Skip to main content

NIU will be the first area team in action this season as they open up at Arizona State tomorrow. What a way to start the season! Good luck to Bobby Stevens (Guerin Prep/Holy Cross) and Matt Behren (Holy Cross) and the rest of the local NIU guys. From what I am hearing, Stevens might be the starting SS and leadoff man...what a way to start your college career. He is certainly more than capable.

Good luck to Coach Mathey and the Huskies.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Had the chance to coach a couple of the above mentioned players in the past couple yrs. Great kids. Bobby looks great has is even quicker, he will be a good one.

Also worked the NIU camp with their staff a couple weeks ago. Great bunch . Good luck guys...
And good luck to Brandon Copp who will come out of the pen at ASU and get a start at St Mary of California next week.
We'll be rooting for you.
Like your enthusiasm pitchdoc and hope you're right. Leaving shortly for the weekend series and looking forward to 75 & sunny.
There is certainly some talent at NIU. Had a few well-regarded recruiting classes & coaching staff is working hard to build consistent winner. They are very,very young & have had their share of injuries.
Not sure what to expect but ready to watch outdoor baseball!
Ok ASU has a very good rep, no doubt but they are far from the "power house" that people think they are. Most of it is the press. They are loaded with freshman who are unproven in the college game. A lot of the AZ kids have talent but are behind the midwest kids when it comes to fundementals and work ethic. They are a light hitting team that will play lots of "small ball" this year. They got smoked in their opening game by Cal-Northridge 13-2 and it is the first time in 20 years that Cal-Northridge had beaten a "ranked" team. ASU you doesn't have any projected high draft picks or players who were even in the top 10 rounds. The ones who were never made it to ASU campus. I agree with pitchdoc, NIU could win one, maybe two. But the advantage they will have over NIU is that they have been on the field 5-6 days aweek since they hit campus. The lights are on almost every night for them to use. Hope to maybe get out to see a game if I can find the time
All things considered not a bad weekend for NIU. Had a legit chance to win first 2 games.
Pitching was pretty good & lots of young players got experience & held up pretty well.
Deuce, wish you could of been there. Used entire tp roll on Fri. but got their #4 on Sat & Sun including a k on best deuce of his life.
Great weather & baseball atmosphere at ASU.
Looking forward to seeing Viscomi's & 2bmom at Evansville & SIU.
I have no idea where they'll finish in Pac 10 Hawk but I did sit with many of their season-ticket holders behind home plate.
Most felt they were a bit overrated as they lost lots of talent to graduation & draft. Consensus was they are a year or 2 away from being typical ASU powerhouse again.
Who knows - still a good early season test for a northern school though.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.