Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll add two cents worth....

NW has potential. There are several kids there with a LOT of potential. To me, the issue over the last couple of years is the total lack of teaching. Both seasons I was a part of, you never saw improvement from the majority of the players. The ones that had SKILLS, did fine, many of the others played poorly and never improved. I believe that if they had hit, as a team, over 200, and kept from an average of 10 or so Ks per game, they'd made the playoffs. High school ball has a too diverse talent level on any single team. To me, a coach must be a teacher to get the most from the talent he has.

I can't say that I agreed with the coaching style, but that was his style. We all have to learn to live with that.
quote:
Originally posted by HaltomScout:
I've heard the Head Football Coach has ALOT to say about what goes on there with the players....

That used to be the case, but...

The football coach used to be the A.D. as well, but that has changed. There is a new A.D. and the football coach is just that now.

The new A.D. has already made some positive changes, including baseball and softball field renovations, and stripping all varsity sports head coaches of any other coaching duties except their primary sport, so I wouldn't anticipate there to be any football coach influences in the future.
Last edited by tychco
Here is what they have back...

CF/3 hole hitter...legit D1 prospect
Entire IF except SS
2 of top 3 pitchers that they used in district.

They were in the same district as Southlake, Keller, Keller Central, Colleyville Heritage, Grapevine, Haltom, Richland.

Next 2 years Grapevine, Colleyville Heritage, Keller, Fossil Ridge, Keller Central, Bell, Trinity.

Facilities are great! They have 2 full size baseball fields right next to each other. With the Football coach not being AD, that definitely helps the baseball situation. Lots of growth out there, but one thing to consider, that district is about to open another high school in 1 year so talent will be split up.

They should definitely compete in that district.
quote:
There are several kids there with a LOT of potential. To me, the issue over the last couple of years is the total lack of teaching. Both seasons I was a part of, you never saw improvement from the majority of the players. The ones that had SKILLS, did fine, many of the others played poorly and never improved. I believe that if they had hit, as a team, over 200, and kept from an average of 10 or so Ks per game, they'd made the playoffs. High school ball has a too diverse talent level on any single team. To me, a coach must be a teacher to get the most from the talent he has.

DIDDO...
quote:
Originally posted by HaltomScout:
what I heard about the football coach - he "influences" the players to spend more time with his sport than any others ...

What football coach doesn't? My question is this, how many football/baseball players are there? It has been my experience, coaching at a 5A, that you may have 1 or 2 in the entire program that play football.

Is my experience not the norm or are there more kids playing football at these big schools?

It seems that more and more kids, and schools, are becoming more "sport specific", so if you come in as a "baseballer" then that is what you are and so on and so on.

Tell me if I am crazy!
I have to agree with both txbball14 and Haltom Scout.

I am lucky, the head football coach I work with is great. We have partnered up very well I think. His dad coached baseball in college and even though he did not play, he is still a fan and understands. He comes to all home games and all the in town road games. We share quite a few players at Summit and the kids know that when it is football season the focus is football. When it is basebal season the focus is baseball. It is no coincidence that both sports won District Titles this year.

Now Haltomscout, I have heard the same things as you. I met with that coach the last time that job came open and after 10 minutes I knew it was not the place for me. I think the baseball part of the job would be great. Now that he is not the AD it should help, but there is also alot of truth behind what txbball14 said.

Just like any job, any baseball coach should ask the AD what the arrangements will be when the baseball/football guys are in season (spring time). At the very least, the head coach needs to have his varsity guys with him since they are competing for a playoff spot. If you are not going to get at least that, then I would say that you have some thinking to do.

Just my opinion, but I have been through the interview and hiring process a bunch in my career. I understand that assistants want a head coaching position real bad, but trust me, you won't want to coach with one hand tied behind your back.
The next two years until NW moves back down to 4A will be tough. 5-5A is one of the toughest districts in the state for baseball, and will continue being tough even though they lost Southlake.

The area is growing, and NWISD expects to build multiple High Schools in the next few years. They will become the new school district to move to as growth heads that way and Keller School district becomes built out, over taxed and underperforming academically.

NWISD is a HUGE district in terms of square miles. The kids that go to NWHS may have to drive 20-30 minutes just to get to the school. Makes it hard on parents that work for their kids to play ball. At $4.00 a gallon for gas, it's going to become even harder.
Last edited by KellerDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.