Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Quoting it:

Of course, that practice [transfer with no-sit penalty] has been standard for a few years now, as college athletes became immediately eligible at their new institutions as a first-time transfer upon the inception of the transfer portal.

The memo continued, and noted the rules for athletes who did not qualify for the one-time transfer exception to become immediately eligible.

“A waiver process remains available for undergraduate student-athletes who do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception; however there have been changes made to the types of requests that will be considered.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

The memo also said that waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status.

Quoting it:

Of course, that practice [transfer with no-sit penalty] has been standard for a few years now, as college athletes became immediately eligible at their new institutions as a first-time transfer upon the inception of the transfer portal.

The memo continued, and noted the rules for athletes who did not qualify for the one-time transfer exception to become immediately eligible.

“A waiver process remains available for undergraduate student-athletes who do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception; however there have been changes made to the types of requests that will be considered.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

The memo also said that waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status.

The last sentence is BIG

CBI-Coaching-Changes

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CBI-Coaching-Changes
@baseballhs posted:

But coaches can come in and have zero requirement to keep guys.  It's lopsided.

Everything is lopsided in favor of the schools over the players. Always has been. The primary purpose of the NCAA is to keep it that way. Now that some things have been done that favor the players, namely NIL and the one time transfer w/ no penalty, a lot of the old guard is losing their sh$t.

@baseballhs posted:

But coaches can come in and have zero requirement to keep guys.  It's lopsided.

Any employer doesn't have to keep you if you are not getting the job done. Neither does the programs AD if the coaches aren't either. It trickles down.

I believe this whole thing has to do with who is better at recruiting and who is better at practice and who can identify which player is right for your program and who isn't. I think that there is a lot of hoarding going on.

Some coaches are better putting together a roster, others not. Not all is equal. This goes for every program in every conference and every division.

JMO

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

Your employer doesn't have to keep you if you are not getting the job done. Neither does the programs AD.

I believe this whole thing has to do with who is better at recruiting and who is better at practice and who can identify which player is right for your program and who isn't. I think that there is a lot of hoarding going on.

Some coaches are better putting together a roster, others not. Not all is equal. This goes for every program in every conference and every division.

JMO

And your employer can't then make you sit out a year....that's how that works in real life.

Last edited by baseballhs

If you are cut is one of the provisions to a second transfer that will probably get approved.  But what percent are we talking?  Less than .05% or less.  How many guys can you name that transferred once and then a new coach came in and cut that player?  That is probably when you need to consider moving down a level of play anyways.

BTW, I've experience the ugly side of baseball twice but my kids are better coaches because of it.  One stuck it out and continued to participate.  The other changed his plans and moved on which was probably a great choice for him.

@PitchingFan posted:

If you are cut is one of the provisions to a second transfer that will probably get approved.  But what percent are we talking?  Less than .05% or less.  How many guys can you name that transferred once and then a new coach came in and cut that player?  That is probably when you need to consider moving down a level of play anyways.

I agree! But unfortunetly many just don't get it.

My son went off to school in 2004. There were players that transfered out and had to sit a year before they could play. I have friends whose sons did the same because they played a few games. Some chose the sexy pick. My BFF son had to sit TWO years,one for transfering and another because he didn't have enough credits for eligibility which he found out later after he transfered. It was like the wild west. BTW he went onto play MLB and an AA pitching coach. He didn't let the BS stand in his way.

I am not sticking up for coaches. I just think most folks don't have a clue why coaches do what they do.

I don't and my guy is a coach!

I am not sure about your tampering comment.  Any coach that does stuff  intentionally that is not in compliance should be gone and the program fined. They did that to Miami a while ago and took away scholarships.

That stands for any sport.

JMO

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.