Skip to main content

Well son had his last high school game yesterday. Of course like the rest of the teams except for the state champ his high school career ended with a loss. Was it tough to watch him and his other senior friends embracing the coaches and underclass teammates as they left the field, you bet it was ! Maybe even harder knowing that he didn't have a "great" year.

Excuse me if I break the rule and boast a bit though. My son is a catcher. He played this whole year with a torn labrum which will be repaired with surgery next month. You might ask why he played instead of getting it taken care of sooner. It's simple really. It was his senior year. He wanted to be out there with his teammates. He didn't want to let them down. His arm hurt everyday but he did what he could to help his team. The very first game he threw out the first two runners that tried to steal. I thought there is no way he is going to finish the year, especially after he caught my eye in the stands and I could see that it was hurting. He not only finished the yer but he threw out a good % of the runners who tried to steal.

Obviously I am extremely proud of him and I will take my pounding from those here that will get on me. He will have his surgery next month and then start rehabbing. He is moving on to college and hopefully with some hard work he will be able to help his team his freshman year.

Good luck to all who are taking the next step.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by ANT09DAD:
Well son had his last high school game yesterday. Of course like the rest of the teams except for the state champ his high school career ended with a loss. Was it tough to watch him and his other senior friends embracing the coaches and underclass teammates as they left the field, you bet it was ! Maybe even harder knowing that he didn't have a "great" year.

Excuse me if I break the rule and boast a bit though. My son is a catcher. He played this whole year with a torn labrum which will be repaired with surgery next month. You might ask why he played instead of getting it taken care of sooner. It's simple really. It was his senior year. He wanted to be out there with his teammates. He didn't want to let them down. His arm hurt everyday but he did what he could to help his team. The very first game he threw out the first two runners that tried to steal. I thought there is no way he is going to finish the year, especially after he caught my eye in the stands and I could see that it was hurting. He not only finished the yer but he threw out a good % of the runners who tried to steal.

Obviously I am extremely proud of him and I will take my pounding from those here that will get on me. He will have his surgery next month and then start rehabbing. He is moving on to college and hopefully with some hard work he will be able to help his team his freshman year.

Good luck to all who are taking the next step.

What TravelDad has told me about your son, we'd all be proud of your son; irregardless of the quality of his season. He's a winner. Good luck.
Going through the same feelings already expressed by many sr. dads. First, congratulations to all the srs. who have made through any program let alone their own level of achievment. Its a big deal to stay part of program for 4 years. i've seen a few cant miss only to fall by the side for one reason or another. I've also seen contributions to our program from pure desire and determination of freshman b teamers that grew to be varsity starters. That's part of what's made this so fun. When it ends tomorrow, the next or the next day it will be hard. As a father, i'm also nervous knowing we don't have an option for next year lined up yet...and the clock is ticking.
ANT09DAD,

Congrats to your son, he sounds like a tough guy and a team player. My son tore his labrum midway through his HS senior season (RHP, but it was a baserunning injury - shoulder popped out of socket when diving for a base). He also elected to play through the season, because he was a senior. That's a very special year.

Good luck to your son, and remind him not to rush his recovery. Even if he gets to practice with his college team but redshirt freshman year, there is plenty of time for him to contribute after he heals. Tell him it's a marathon, not a sprint. Smile

Best wishes,

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
ANTO9DAD--Best of luck to your son on his surgery. I saw you guys play my sons school (Minooka though he is a freshmen--plays on soph team) one of his summer teams kids is on yours. The father always spoke very highly of your boy and how he was toughing it out with an injury (his was the backup catcher) but he always would say your boy deserved the playing time and though the injury was obviously painful he didn't let it effect his play. Congrats to him and hope he recovers and is playing soon, we always need boys like him on the field that play with passion.
What TravelDad has told me about your son, we'd all be proud of your son; irregardless of the quality of his season. He's a winner. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

He was certainly a major reason for the success of the pitching staff this year. All the senior players would have felt empty without him this year.

I still want to know how he always seems to show up just as dinner is being put out...?

Good luck to him at Aurora University next year as well.
Thank you everybody for the kind words and the best wishes.

We give all the praise to God and trust that He will continue to bless us.

We look forward to my son getting healthy and resuming playing again. I know the knowledge and experience of the coaching staff will make my son a better player.

Traveldad, I think that special trait he has is the only thing he really learned from me Big Grin

Again, thank you to everybody and good luck to all players joing a new team.
ANT09DAD - nobody is going to get on you for sharing that story! It shows what a tough kid your son is. More importantly, it shows how big of heart he has. All the best to him in the future!

BTW, braggers on the hsbbweb are easy to spot. They only care about themselves and letting everyone know how great their kids are. Your post had nothing to do with that type of nonsense and thanks again for sharing it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.