Skip to main content

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, looking for some guidance.

Son is 2020 OF who just did his first showcase (not PG): 6.8 60, 87 OF, and 89 exit velocity. Plays for a good pretty good travel team and led his team in BA in fall, makes lots of great plays in OF.  Excellent student (4.1, 98% PSAT, SAT next month) and we're looking at HA D1s, including ivies. I assume D1 is a reasonable possibility with those measurables (not P5). HA D3s are obviously options, as well.

Question is whether he should be doing now. He's done very little in outreach to college coaches and didn't end up doing the HF or Showball showcases this year.  Little outreach to college coaches thus far.

Does he need to get a showcase done soon (such as the PG Main Event in Fort Meyers in December)?  Does getting his measurables on PG help him with HA schools next year?  Or does it make little difference?  Should he just wait to do the HF/SB showcases in the Spring?

Thanks for any recommendations with this. 

Last edited by Dirtbag30
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi! I have a 2020 as well. This would be a good time to reach out to colleges since he has some measurables and hopefully video. You should have your son send out e-mails to schools that he's interested in. However, I would do that after deciding on the next showcase so he can include that information in the e-mails. If you can make it to Ft. Meyers that may well be worth it. I believe PG is also holding a showcase here in Phoenix in January. Based on my son's experience, I do think that having a PG or PBR profile helps. 

For next summer, I highly recommend a HeadFirst Honor Roll camp. My son attended one in October and it was very well organized and a great opportunity to interact with coaches. I think it's hard to be seen as an outfielder in tournaments (unless his team plays in the Fall Classic)?, so I would plan to attend at least one or two showcase-type events in the summer.

Best of luck!

Agree with the above.  I’m a big fan of camps as well (query this site and you’ll find the opinions are split).  You're a tad late if you haven't started any reach out, as I'm sure many HA D1 have a group of 2020 in their sights.  Because of that, I would come up with a list of target schools, see what winter camps they have coming, have your son email them prior to that, with his baseball/academic stats, etc.  Bottom line, you will need to put in a lot of work to get on their radar before the summer.  Don't just wait for the showcases and hope he gets noticed.

Good luck to you, sounds like you have a well rounded son.

Call up the travel coach and see what he can do in terms of getting you in front of the schools you're interested in. If the coach isn't doing the events necessary or putting your son in a position to get looks from said schools there is no point of playing with them. If you are looking to get recruited, have to play for somebody who will help you get recruited or at least steer you in the right direction. You're paying for travel ball, they should be working for your son in a sense. If you find the right program, you might never have to pay for a camp/showcase. 

You have time. Division 1 schools are definitely not out of the mix yet. There are plenty of schools looking for 2020s, especially HA. Make a list of 10 schools your son wants to play at. See if your coach has connections, email, and find a way to get them to come see you (better chances than the other way around). 

Making a list of potential targets is a good idea. But the list should be forty or fifty. Based on schools interest, or lack of and your first impressions after contact the list will quickly be halved. 

If the coach can’t make contact on your behalf make it yourself. Email the head coach and assistant in charge of recruiting. Express interest in the college and baseball program. Ask what showcases and major tournaments they attend.

Just attending camps and showcases hoping they find you is very limiting. I agree the coach should have credibility and contacts to sell the player. Coaches are typically at events looking at recommended players. Don’t risk being found by accident. 

Thanks for responses.  His travel coach has connections but I think they're more regional than the HA schools that are in mix for him. I've been thinking we need to figure that out, as well, but my son's having a tough time figuring out what's within reach and reasonable. Don't know if it's common for kids his age but I think he's concerned about being shot down. We know as adults that it's "nothing ventured, nothing gained" but that's not the mentality of most 16 yr olds (he's also young for his grade).  And, yes, I'm giving him guidance on this but also think he's got to take ownership of it (and not rely on parents).

To me, the benefit of doing that showcase is that that all the HA schools he could be interested in are apparently within reach with his measurables. Is that correct?  I know it's not exclusively about measurables but I assume that they help narrow the list of recruits and are a good starting point for interest.  So, when he reaches out to coaches and informs them of those measureables, they may be more interested and want to see him play.  Then when he hears from a good travel coach that he can hit and play it may lead to more interest?  If it's a HA school, and they also see good academics, even more interest.  Is that a good way to look at it?

He did little prep for the showcase in question (and he's a young 2020) so I'm confident his measurables will improve, especially the 60.  He's also constantly in the gym so I'm expecting his weight and strength to increase as well, so the velocity numbers should pick up, as well.

Thanks for the info and feedback!!!

Last edited by Dirtbag30
Dirtbag30 posted:

Thanks for responses.  His travel coach has connections but I think they're more regional than the HA schools that are in mix for him. I've been thinking we need to figure that out, as well, but my son's having a tough time figuring out what's within reach and reasonable. 

To me, the benefit of doing that showcase is that that all the HA schools he could be interested in are apparently within reach with his measurables. Is that correct?  I know it's not exclusively about measurables but I assume that they help narrow the list of recruits and are a good starting point for interest.  So, when he reaches out to coaches and informs them of those measureables, they may be more interested and want to see him play.  Then when he hears from a good travel coach that he can hit and play it may lead to more interest?  If it's a HA school, and they also see good academics, even more interest.  Is that a good way to look at it?

I didn't realize you were from Ga when you originally posted so my advice will probably be a little different now. 

As for the measurables. Those are good numbers. Assume they will all increase a little with lifting and general growth. Those numbers (if verified) are well within reach of Ivy League schools and plenty of other HA D1s. So yes you are right, a coach might see the email and be more inclined to give him a look in person. 

Before any showcases or camps I think a good opportunity for your son would be Area Code. I don't know if your son has been invited before, but he doesn't even need to make the team, there will be plenty of coaches there looking at uncommitted 2020s very closely. This also might be a good opportunity for your coach to expand his network a little bit. After going to the tryouts this year I couldn't believe how many travel coaches were there. All talking with the coaches and recruiting coordinators of these schools, basically free advertisement for their players. 

When you are talking HA's, don't forget The Citadel, if your son can handle the military prep life.  They are a great HA in the South that has a great academic following and it is a lifelong fraternity.  Their baseball has been good in the past and Skole had success at ETSU.  But your son must be able to deal with the military prep lifestyle.  You do not have to join the military at the end but you do have to live that lifestyle for 4 years.  Great connections when you put that Citadel ring on your finger.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.