Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Big 12 updated their policy 4 days ago.  I’m not clear on the heart screening aspect. If it’s up to the school or a conference or a NCAA decision? My son just had COVID. He like the other 4 in our family had 2-3 days of feeling  tired/ headache. He had one day of fever. He had to get a blood test and ekg because he had fever with his COVID? Now he is at the mercy of the doctors on when they read the results. They said it could be a day, a week, or longer. Until then, he can’t do anything.  And I assume after 90 days they will push them to get boosted?  Or things could be totally different at that point….F1BC4E29-5FEF-46E2-A57D-5FCE7E444F57

Attachments

Images (1)
  • F1BC4E29-5FEF-46E2-A57D-5FCE7E444F57
@baseballhs posted:

The Big 12 updated their policy 4 days ago.  I’m not clear on the heart screening aspect. If it’s up to the school or a conference or a NCAA decision? My son just had COVID. He like the other 4 in our family had 2-3 days of feeling  tired/ headache. He had one day of fever. He had to get a blood test and ekg because he had fever with his COVID? Now he is at the mercy of the doctors on when they read the results. They said it could be a day, a week, or longer. Until then, he can’t do anything.  And I assume after 90 days they will push them to get boosted?  Or things could be totally different at that point….F1BC4E29-5FEF-46E2-A57D-5FCE7E444F57

Is that a school doctor or your PCP?  My son got his EKG result immediately, bloodwork did take a little longer.

@TerribleBPthrower I think we have a couple board members who are cardiologists, and therefor waaaay more qualified to answer than me.  Our pediatrician has all patients do an EKG (at least) once.  Usually around puberty.  You can have things develop around that time is my understanding.  These are the athletes in the 13-17 year old range that have been super healthy and then just keel over and die, what they are trying to catch.  We have had 4 kids we knew this happened to, one survived thanks to an AED being 100yards away and an amazing PE teacher.  One child was a competitive soccer player (ODP level), collapsed and died while jogging during PE at school in 8th grade. My son was at the neighboring middle school.  Another kid my younger son's age collapsed on the soccer field and passed right there during a soccer tournament with 100's of people watching.  (a friend of mine was the coach and he has a full blown panic attack ever time a player collapses for any reason the trauma from this was so severe for him).  And another child in our district collapsed at a football practice, it wasn't during an especially strenuous activity or during a hot day.  Because of him (and his parent's advocacy) our school district installed AEDs all over campuses (not just gyms) and I attribute one of those devices to saving another girl who collapsed during lacrosse warmups.  

All of these events were pre-covid.  Except my son's EKG.  He gets checked because he trained too hard, collapsed and had some sketchy bloodwork at the ER.  So we keep an extra eye on him.  Daughter has to get one every year because of a medication she takes.  No big deal and it's not a highly expensive test to run. (some of the more in depth test my middle son had to do WERE pretty pricey but that's not what they want your son to do.

Last edited by LousyLefty

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.