Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm currently doing my coaching internship in NY state and I played here in High School as well.

Practices do not officially start until the second week in March, however a lot of teams find places to go in the winter time to work on hitting and fielding. Once practices begin, we are in the gym until early April at the latest. April 5th was actually are first scheduled game this year and we were able to play it. From there on you are usually outside for the rest of the year.

As for talent levels, I really couldn't tell you. I know we played the defending Class A NY State Champions early this season and won 2-1. They turned around and went to Florida for a spring trip and lost to Naples 2-1, who was a defending Florida state champion as well..
Ive been a player and coach in NY. Im 28 now. went to st johns (highest baseball college around here) and when it comes to outdoor months. Comfortably playing from april (late) to mid october. However, alot of times we just deal with the cold. Limit our pitchers and protect their arms. For example: a pitcher in his first or second hs game (reg season) will go about 60 - 80 pitches. Its difficult to get them ready. however like stated previously, we find indoor spots, but its a disadvantage. In comparison to other regions what I notice is that the good players are the same. Same calibur that can do the same things, however, more come out of the warmer climates. It is just a better place to breed talent. More opportunity. But I feel a great player from ny is a great player. same as texas. But youll have 10 from texas. hope i was helpful
quote:
Originally posted by BK_Razorback:
How long is the New York Baseball Season? How many months can you play outdoors comfortably? Do you have may showcases? For those that might know, how do you compare the Northeast talent level to Texas, California or Florida at the High School levels?

Depends on the region in NY. I went to school near Utica, and it could snow in late April/early May during some years. Falls are beautiful. Comfortable weather for ball upstate might be late April to mid-October.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.