Skip to main content

Conference Comparison Report quickly allows interested party to review some Key Performance Indicators for all teams within a conference.

Most KPI's are self-explanatory.

Baseball

• Conference W-L-T
  • Overall W-L-T
  • Head Coach Tenure
    • Number of years coaching , "*"  means pending coaching change.

Team Roster Insights

• Roster Size (Website/EADA)
    • Compares the roster on the team website with the participation size reported to Dept of Education.  Why is this relevant, the team website for specified year might not accurately reflect player roster due to attrition, injuries, etc. (e.g. final 2016 Coastal Carolina website roster size equals 29, whereas they reported 35 to Dept. of Education). 
  • Player Attrition (Overall/Freshman)
    • Compares two consecutive years, (e.g. 2019 report compares 2018 and 2019 rosters).  Overall number of players from 2018 team that are not on 2019 roster
  • Grad Class (Under/Upper)
    • Number of Underclass (Freshman, Sophomore) vs Upperclass (Junior, Senior, Graduates)
  • Residency (In-State/Out-of-State)
    • Number of Students on team for home state vs Out-of-State
  • Transfers (Overall/JUCO)
    • Number of players that have transferred into program (Overall number of players vs number of Junior College Players)
  • Rostered Redshirts (Overall/Freshman)
    • Number of players on the roster that have been redshirted.  Note, there is a time lag with respects to teams identifying players on roster as being redshirted.  Also not all teams included their redshirts on the rosters.  This can lead to misrepresentation of Player Attrition
  • Collegiate Summer League (Overall/Top 10)
  • MLB Player Draft (Overall/Signed)
    • Number of Players Drafted and signed for the specified year.  Why relevant?  Helps understand player attrition due to draft

Financials

• Operating (Game-Day) Expenses Team
    • All expenses an institution incurs attributable to home, away, and neutral-site intercollegiate athletic contests (commonly known as game-day expenses), for (A) Lodging, meals, transportation, uniforms, and equipment for coaches, team members, support staff (including, but not limited to team managers and trainers), and others; and (B) Officials.
  • Total Expenses
    • All expenses attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes appearance guarantees and options, athletically related student aid, contract services, equipment, fundraising activities, operating expenses, promotional activities, recruiting expenses, salaries and benefits, supplies, travel, and any other expenses attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.

General Information

• Tuition In State
  • Tuition Out of State
  • R&B On Campus
  • R&B Off Campus

College Admission Tests

• SAT 25/75
  • ACT 25/75

2019 Season

PAC-12 2019 Conference Comparison Report

2018 Season

PAC-12 2018 Conference Comparison Report

2017 Season

PAC-12 2017 Conference Comparison Report

Attachments

Images (3)
  • PAC-12 2019 Conference Comparison Report
  • PAC-12 2018 Conference Comparison Report
  • PAC-12 2017 Conference Comparison Report
Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good stuff CollegeBaseballInsights.  This appears to take the specific college reported data from the Dept of Education, and makes it more meaningful by combing a lot of data points.  

Feedback....Ten years ago when I was helping my son through this process there was data but it wasn't all in one place, and there was guess work and a lot of networking with others going through the same process.  Honestly, our approach was to put education and baseball into their respective "silos" to better understand each then combine what we knew about each to make an educated guess based on what we learned by visiting campuses and talking to coaches.  We learned a lot about D1, D1 HA, and D3 baseball recruiting and various admissions processes.   There was no extra credit for effort, but persistence did pay off.   I  don't know if your report would have changed much in terms of the final outcome or time invested (my son was on the market for 20 months before finding what he was looking for) but I do think the information would have given us more insights to ask more detailed questions when speaking to coaches, alumni or admissions folks.  

Also, I like that you've reported this by conference.   This had a lot of meaning in our experience as my son received offers from a couple schools in the same conferences (Ivy, Patriot, CAA, A10, NESCAC).  For us, this meant we were looking in the right places and it was a opportunity to reach out to additional schools in the conference as needed.   Remember, coaches only make offers when they have a reason to make an offer.  Recruits need to give coaches a reason.  

Again, good stuff.

fenwaysouth posted:

Good stuff CollegeBaseballInsights.  This appears to take the specific college reported data from the Dept of Education, and makes it more meaningful by combing a lot of data points.  

Feedback....Ten years ago when I was helping my son through this process there was data but it wasn't all in one place, and there was guess work and a lot of networking with others going through the same process.  Honestly, our approach was to put education and baseball into their respective "silos" to better understand each then combine what we knew about each to make an educated guess based on what we learned by visiting campuses and talking to coaches.  We learned a lot about D1, D1 HA, and D3 baseball recruiting and various admissions processes.   There was no extra credit for effort, but persistence did pay off.   I  don't know if your report would have changed much in terms of the final outcome or time invested (my son was on the market for 20 months before finding what he was looking for) but I do think the information would have given us more insights to ask more detailed questions when speaking to coaches, alumni or admissions folks.  

Also, I like that you've reported this by conference.   This had a lot of meaning in our experience as my son received offers from a couple schools in the same conferences (Ivy, Patriot, CAA, A10, NESCAC).  For us, this meant we were looking in the right places and it was a opportunity to reach out to additional schools in the conference as needed.   Remember, coaches only make offers when they have a reason to make an offer.  Recruits need to give coaches a reason.  

Again, good stuff.

Thank you for the feedback.  I had similar challenges while helping my son.   I didn't know about HS Web Baseball, which is invaluable.

Regards

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.