Skip to main content

Hi everybody,

I'm going to attend the Baseball Northwest championships beginning this Thursday, and there are going to be many of my target schools attending. From what I've read on here, it's a good idea to email the schools you're interested in that are going to be at the event. But what do I put in the email? I don't have a recruiting video, but should I still give my 60 time? I don't have a velo from the outfield, so I guess the 60 is the only measurable I have. 

I know that I should make it personable, but I have no idea what to put in it baseball-wise. 

Any suggestions are great! Thanks! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

GG, I'm sort of surprised as long as you've been hangin' around here that you don't have a video put together.  Do you feel like you have reached the point that you have something to show?  What are your immediate strengths?  Put yourself in the coach's seat that you are reaching out to...  you have to tell them something that will make them want to note to take a look.  GPA, HS/travel accomplishments/highlights, 60 time, etc.

You could still put together a few short video clips with your smartphone and email as an attachment or text.  Get in a cage and have someone take some video of some cuts with someone doing front toss.  Have them take shots of three cuts from behind and three from the side.  Get several clip series of three cuts and pick a few good sequences to send.  You could do the same with some OF throws from RF or CF to 3b.  Have someone taking the clips from just behind you and have someone hit fungo's where you field OF ground balls and fly's and make the throw.  The shot should be lined up from behind you to your throwing target base so the coach can see footwork, throwing motion, carry, trajectory, etc.  Just shoot one rep at a time and again, pick a few good reps to attach.  Combine it with other relevant info like " 60 time officially measured by XXX is 6.9.  GPA is 3.75 with 3 AP classes.  Hit .350 and made all-league as a sophomore.  Etc.  Be specific with why you are interested in their school.  If you can't get that put together in time, provide as much relevant info as you can and let them know your team and schedule (if that's the way the event is set up).  Then, just go and play hard, have fun, be yourself and don't try to do more than you are capable of.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by cabbagedad

GG-

Doesn't your profile on Baseball Northwest have this information? Maybe it hasn't been uploaded yet from your most recent PEC, but check to be sure. There should also be videos of your evaluation, even if you didn't pay for the polished version. The coaches should get this information from BBNW for every player, so I would really focus on making the initial contact and letting them know your grades and test scores, if you have them. That is one of the quickest ways a coach will know whether to add you to their list or not. 

Good luck and have fun! 

kandkfunk posted:

GG-

Doesn't your profile on Baseball Northwest have this information? Maybe it hasn't been uploaded yet from your most recent PEC, but check to be sure. There should also be videos of your evaluation, even if you didn't pay for the polished version. The coaches should get this information from BBNW for every player, so I would really focus on making the initial contact and letting them know your grades and test scores, if you have them. That is one of the quickest ways a coach will know whether to add you to their list or not. 

Good luck and have fun! 

Wow, I have no idea why I didn't think of that. I guess that acts pretty much like a Perfect Game profile, right? I'll definitely include the link to that. 

So to CabbageDad and others, I will not include a video, since they are on the BBNW Profile page, but I did give some measurables. 

From some of the recruiting tips, it says that after you send an initial letter, you should call and make sure that they got everything I need. Is that something I should do in this case as well?

In case you couldn't tell, this is my first time reaching out to a college coach. Kinda nerve-racking!

As long as you have a valid reason to reach out, there is no reason to have concern or pause about contacting them again.  Following up to make sure they have the information they need prior to a specific event is a good valid reason... and shows genuine interest on your part.

Gradually developing a dialog/relationship will only make it easier going forward if there is interest on their part, now or later.  Also, if the first one (or ten, or twenty) doesn't have interest, it makes for great practice when you get to the one that does.

Glad Kandkfunk tuned in with some more specific local knowledge!

Last edited by cabbagedad
GoldenGraham34 posted:
kandkfunk posted:

GG-

Good luck and have fun! 

Wow, I have no idea why I didn't think of that. I guess that acts pretty much like a Perfect Game profile, right? I'll definitely include the link to that. 

So to CabbageDad and others, I will not include a video, since they are on the BBNW Profile page, but I did give some measurables. 

From some of the recruiting tips, it says that after you send an initial letter, you should call and make sure that they got everything I need. Is that something I should do in this case as well?

In case you couldn't tell, this is my first time reaching out to a college coach. Kinda nerve-racking!

The coach has something you want, a roster spot. But you may have something he wants, talent. Be polite but confident about your product, you.

Oh shoot one more thing... I emailed the head coach, rather than the recruiting coordinator... From what I've read now, it appears that the recruiting coordinator should be the first one reached out to. Should I email the RC, or should I just follow up with the Head coach who I emailed?

The event doesn't say which members of the coaching staff will be attending.

Alright everybody, just wanting to give a quick update and a few quick questions. 

Our team finished 11th out of 12 teams for the 2018 class. We didn't do that good, but that's alright as our team was a really great group of guys. I did pretty well, I think I got 6 hits over 5 games, and I got named to the All-Tournament team. It was a really great experience for me, as it was crazy to see the culture of college recruiters. All of them just sitting behind the backstop, there were even maybe 30 of them at a 2017 game, just watching. Plus I got my new best 60 - 6.75!

So, again, now what do I do? The schools I'm targeting are D2s and a few D3s, but from what I've heard I shouldn't be reaching out to D3s until next summer since that's when they do their recruiting. My top 2 schools are Northwest Nazarene and Saint Martins, both in the GNAC... when do D2s begin their recruiting? It's to my understanding I should continue to email them to show my interest, but again I just don't know what to tell them. In addition, are their recruiting guidelines/rules different than D1? Can they respond to my emails? 

I used to work near St Martins and think it's a nice, small college in a very comfortable, quiet setting. I hear they are very good in Asian Languages, Religion (obviously), and Engineering (interesting for such a small school). Their coach has recruited the past two seasons at the PNW Regional Games in August in Maple Valley. I watched him work and enjoyed his conversations with a few kids (my son was already committed at that point). To play in the PNW games, you have to be in touch with Arlo Evasick and he'll talk to you about how get seen. His number is on their website.

FWIW, my son played in the PNW regional games the summer before last despite already being committed. He did so because he wanted to play his last travel opportunities before college with the PNW Regional Team. These gentlemen have been very successful pulling together NW travel teams at the Senior, Junior, and Soph age group levels.  

Hey guys, back again for a quick question. I went to a Seattle U camp before the high school tryouts and then emailed them and thanked them for the opportunities at camp. Recruiting coordinator said that he would come out this spring to watch me, and so now that we have our high school season, I figured I should give him that schedule. I know that colleges don't really do much recruiting during the highschool season, but they're just twenty minutes away from my school and so then it seems that there's not as much of a hassle to watch a high school game. 

So, now I just don't know how I should send the schedule... just a link to MaxPreps, or do I put it in an Excel spreadsheet, or something else? BTW I'm making it clear that if it's not best to come out during the highschool season, I'll send him summerball schedule later. 

Thanks!!

FWIW--Coach Cribby at Seattle will make it to HS games to see kids with whom they are already in touch. I've seen him at many games in the past two years. I would cut and paste the whole schedule into your email. It's only 20 games. If you let him know your summer team and attach the schedule to your email, you should be fine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.