Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Could be the headache I’m nursing, can someone clarify for me....can coaches “work” camps (headfirst, showball, etc) during a dead period?  Obviously, if they extend dead period through end of June, USA East and West coast championships (which haven’t been canceled yet) would be a no go.  Just trying to make plans on a moving target for a 2022.  I told him I’d figure it out and he just needed to be ready to play ball.  No need to pass my crazy “what if’s” on to him. 

Just so frustrating! Now the dead period has been extended to June 30th 😢 the boys have already lost their HS season and now Summer too?! As a nurse, I HATE COVID 19 but as a baseball mom I hate what it’s taking away so much more.

we have a showcase that has now been moved from mid June to beginning of August. Maybe for the better but my son just wants to get back out on the mound and play!!!! 

meanwhile, he is building muscle and working on his mechanics. We are making videos along the way but it’s just so frustrating!

@meads posted:

Just so frustrating! Now the dead period has been extended to June 30th 😢 the boys have already lost their HS season and now Summer too?! As a nurse, I HATE COVID 19 but as a baseball mom I hate what it’s taking away so much more.

we have a showcase that has now been moved from mid June to beginning of August. Maybe for the better but my son just wants to get back out on the mound and play!!!! 

meanwhile, he is building muscle and working on his mechanics. We are making videos along the way but it’s just so frustrating!

Extremely frustrating.  Truly hoping it doesn't extend past that date or it will really start to impact matters.  Any notion as to why this applies to D3 and not D2? 

Wechson, No athletic money for D3. So while they are recruiting athletes, they aren’t really offering anything other than a chance to keep playing baseball while at school.   Although, many players use baseball as a means to get into a school that may have been a stretch without coach support.  D2 offers scholarships but even fewer than D1.  

@LousyLefty posted:

Wechson, No athletic money for D3. So while they are recruiting athletes, they aren’t really offering anything other than a chance to keep playing baseball while at school.   Although, many players use baseball as a means to get into a school that may have been a stretch without coach support.  D2 offers scholarships but even fewer than D1.  

I was under the impressions D3 was under same dead period restrictions as D1, which is why I was confused about D2.  So D3 is NOT under same restrictions as D1 then?  Meaning coaches can attend showcases, interact w/players, etc? 

@Wechson posted:

I was under the impressions D3 was under same dead period restrictions as D1, which is why I was confused about D2.  So D3 is NOT under same restrictions as D1 then?  Meaning coaches can attend showcases, interact w/players, etc? 

I have read and re reread over the guidelines and D1 is dead period until June 30th whereas D2 is a quiet period unless they already have their letter of intent (??? So confusing) but most showcases have D1-D3 college coaches there, so if you want the most bang for your buck- showcases get moved outside that dead period.

i read on the NCAA page that some D2 and D3 may still have their camps and clinics. But the rules are just so sticky and they bounce around and it varies from state to state and all restrictions must be followed- we are from Kentucky, so the KHSAA has specific guidelines too and my son’s HS coach has been sending out those as well- ie: you can play in Ohio as long as it’s not at a HS or the use of HS equipment....if this was to happen then you could become ineligible for the upcoming season... too many ifs, ands and buts- we don’t want to take any chances, yet my son wants to play. Our summer ball team is run by a  different HS coach (We mostly just play in KY) but occasionally play against some Ohio teams. So he wants to make sure we follow all KHSAA guidelines too but that also limits what scouts may come and watch games. 🤷‍♀️

Technically no, he’s an employee/coach  no matter what. Now, might that happen without anyone saying anything? Possibly. Unless a family member is participating, they would have a tough time selling that if caught because it would appear he’s performing a basic job function. That’s how the NCAA looks at it 

If that were to happen and the coach reported, not only could he be fired, but the program from which he comes from would more than likely be hit with violations, which usually means lose of scholarships.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.