Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure yet.  Amherst is gonna try, and so is Middlebury.  

Amherst is announcing tonight that only kids currently on campus will be allowed to participate in athletics.  Only two of the baseball team's 9 seniors are on campus.  

This kind of feels like the Ivy League decision to allow seniors to play next year as grad students AFTER grad school apps were due.

Last edited by smokeminside

Yes, Amherst seniors could have chosen to live on, but most of them wanted to be able to hang out with each other and they couldn't do that on campus.  They decided to live together in (on?) the Outer Banks.  The only reason the other two are on campus is because they had senior projects that required them to be there.

Amherst is loosening up all sorts of rules in April, including letting chaperoned groups go off campus. Incredibly arbitrary to not allow off campus kids to participate.  The bubble is broken anyway.  Plus the fine print says that off campus jaunts have to stay in state.  So, presumably, they won't allow out of staters to come in contact with teams as well.  That could mean Amherst, Williams, and Tufts can play each other but they can't play Trinity, Hamilton, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby or Wesleyan.  No idea how that six team minimum plays into current geographic restrictions.

So basically, the only schools that are NOT playing some form of baseball are the Ivies, Swathamore, Haverford, and some of the SCIAC.  Anyone else?

Are there places where high schools are not playing at least some games? (although I recognize that a season of 7 games barely counts)

So, why is there a thread about how people have gotten robbed of baseball?

So basically, the only schools that are NOT playing some form of baseball are the Ivies, Swathamore, Haverford, and some of the SCIAC.  Anyone else?

Are there places where high schools are not playing at least some games? (although I recognize that a season of 7 games barely counts)

Really? You're kidding right? My HS son lost his entire Jr year, and the state preemptively cancelled post-season completion beyond a hyper-regional tourney.  He's waited his whole life to play in the State Championship with his cohorts.  In addition, the recruiting process was completely FUBARed and he was fortunate enough to land in a terrific school, but it could have easily gone the other way.  I know plenty of really talented kids who lost seasons and lost their shot at recruitment.  I'm not placing blame on this (clearly a once in a century situation), and I'm not saying many people globally haven't suffered far worse fates.  But let's not be flippant about it either, especially on a board that's clearly made up of die hards.  Our kids have absolutely had something special taken from them, and it's ok to admit it sucks.

Because thousands of kids have - ranging from little league to the minor leagues - all because they were caught in the middle of politics. Please do your gaslighting elsewhere.

Gaslighting . . . wow.  Folks, my son has been impacted as much or more as anyone.  He lost most of last year, and is not playing this year.  I'm completely pissed off about this.  I'm particularly annoyed because it seems to me that, in fact, most schools have, in fact, allowed baseball to happen to this spring.  Or, am I missing something?

Wechson, I'm not at all minimizing the pain of last year.  My son's 2019 HS class had 8 senior starters.  A whole pack of kids were waiting for their turn to finally start in 2020.  They never got that chance.  So I get it.

Here’s a list of all the sports personalities who have died from Covid. Most of them are long past active. What’s missing from the list are active American athletes.

Every death matters. But more American kids died from influenza than Covid in the past year. Schools don’t shut down for the year for influenza.

https://www.outlookindia.com/w...irus-pandemic/349879

Last edited by RJM

Gaslighting . . . wow.  Folks, my son has been impacted as much or more as anyone.  He lost most of last year, and is not playing this year.  I'm completely pissed off about this.  I'm particularly annoyed because it seems to me that, in fact, most schools have, in fact, allowed baseball to happen to this spring.  Or, am I missing something?

Wechson, I'm not at all minimizing the pain of last year.  My son's 2019 HS class had 8 senior starters.  A whole pack of kids were waiting for their turn to finally start in 2020.  They never got that chance.  So I get it.

Dander up, apologies for the curt reply.   The wording of your statement read a little odd.  Yes, we're all somewhere along the frustrated-to-insanely pissed continuum.  If I went to an  IVY or a NESCAC that was not participating while other were, I'd be apoplectic.

Wechson, how would that look, exactly?  I want to make sure people understand how I'm feeling.  

It's doubly exasperating to have two kids not be able to play for entirely DIFFERENT reasons.  One school shut down all sports for the year and the other just decided it is gonna play but not allow anyone, like my  who currently lives off campus (like my son and 6 other seniors) to participate.

Is this the look?

How having an angry face gets you ahead in life: Humans evolved to see a fierce scowl as a sign of strength, say scientists | Daily Mail Online

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by smokeminside

Bowdoin will not be participating in NESCAC's spring sports season. Instead, Bowdoin will look to compete on a limited basis when possible against in-state competition. Below is from an email sent to the students:

"While Bowdoin will not participate in competition outside of Maine, consistent with our campus COVID-19 travel rules, I am happy to tell you that the College will offer the opportunity for some of our fall, winter, and spring varsity teams to compete in state with athletes from schools that have the same testing protocols as Bowdoin—including Bates and Colby—while also meeting health and safety guidelines. Competition schedules have not been finalized but will be provided at a later date."

To the best of my understanding, only seniors can live off campus and still participate. Juniors and sophomores must be living on campus in order to be enrolled in the testing program which would allow them to participate. In November, all freshman, regardless of athletic status, were told they would not be welcomed back to campus in the spring and had to study remotely. But for a few exceptions, no freshman are allowed to be on campus or enrolled in the Covid testing program, even if they were in Brunswick studying remotely across the street from campus.

• Seniors will have the option to live off campus and still be “in residence” at the College (i.e., be able to take any in-person classes, have access to College facilities, and engage safely with students living on campus.) Any senior living off campus and who is “in residence” will also have to abide by a set of expectations and rules, including participating fully in the College’s COVID-19 testing program.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.