Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You know, it's a crying shame that an area such as Myrtle Beach and the potential to develop a highly rated summer collegiate baseball league would allow this to even happen.

I mean, what a better place can there be to have such a league than this?

For the sake of the game I really hope they get their act together.
Mad Dog,
I believe the one that has had all the Bad press is the one calling themselves the Beach League:

http://www.thebeachleague.org

The other is the Beach Collegiate League:

http://beachcollegiatebaseball.com

Haven't heard much about the second one except it is run by Sean Lomas. There iis not a lot of info on their site.

The Beach League is run by Marty Radford. There is plenty of info on hsbaseballweb, that I would advise anyone to avoid this league like the plague. Very expensive and sounds like many players did not have a good experience.
Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad

This league is turning into a disorganized joke of a program. The player statistics compilation are absolutely horrendous. How can a recruiter get a handle on player output if there is no legitimacy in the stats. You promise kids a chance to showcase their talents and then you keep horribly inaccurate stats.

It's nothing but a profit source for the organizers. Parents you need to look elsewhere for a legitamate summer ball league for your kid.

Game changer is a good system but only if you input the data and do it correctly. I have their premium service and it is very insightful but again you have to have someone putting in the info accurately. I talked to game changer execs. and they are disappointed in the bad rap that they are getting from followers of BCBL but it is out of their hands, the league is responsible for inputing the data. 

BCBL organizers know about this but have done nothing about it. They are disgraceful.

I've been warning people about the Myrtle Beach League for two years now. The whole league is a joke.

Game changer is NOT A GOOD system. Any place that charges for "premium stats" is a waste of time.

I'm beating a dead horse, but not anyone can just run a summer league, and there is really only one company that handles stats right....Pointstreak.

http://summerbaseballinsider.c...insider#.UcysXNKL18E

316 (Andy) I have to agree, why should I pay to check my sons or other players stats. Point streak has a good interface and a lot of info can be garnered form the stats entered.

You are right Tarpon as far as the stats are only as good as the person entering them, but I still do not want to pay. I believe Game changer and Point Streak have two different Business models.

Game changer garners revenue from the Consumers of the stats, parents fans or any one with interest.

Pointstreak garners their revenue through the provider of the stats. It may be part of a website package or a separate package, but the team is paying the price, or advertisers.

This also tells me a lot about the teams, or leagues that use the two sites. Teams that use Game Changer do not want to, or cannot pay for a stats service so they pass the price on to the consumer through Game Changer. Either the league does not have the financial backing to be successful or they just do not care. Leagues that use Pointstreak or other similar services, have the where with all and are interested in providing a good experience to the players in the league.

Can you imagine being a player in this league and wanting to see your stats, to find out you have to pay for a premium game changer account.

I can see using Game changer for a local team where parents are keeping score, but even the iScore apps lets people see a teams stats if they know the team number for free iCast.

I would be wary of teams using Game changer, either they do not have the money or they just do not care, either is not a good sign.

@316Sports, Since you clearly have a lot of experience with College Summer ball I have an observation, and wondering if it is at all accurate.

It seems to me that Leagues that are more successful use the model that the league is not Owned by an individual or Group, but is a set of rules that agreements/scheduling that a group of individual Teams/ owners use to compete under. Teams can join or leave the League and the League remains as long as it has enough owners/teams to compete. Each team develops their own connections and can recruits against other teams in the league and other teams in other leagues. Similar to college conferences.

The other Model, one that the Beach League and some other use, it that the league is owned by one Owner/group and all the teams affiliated with it are not at all separate and cannot leave. Most leagues like this recruit to the league and recruits are assigned to teams. Similar to many rec leagues around the country.

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

@316Sports, Since you clearly have a lot of experience with College Summer ball I have an observation, and wondering if it is at all accurate.

It seems to me that Leagues that are more successful use the model that the league is not Owned by an individual or Group, but is a set of rules that agreements/scheduling that a group of individual Teams/ owners use to compete under. Teams can join or leave the League and the League remains as long as it has enough owners/teams to compete. Each team develops their own connections and can recruits against other teams in the league and other teams in other leagues. Similar to college conferences.

The other Model, one that the Beach League and some other use, it that the league is owned by one Owner/group and all the teams affiliated with it are not at all separate and cannot leave. Most leagues like this recruit to the league and recruits are assigned to teams. Similar to many rec leagues around the country.

Your observations are correct.

I think both models can be successful, but I much prefer the first model over the second.

I understand that budgets are tight, but I just couldn't imagine making fans, parents and players pay to view stats. 

