Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I got clarification from a university official yesterday.  He told me it is basically a procedural announcement and that there are 2 types of waivers.  It isn't worded well for the common person.  I had a similar reaction as you did.  From what i was told, everyone still gets it but the seniors fall under the "extension of eligibility" portion of the release.  Just passing on what I was told...

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, I don't know.  Looking at another document in the replies to that Tweet, it could mean that it is just a change in the way the athletes have to apply for the waivers. I can see an interpretation where the seniors don't have to do anything to be granted the extra term, but that the institutions can apply for the waivers for ALL spring athletes.

I think we need Rick or someone who understands their procedures and language to help clarify the proclamation.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by T_Thomas

An "extension of eligibility waiver" is only needed for athletes who are currently in their 10th semester or 15th quarter of full-time enrollment (the NCAA D2 and D3 version of Division I's "five-year clock").  Also, these are the only athletes who will automatically receive an additional semester beyond their "normal" 10 semester or 15 quarter limit.  

Younger athletes, let's say a current sophomore for this example, will just have this treated as a redshirt season and will still have 3 seasons to play within their 10 semester/15 quarter limit.  

A "season of competition" waiver is the type that will be provided to ANY Division II or III spring sport athlete due to the cancellation of their season because of COVID-19. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.  Giving an underclassman another "season of competition" means nothing at all to them if they don't also extend the 10th semester or 15th quarter period.  It's the same thing as just forcing all the underclassmen to use their "red-shirt" year for this cancelled season.

That's the same as giving them nothing.

And what about the underclassmen who have already used a "red-shirt" year?

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

An "extension of eligibility waiver" is only needed for athletes who are currently in their 10th semester or 15th quarter of full-time enrollment (the NCAA D2 and D3 version of Division I's "five-year clock").  Also, these are the only athletes who will automatically receive an additional semester beyond their "normal" 10 semester or 15 quarter limit.  

Younger athletes, let's say a current sophomore for this example, will just have this treated as a redshirt season and will still have 3 seasons to play within their 10 semester/15 quarter limit.  

A "season of competition" waiver is the type that will be provided to ANY Division II or III spring sport athlete due to the cancellation of their season because of COVID-19. 

Thank you. Scary times. 

Well, NCAA issued a "clarification" on yesterday's confusing Tweet.  They now say that "All spring sport student-athletes will be granted an additional season of eligibility...", but it still says that only seniors will get an extension of their eligibility clock.

In light of Rick's explanation above, this reads to me like they are still limiting the underclassman to the 10 semester timeline.  And if this is the case, it means they're essentially forcing all underclassmen to count 2020 as a "red-shirt" season, and really not giving them anything they didn't already have.  

Am I wrong about this?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
T_Thomas posted:

Well, NCAA issued a "clarification" on yesterday's confusing Tweet.  They now say that "All spring sport student-athletes will be granted an additional season of eligibility...", but it still says that only seniors will get an extension of their eligibility clock.

In light of Rick's explanation above, this reads to me like they are still limiting the underclassman to the 10 semester timeline.  And if this is the case, it means they're essentially forcing all underclassmen to count 2020 as a "red-shirt" season, and really not giving them anything they didn't already have.  

Am I wrong about this?

I think your interpretation is correct 

One could argue that a pandemic is about as random as blowing out your elbow right before the season.  Having them use a redshirt year seems like halfway between “sorry you're out of luck, season over” and giving them a full do-over that would impact rosters for the next five years. The bubble of college players will impact 2020-2024 high school players, who also lost all or part of their seasons (most likely) .

LousyLefty posted:

One could argue that a pandemic is about as random as blowing out your elbow right before the season.  Having them use a redshirt year seems like halfway between “sorry you're out of luck, season over” and giving them a full do-over that would impact rosters for the next five years. The bubble of college players will impact 2020-2024 high school players, who also lost all or part of their seasons (most likely) .

So.... son is a 21 and obviously this whole thing sucks for him. I forsee a lot of RS frosh the next few years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.