Skip to main content

@used2lurk posted:

Already reached out. Son informed coach this am his intent to not return.

He can still request to be entered into the portal from his current school's compliance office. If he were my son, I would talk to @Rick at Informed Athlete about the pros and cons before doing that. In the meantime, he can start contacting juco coaches. Best of luck to him.

Notification_of_Transfer.pdf (ncaa.org)

@nycdad posted:

Is this is the first portal season when schools, if they are offering a scholarship have to guarantee it? If so, how do you think this will affect players that go into the portal?

P5 scholarships have been guaranteed and players still get cut all the time.  As soon as a coach says "You aren't going to play here", most players are going to head out.   I believe the rule is the scholarship is guaranteed until they graduate.  I would think it might benefit older kids who are closer to their degree if it does have any impact. 

@d-mac posted:

P5 scholarships have been guaranteed and players still get cut all the time.  As soon as a coach says "You aren't going to play here", most players are going to head out.   I believe the rule is the scholarship is guaranteed until they graduate.  I would think it might benefit older kids who are closer to their degree if it does have any impact.

Yep, I thought about that. I do think with P5s it's become the norm, and given the competition to play at a P5 there likely isn't a lot of incentive for coaches/programs to change.

I don't think the same will fly at less competitive D1 programs. Obviously it will happen, but I don't think it'll happen as much. Think you're right about older kids.

@nycdad posted:

Is this is the first portal season when schools, if they are offering a scholarship have to guarantee it? If so, how do you think this will affect players that go into the portal?

Technically, I think this was in place for the 12/1-15 window for spring sports, but this is the first end of season window. if anything, it might make a coach slightly more cautious about offering scholarship money to "young" transfers, but I don't think it will change much.

There are so many different types of transfers. Graduate transfers are mostly playing one year, so the guarantee doesn't apply to most of them. Top talent guys are looking to get drafted so they don't need the extra years. unhappy guys (after transferring) are going to leave on their own... so how many kids will get those extra years of scholarship that wouldn't have gotten it anyway without the guarantee?  just speculating.

Technically, I think this was in place for the 12/1-15 window for spring sports, but this is the first end of season window. if anything, it might make a coach slightly more cautious about offering scholarship money to "young" transfers, but I don't think it will change much.

There are so many different types of transfers. Graduate transfers are mostly playing one year, so the guarantee doesn't apply to most of them. Top talent guys are looking to get drafted so they don't need the extra years. unhappy guys (after transferring) are going to leave on their own... so how many kids will get those extra years of scholarship that wouldn't have gotten it anyway without the guarantee?  just speculating.

I agree with everything in the second paragraph. Let me remind everyone that the NCAA exists to promote and protect their member institutions. They do not exist for the betterment of college student athletes. So they are experts at making policy that appears to be favorable to student athletes but actually provides little to no help whatsoever.

@nycdad posted:

Exit meeting went well according to my son. No surprises. For next year they told him they expect him to be a weekend starter or used several times a week out of the pen…

Of course things can change, but for now he’s off to summer ball in mid June and is training remotely with Tread.

Not so lucky on this end.  Money was pulled after being hurt all year now we get to what this portal is all about. 

@d-mac posted:

Not so lucky on this end.  Money was pulled after being hurt all year now we get to what this portal is all about.

From what I understand - the typical portal rules and windows do not apply to your son since his aid was reduced/not renewed.

I believe that puts him at somewhat of an advantage with the normal transfer window closing 7/13 and the draft falling after that. Teams who lose high schoolers to the draft would have surplus money/slots to offer that they cannot offer to the rest of the portal field.

Cole PlowmanWichita State
Tyler HowryWichita State
Tate MoodyWichita State
Jackson YoungWichita State
Samuel McaleerWichita State
Scott NewmanWichita State
Timothy ArguelloWichita State
Carter RostWichita State
Matt BoyerWichita State
Austin WallaceWichita State
Gage WilliamsWichita State
Jace MinerWichita State
Jordan RogersWichita State
Nathan SneadWichita State
Parker DillhoffWichita State
Charles RoganWichita State
Seth StrohWichita State
Charles IngramWichita State
Cooper HarrisWichita State
Brock Rodden*Wichita State
@PitchingFan posted:
Cole PlowmanWichita State
Tyler HowryWichita State
Tate MoodyWichita State
Jackson YoungWichita State
Samuel McaleerWichita State
Scott NewmanWichita State
Timothy ArguelloWichita State
Carter RostWichita State
Matt BoyerWichita State
Austin WallaceWichita State
Gage WilliamsWichita State
Jace MinerWichita State
Jordan RogersWichita State
Nathan SneadWichita State
Parker DillhoffWichita State
Charles RoganWichita State
Seth StrohWichita State
Charles IngramWichita State
Cooper HarrisWichita State
Brock Rodden*Wichita State

A few of these were cut in the fall and spent the spring at Jucos.

I'm guessing there are several that I know that put their name in and are in wait mode to see who gets the job and what opportunities they get.  I don't think it hurts a player in their situation to put their name in the hat.  I would also agree that D1Baseball is an information thing and very rarely does it change when a player goes to juco.  Do a good job with D1 teams but not so good with other level teams.  But they are D1baseball.

The level will determine the number of signees early on.  Those who are still in playoffs will not be in transfer portal.  Kinda gentlemen's agreement or just smart that if you are leaving you don't leave until season is over unless you have already had exit meeting and not on travel roster.  Bad part is now some will be last minute additions due to guys getting drafted and teams needing immediate players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.