Skip to main content

It appears that there was a take from the NCAA meetings that they will extend the D1 dead period through April 2021. This is devastating to JUCO players as well as HS 2021 Seniors and probably  HS 2022 Juniors. Anyone else have information on the latest.

Last edited by TXdad2019
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What will the impact be on 2023s?  I was looking at some D1 rosters and some of the better players in our state who are going to very good D1 programs aren't listed on the 2021 rosters.  There are a instead many 5th year players. I've seen their twitter posts about staying home and working out and starting in the spring or next fall.  Is everything being pushed a year?  How far will the impact be. This could really impact my son who may not want to gamble on a school that will take 70 players into fall practice and also look at transfers and JuCos.

Any Advice for 2023s?

This will likely leave you unsatisfied as it used to be the same for me, but I’d have a 2023 focus on getting bigger, stronger and faster. I think most parents and players will tell you that they’re always doing that and I used to be one of those people.  I get it. That’s super vague and boring. It doesn’t resonate well or get anyone excited.  That’s because most - until they accept it doesn’t exist - are really just trying to find the magic bullet. As unsexy as it is, getting bigger, stronger and faster are some of the closest things there are to magic bullets.

I used to think 2021 my son was working on getting bigger, faster and stronger.  That is, until about January or so of this year. That’s when I realized what it actually looks and feels like. My son started eating better. His workouts went from 3-4 days a week to 7 days a week - of some kind. “Days off” weren’t days off at all; they were simply lighter days posing as days off. My son’s drive started looking less like hunger as it did obsession. He’s been lifting regularly since early 9th grade (for football and baseball) but it wasn’t until this year that we saw it produce easily visible results.  My son started doing all the things that he previously thought were of little value.  We’re talking baseball, but I’d compare it best to practicing free throws. Few kids can stomach it because it’s boring and as unsexy as basketball gets. But those points at the line often mean the difference between wins and loses; good and great.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.