Skip to main content

Alright, so I've been pitching for like 7 years but this is the first year I've ever gotten a blister (maybe I'm finally throwing hard enough to get one? Who knows). Anyways, It's on the upper right of my middle finger (I'm a righty), and it was a blood blister. I popped it with a needle (about a week ago), thought it went away, but it's resurfacing. The school trainer doesn't really know what to do, other than stop throwing. Anyone out there find anything that works?
NJ Pitch
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NJPitcher06,

My son had several instances in HS of blisters on his fingertip from pitching. The very best treatment we found was Domesboro Solution. You get little packets of powder (or sometimes tablets, but our pharmacy only had the powder) and dissolve it in water. My son soaked the blistered finger in a cup of this solution twice a day (I think 20 to 30 minutes per soak), and it really helped to toughen the skin under and around the blister, and help it to heal more quickly. I think that toughening the skin also helped prevent getting another blister soon after one was healed. My son carefully popped the blister with a sterilized needle before soaking. Some people believe in popping blisters and some don't, but if you waited for the fluid in the blister to be absorbed back into the skin naturally, you would probably be waiting a lot longer. If you do choose to pop a blister (sounds like you already did for this one), it is absolutely essential to keep the area disinfected until completed healed. I believe the Domesboro solution does act as a disinfectant as well as an astringent (drying agent). Good luck!
When you pop the blister, make sure not to put the needle through the skin actually covering the blister. Put the needle through your "good" skin and let the blister drain through that hole. After it's drained, you need to soak it in very warm salty water. Soak it a few times a day. After doing this for a while you should build up a bit of a calous (spelling?). I have a lefty pitcher on my team who this happens to a couple times a year and this method seems to help. Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.