Skip to main content

Supreme Court has ruled that NCAA can't ban payments to athletes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...mp.html%3f0p19G=2103

What is your opinion on this? Could that mean that the baseball scholarship limit is falling? Or could this even mean direct payment of student athletes that exceeds a school scholarship?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm really torn on this. I went to FSU in the mid-90's and athletes were getting straight sacks of cash, cars, you name it. Other schools were doing it too. With that though, I still felt a level of amateurism with college sports. Then ESPN turned it into a gazillion dollar business and the payouts just got bigger and bigger and more obvious.

With this ruling I don't see much changing other than big money schools will throw money at every kid and the over-recruiting will get even worse.

Phil Knight.  Schools that have a guy like him hanging around may end up with a competitive advantage.  For a mere $4.5 MM he could fund $50k per player for 90 players on the football team.  Or $100k for each of 45.  Chump change for Nike and a NFL team called the Ducks sporting the Nike logo on everything on national TV every week to pay for it.

It could be an arms race and if you have someone that is in love with a sport they could fund a dynasty by delivering the top prospects every year to the tennis team or golf team assuming those sports even survive.

Other string has similar theme - college sports is about to be turned upside down IMO,

@Dominik85 posted:

Supreme Court has ruled that NCAA can't ban payments to athletes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...mp.html%3f0p19G=2103

What is your opinion on this? Could that mean that the baseball scholarship limit is falling? Or could this even mean direct payment of student athletes that exceeds a school scholarship?

Since baseball is considered a non-revenue sport, most D1 baseball programs are not profitable.  Maybe it will accelerate the implementation of  the new baseball model.

Note, EADA forces non-revenue sports to get an allocation of $$$ based on enrollment.

Tennessee 2020 Expense by Sport

Tennessee_2020_sport-expense

Tennessee 10 year spend

Tennessee_2020_history-trend

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Tennessee_2020_sport-expense
  • Tennessee_2020_history-trend

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.