Skip to main content

Son & I were talking about this today, as he has a couple of friends that the below situation applies to:

Player X is a 2020 grad, has NLI to a national 4 year program. Player X was also projected to go in the 6-10 rounds of the 2020 draft. He wants to pursue baseball as a career, so intent was to go with any solid offer.

Three questions per the above:

1. Would this player (knowledge of him in a vacuum, of course) be better served attempting to go JUCO & hope for the best in a 2021 or 2022 draft?
  2. Is he able to get out of the 4 year NLI and go JUCO without a penalty?
  3. Are 4 year programs more amenable to releasing players from NLIs this year to help with their $ situations?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. It's likely that would be his best bet 

2. Yes 

3. If he's going the juco route he doesn't need to be released from NLI. NCAA NLI just says you can't attend another D1 school without a release.

As far as him leaving, they likely just made cuts. And made those cuts based on the notion that he was coming in at __%. Probably won't be thrilled, but it's one less guy they have to axe post draft. 

@JCG posted:

I have been wondering why the NCAA doesn’t allow freshman and sophomores  to enter the 2021 draft. 

I think doing that would cause incredible uncertainty in their 2021-2022 team. 

A coach can reasonably plan on XX seniors leaving, plus XX juniors going in the draft. But having freshmen, sophomores, juniors, AND incoming c/o 2021 players all in play in the draft would be impossible to plan for.

I'm no expert, and I don't claim to have thought through the ramifications, but we all know that the abbreviated draft and the extra year of eligibility for college players will negatively impact many 2020 HS grads and even 2021 grads. Some  will never see the field or make a roster as a result.   Making underclassmen eligible to be drafted in 2021 and maybe 2022 would help mitigate that situation. If it  makes planning more difficult for college coaches, I think it's a fair trade.

@JCG posted:

I have been wondering why the NCAA doesn’t allow freshman and sophomores  to enter the 2021 draft. 

If the last 2 months have taught me anything about the baseball landscape it is that none of the entities making decisions that affect the players actually give a damn about the players.  

--NCAA makes an eligibility decision that is really a non-decision -- just let coaches figure it out

--MLB changes draft parameters affecting players / coaches at all levels 

Only entity that doesn't get to make a decision that materially impacts their future is the player.  Any player who has graduated HS should be eligible to be drafted every year.  Who cares if it makes planning for the future more difficult on college coaches or MLB front offices.  Welcome to the same game players are subjected to every year.  Major changes with minimum notice.  Do the same thing that you ask a significant percentage of players to do every year -- Deal with it son...

@JCG posted:

I'm no expert, and I don't claim to have thought through the ramifications, but we all know that the abbreviated draft and the extra year of eligibility for college players will negatively impact many 2020 HS grads and even 2021 grads. Some  will never see the field or make a roster as a result.   Making underclassmen eligible to be drafted in 2021 and maybe 2022 would help mitigate that situation. If it  makes planning more difficult for college coaches, I think it's a fair trade.

Coaches responsibility is to field the best team, IMHO they want more stock players vs less. 

From the schools point of view, the baseball player is a customer for school services, the school gets more  $$$ than the put out for said student.

So if you look at it from a Customer Lifetime Value do you think the coach wants fair trade.

Please note, this is a simple high level look at the business of college baseball.

https://www.qualtrics.com/expe...omer-lifetime-value/

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.