75 nationally in HS, but that did change as one gets closer to the draft. 

The player needs to work hard on and off of the field and be open to all options if presented. If he trusts this guy, listen to what he has to say, it may be that he is not looking to do anything but advise your son if needed when a choice arises.

That's all you can do at this point.

Thanks for providing better info.

Last edited by TPM
Originally Posted by The Doctor:

It sounds to me that he is not sure and he is just trying to ask questions and learn something. Maybe everyone should gang up on him and run him off, perhaps hang him.

As someone with a 2017, I do learn a lot from these types of posts, so I agree, please try and provide useful information.  There are a lot of use who are just starting the whole high school, collage, draft years and there is a lot to learn.  To those who take the time to share your wisdom; thanks.  I hope I can return the favor someday.

Originally Posted by Go44dad:

It sounds to me that he is not sure and he is just trying to ask questions and learn something. Maybe everyone should gang up on him and run him off, perhaps hang him.

She called the doctor and woke him up.  She said "Doctor! is there nothing I can take?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo

I actually like that song and always have, Have you seen the muppets version? it's awesome!

Originally Posted by Go44dad:

She called the doctor and woke him up.  She said "Doctor! is there nothing I can take?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo

I actually like that song and always have, Have you seen the muppets version? it's awesome!

Great contributions to this topic for sure.  Lots of helpful information on the viability of an adviser/agent projecting a certain player in the 25th to 27th round in the June draft, for sure!

I see you are from Texas.  Here is the PG top 20 in Texas with college commitment listed. I would say there is a very good chance that these players and more from Texas will be drafted, some very early!

I'm confused, it is highly unusual that a high level agent would be interested in someone they think will be drafted in rds 25-28.  Actually I'm confused as why he would even say that.  BTW, if you are getting 9 or 10 scouts at your games, I'm guessing he could get drafted before the 25th round. As confusing as all this is, I wish you the best luck.

This list changes weekly

I'm not sure how this will copy.

In order below... Nationalrank/Staterank/name/ht/wt/b/t/HS/town/st/Collegecommitment/summer team

Tyler KolekRHP 1B6-5230R RShepherdShepherdTXTCUHouston Heat 

Michael KopechRHP SS, 3B6-4190R RMt PleasantMount PleasantTXArizonaDallas Tigers 

Stone GarrettOF6-2195R RGeorge RanchSugar LandTXRiceHouston Banditos 

Turner LarkinsRHP 3B, 1B6-3210R RMartinArlingtonTXTexas A&MDallas Tigers-Vanlandingham 

Justin TwineSS RHP, OF5-10195S RFalls CityHemphillTXTCUHouston Banditos 

Jonathan DucoffSS OF6-1190R RKingwood ParkKingwoodTXBaylorHouston Heat 

Garrett FulenchekRHP SS6-3205R RHoweHoweTXDallas Baptist  

Trey SupakRHP6-5220R RLa GrangeLaGrangeTXHouston  

Michael CantuC 1B, 3B6-4220R RMoodyCorpus ChristiTXTexasTeam Citius 

Jake JarvisRHP OF, 3B, 2B6-0180R RKlein CollinsSpringTXTexas A&MHouston Banditos 

Travis JonesSS 3B6-5190R RAtascocitaHumbleTXTexasColumbia Angels 

Tristan GraySS RHP6-3160L RLawrence E ElkinsMissouri CityTXRiceHouston Kyle Chapman 

Brigham HillRHP MIF5-11175R RNacogdochesNacogdochesTXTexas A&MHouston Banditos 

Khevin BrewerOF 1B6-1215R RWilliam B TravisRichmondTXRiceEvoshield Canes 

Garrett McCainOF LHP6-0185R LWylie EastLavonTXOklahoma StateDallas Tigers 17u 

Ricardo SalinasRHP 1B, OF6-1200R RNorth ShoreHoustonTXRiceBanditos 

Cole BedfordC RHP, OF6-0185R RDeer ParkDeer ParkTXTexas A&MHouston Banditos 

Parker MushinskiLHP 1B, OF6-0210L LArgyleArgyleTXTexas TechDallas Tigers-Vanlandingham 

