Skip to main content

My brother just came back from the D3 NCAA World Series, he plays for Eastern CT State Univ...

Gave me this situation,

Runner on first (R1), one out, one strike on the batter,pitcher does not come set and deals to the plate, umpires yell BALK, batter bunts ball down first baseline, it is a fair ball, R1 was off on the pitch and is thrown out easily at third...

Umpire Ruling:
Balk was dead ball, R1 gets second, is not out at third, batter comes back to plate with one strike.

I am almost positive that in OBR, this is a delayed dead ball and the result would have been out at third, Batter Runner safe at first...However, my big question is with regard to NCAA ruling on balk, I thought the only one dead immediately was FED.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am no means an expert in OBR rules - in fact I have no idea what OBR stands for and didn't know it existed until I got on this website. If what you put about the runner being out at third is true I cannot see how that would be fair.

If that is true could someone rationalize that for me?

Is a balk a delayed dead ball call anyway? In this situation you are rewarding the defensive team because a play took place instead of the hitter taking the pitch and then enforcing the balk.
OBR is Official Basebal Rules.
This would be the same ruling in OBR. WHat happens is it is a delayed dead ball and if all runners advance one base and the BR makes first sfaely then the balk is nullified. If any of these conditions aren't met then you kill the ball, return the batter and enforce the balk. You can have outs on this play as long as it after the one base requirement. In HS it is imediate dead ball, enforce the balk. The OBR ruling would be true in any OBR based system such as LL, Pony, American Legion, or adult baseball.
OBR: 8.05
PENALTY: The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.
APPROVED RULING: In cases where a pitcher balks and throws wild, either to a base or to home plate, a runner or runners may advance beyond the base to which he is entitled at his own risk.

In OBR, I believe we have a nullified balk. So therefore we have an out at third and Batter on 1st.
quote:
Originally posted by johntaine21:
He was safe at first, no throw, but the umpires had him come back to the plate and put R1, the one thrown out at third back to second.

What I would have ruled is above.

The BR being ssafe would be information that we could have used in the OP. I assumed he was out. With him safe it makes the umpires wrong per my earlier post.
quote:
He was safe at first, no throw, but the umpires had him come back to the plate and put R1, the one thrown out at third back to second.

For the record...I followed this up with, what I would have ruled is "above", I meant that I had a nullified balk, which was in a previous post, what I have quoted here is what the NCAA crew ruled it as...I agree with everyone else but my main point of this is that if this was correct according to NCAA not OBR, anyone know the correct NCAA ruling, I want to say it does not matter, but I'm no expert in NCAA...
OBR/NCAA agree on this point. Seems to be a missed call by this NCAA WS crew.....

been there....done that....these things happen....even the most experienced crews can have a problem like this....usually a championship crew has enough eyes on the ball and differing thoughts to work this out...but in the heat of the play, I guess this one got away....
Last edited by piaa_ump

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.