Naturally, I tend to shy away from leagues that use Game changer.

gentlemen my initial post was not meant to tout or trash a stat system. You all have good points on that subject. Rather the point was the deplorable state of that league in Myrtle Beach. To be so disorganized that the scores are not even reported anymore, let alone the stats is a sign that the organizer, Sean Lomas and the guy responsible for stats, John Helsabeck just don't care.....it's just a moneymaking endeavor for them.

If there are parents out there looking for summer leagues for their kids next year please heed this warning; stay clear of this league and these guys. 

Tarpon,I agree with your assessment of the BCBL.  From the onstart they have not lived up to the things they have promised.  Son says there are what appears to be hookers and pimps living on one of the floors in the hotel, the owners of the hotel thru a keg party, wasn't even checking ID's. A mini frig and microwave, NO 2-burner stoves.  At last minute tried to have each player pay an additional 100.00 for breakfast at their hotels which consists of a meager continental breakfast.  Umpires consistently late, my sons coach had his own son on the team as a "player/coach", a Senior that NEVER left the field, this team had 3 of the 7 Seniors in the entire league.  Team promised 12 new team bats, maybe have had 5 or so.

This was not the "bad" summer league everyone harped about from last year, that's the unfortunate thing about it all.

I hate to think but I can almost envision them finding a way to cancel the "pro day".

Would never suggest anyone going here! Its just like any of your local tourneys, if they get games rained out they are quite happy as it adds income to the bottom line, this down there is NOOOOO different !!!

As I suspected, nothing scheduled for  "Pro Day Evaluation for all BCBL players this summer"  this was something that was promised as well they wont be adhering to.  These guys are a joke...rumor flying around he is going to send "collection notices" to people who did not pay $100 for "breakfast" at the hotels which was NEVER in any contract whatsoever. I asked my son if there has been any scouts at his games all summer, he was pretty certain there were none. I guess thats why there wont be a Pro Scout Day. DO NOT ALLOW YOUR SON TO GO HERE NEXT SUMMER.....HE HAS EVEN GOT NEXT YEARS INFO ON THE MAIN SITE ALREADY IN PREPARATION TO POCKET EVEN MORE MONEY!!!

Here is his "important facts" listed for 2014 season....MIND YOU, THE ROOMS ARE NOT FULL KITCHENS....THERE WERE BUT ONE PRO SCOUT AT "PRO DAY"......I have talked to a few college scouts that asked about my son and they couldnt fathom not playing on the weekends....this league needs to in order to get games in......it rained a lot this year and not sure if the weather is like that this time of year or not but playing on turf fields and cant play during rain doesnt cut it.  Tweet for this guy Sean Lomas and you will see PLENTY of disgruntled players....

Important Facts 2014
*Listed Below is what is provided to the players and coaches in the league for 2014*

Players
All players in the BCBL will receive a BCBL Nike Fitted Hat w/ team logo on back
All players must bring their own pants (white and gray)
Players receive two game jerseys, belt, League T Shirt and socks
Make sure you bring turf shoes especially PITCHERS
Scout Day-Pro Scouts & College Coaches Come Out To Look For Prospects in a pro workout

Coaches
Coaches receive game jerseys, belt, BCBL fitted cap, League T Shirt and socks
Coaches must provide their own pants and it's up to them to decide on gray or white
Coaches must bring Practice/Warmup Balls

BCBL
BCBL provides team helmets, coaches helmets, equipment bag
BCBL provides all game balls
BCBL provides 18 team bats per team by East Coast Bat Co.

Housing
Players and Coaches do not need to bring linens, towels, etc.
Bring beach towels
Housing is a few miles from the fields and beach
Laundry and Dryer provided
All rooms will come with a full kitchen

Get this...Sean Lomas goes to the mound during a game takes the ball from the pitcher (not his team) and makes the team forfeit because the player didn't pay $180 ($140 for non-contracted "terrible" continental breakfast and $40 for gym membership) ...on top of that the coach of the team was his GM of the league, needless to say don't think that GM is coming back, lol.

AGAIN.......DONT SEND YOU SON HERE, TURN IT DOWN IF YOUR SON'S COACH RECOMMENDS IT !!!!!!!!!

I now understand your reluctance to speak out during the season, you have a commitment to your team and that is commendable. This director of the league has dug a very deep hole for himself that will take years to climb out of. His reputation is demolished. He truly is pathetic. 

Anyway, good luck to you in the future and choose carefully your affiliations.

I will back up what Tarpon has been saying. I would rather my son sit out the summer over playing in either of the Myrtle Beach League's. They are run by dishonest, corrupt people and do nothing to enhance the kids playing ability.

In short, stay as far away as you can from either of the Myrtle Beach League's.

Also, the legal problems that both of the people involved in these league's are well documented and you know it's a sad league when coaches quit mid season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.