Patrick MathisOF LHP, 1B6-2200L LVenusVenusTXTexasWaco Storm 

Corbin MartinOF RHP6-3190R RCypress RanchCypressTXTexas A&MBanditos 

Ryan FantLHP6-1160L L TexarkanaTXArkansas  

Ryan HingstRHP6-4188R RFranklinEl PasoTXArizona StateWesr Texas ABA 

Matthew CollinsOF6-1190R RMemorialHoustonTXTexas A&MHouston Banditos 

Last edited by PGStaff

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but it was relatable to my question. Last night my son received a phone call from a number he didn't recognize. So he didn't answer. Shortly after he received a long text from the same number. It ended up being a player representative from a sports representation, management and marketing firm. He basically said that his partner saw my son play in Ft. Myers and wanted to see if we were available for an introductory call. Something similar happened over the summer from a different firm and we kind of blew it off. Are we wrong in just blowing these off? Should we reply thanks, but no thanks right now and to reach back out in 2 years? Do we hear what he has to say? I am definitely not taking any of this serious right now as he is only a sophomore. My guess is they are just getting kids on a list right now and keeping tabs on them and trying to get a foot in the door just in case any develop into high draft prospects.

If you and your son  have the time to listen, it couldn't hurt.  Much like a job interview you will get a feel what to look for in an agent/advisor, they type of questions they will ask, the questions YOU should ask, how the projected market or draft will look like, etc.  My son was in college when he first started to get contacted by agents/advisors.  The first few were from smaller agencies and they were starting out.  Nice guys but new to the game.  By his Jr. year he must have spoken to maybe a dozen agencies, narrowed it down to top 6, then top 3, and around Dec. decided on the one advisor (who later became his agent).  It may take some time to get to know them and see how genuine their interest really is.  Hopefully their personalities and thoughts will go hand in hand since your son may be placing his baseball career into their hands and recommendations.  Enjoy it, it is fun, exciting, and a process where limited players will experience.

I usually took the calls first and then decided if another call with my son was worth it.  I appreciated that most asked me first if it was okay to contact him or to do a conference call. Some of the guys were the wrong fit and I could tell immediately.  I understand it's their job, but one guy waited behind a pillar after the National and jumped out at us as we walked by.  Just gave me a bad impression.  We talked to quite a few on the phone and met with several in person a few times.  He only decided on one late fall of senior year.  Hopefully this will be a long relationship, so it's not a bad idea to take some time and get to know them before making a choice.

During the AC games I evaluated many agents {advisors]. Evicted one advisor out of the ballpark [he tried to sneak in as a parent]. Our entry fee was never "high enough" in my estimate. We averaged $35,000,000 each year in signing bonus to the players.

Remember there is NO written contract. Many agents are very informative of the MLB rules and are former players.

"Good Luck"

Bob

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but it was relatable to my question. Last night my son received a phone call from a number he didn't recognize. So he didn't answer. Shortly after he received a long text from the same number. It ended up being a player representative from a sports representation, management and marketing firm. He basically said that his partner saw my son play in Ft. Myers and wanted to see if we were available for an introductory call. Something similar happened over the summer from a different firm and we kind of blew it off. Are we wrong in just blowing these off? Should we reply thanks, but no thanks right now and to reach back out in 2 years? Do we hear what he has to say? I am definitely not taking any of this serious right now as he is only a sophomore. My guess is they are just getting kids on a list right now and keeping tabs on them and trying to get a foot in the door just in case any develop into high draft prospects.

Before you agree to speak to anyone, do your homework. That will determine whether it will be a worthwhile experience or not.  There are a lot of legit agents out there, and not so legit.

If you have any questions, shoot me a pm. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.