Skip to main content

Looking through PGCrosschecker's list of 2010 commits at various D1 schools, I'm noticing something - It seems like this year's class of LHPs doesn't throw very hard. I'm noticing quite a few mid-80s LHPs commit to some very good, even top D1 programs. Obviously, velocity is not everything, especially for LHPs, but this does seem to be bucking the typical trend. A bunch of LHPs with low-80s heat committing to D1s as well. Even on the higher end of the scale, I'm not sure if there's a LHP from this class who throws harder than 91.

Anybody have similar/contrary observations? Is this an unusual year? Or are there almost always a lot more hard-throwing RHPs in a given year? And does anyone know how 2011 looks for LHPs as a whole?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I took a look at the top LHP's in the AAA MiLB for Int'l League(Matt Maloney, Wes Whisler, Ben Jukich, Kei Igawa). All of these guys throw in the upper 80's and barely hit 91. Do we really expect a 17 year old Southpaw to throw that hard?

Or have the leagues come to depend on LHPs as finesse pitchers...relievers that throw on the inside and get batters out regardless of velocity?
Last edited by sandlotmom
Usually I don't like to throw names out there on this message board, but seeing names are being posted and so that one of the best is listed, I will add him... Jimmy Hodgskin (FL) is one of the top HS 2010 LHP we have seen this year in the country. And we have seen all the others mentioned. We do need to see more of Booser, though. The others that "jesse" mentioned, we have seen a lot!

sandlotmom,

It's not rare that a AAA pitcher threw just as hard in high school, or even harder, than they do now. Wes Whisler while a HS pitcher in Indiana is one of those. Sometimes this is a result of learning to transfer from thrower to pitcher.

I never really "expect" a 17 year old to throw that hard, but we have seen many who do. In fact, there's a current 16 year old lefty that we have seen in the mid 90s, consistent 91-94. They're not common, but they do exist.

Regarding high velocity lefties, each year is different it seems. There are always some high velocity RHP's every year, but not so with LHP's. As Jesse mentioned, 2009 was an outstanding year for hard throwing LHPs. FYI, while 90-91 is outstanding velocity, it is not high velocity.

I would expect one of the top lefties in 2010 will step it up a couple mph's this coming spring.
I certainly can't speak beyond my own little area, Sacramento, but the original comment certainly applies here. Among the top 2010 left handers in this region are several who sit 84-87, and one is going to Cal, while another is going to St. Mary's. The hardest throwing left hander I'm aware of locally is a kid who sits 88-90 but has no college offer yet due to some concerns that have little to do with his pitching ability, from what I understand. Last year, the hardest throwing left handers in this region all ended up going to jr. colleges, in several cases due to lack of grades.
There is nothing unusual about low to mid 80's lefties committing to and succeeding at top 30 D1 schools. Most folks would be surprised (at the numbers) if they held a gun at a dozen D1 games over any weekend. The average velocity is probably under 90 almost everywhere....regardless of which side the ball starts from.
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
There is nothing unusual about low to mid 80's lefties committing to and succeeding at top 30 D1 schools. Most folks would be surprised (at the numbers) if they held a gun at a dozen D1 games over any weekend. The average velocity is probably under 90 almost everywhere....regardless of which side the ball starts from.

Would agree with you there Dad. But, your chances of getting an opportunity (if you so desire) at the next level with those numbers are pretty low, regardless of how well you do at the collegiate level. Upper 80's and above will get you some attention.
Last edited by workinghard
quote:
There is nothing unusual about low to mid 80's lefties committing to and succeeding at top 30 D1 schools. Most folks would be surprised (at the numbers) if they held a gun at a dozen D1 games over any weekend. The average velocity is under 90 almost everywhere....regardless of which side th ball starts from.

Totally agree with your take Dad04. I challenge people to go to any game where a college, pro, or top high school prospect is pitching and sit behind the radar guns. My experience with the D1 level is that starting pitchers throw about 88 mph. I am guessing when some people say they throw 90, what they really mean is that they touched 90 on at least one gun on at least one occasion - at least that is how I interpret it. Someone like Steven Strasberg doesn't need as much interpretation however

I have noticed a pretty big spread between starters and relievers. A kid on our team averaged about 89 mph when he started. As a closer he was 93 and above. Similarly, in a limited showcase type of environment where only a few innings are expected, you'll see kids throw their max velocity which is often quite different from what they would be comfortable producing in a game. Kind of like a prize fighter who came out throwing all haymakers, it might be tough to deal with for a round or two but how much would he have left after that? George Foreman knows all too well how that works
quote:
Originally posted by workinghard:
quote:

Would agree with you there Dad. But, your chances of getting an opportunity (if you so desire) at the next level with those numbers are pretty low, regardless of how well you do at the collegiate level. Upper 80's and above will get you some attention.

I agree, also. College players come in all shapes and sizes. The best (most effective) players play, regardless of numbers.

Pro scouting looks for guys who fit profiles, based on past performance of like characteristics. There are exceptions. For pitchers, exceptions are made if there is velocity and some pitchability.
Last edited by Dad04
Living in SoCal I get the chance to see many top pitcher. I have not run across too many hard throwing lefties buy many who could pitch thier butts off. We have a lefty who is 5-9 and 185 who is usually around 86-89. He was scooped up quick for his pitching ability not his velo. At the time he committed he was 84-86. In a game this summer he was sitting at 88-91 for three innings of game but not the norm for him. He did touch 91 at the PG National showcase. Some schools shied away from him due to his size but they told the regret that one now.

http://www.sgvbaseball.com
Jamie Moyer has gotten a lot of outs and won a lot of games throwing 80 mph. Tom Glavine, especially late in his career, did the same at about 83 mph. Heck, even righty Pedro Martinez had a great late season run with the Phillies throwing 84 mph fastballs (but only about 20% of the time).

Yes, lefties are always in demand. Why, I have not yet figured out except for the fact that somehow, they get people out. Whether it is the standard ump giving their tail 6 or 8 inches off the plate or movement or smarts. . . they get people out. I, for one, think the whole thing is psychological--hitters think lefties are tough to hit, umps think that fastball is on the corner even if it is a mile outside, and managers/coaches stupidly instill these ideas in their players. My view--get up there and crush that little bit of trash (now, Randy Johnson is a different story!).

Any man who thinks his kid may one day want to play baseball at the highest levels should never let that kid throw right-handed. To heck with position play and being right-handed for C, SS, 3B, and 3B--throw lefty, pitch, and play 1B or outfield.
Our entire family is right handed. When 4th son started little league at 6 yo we naturally gave him a right handed "hand me down" glove. He was taught to eat and write right handed. All seemed well. Son was athletic enough but seem awkward hitting and throwing. Oh well, not everyone is a Jeter. Son's coach thought he should try left handed. He must of seen something the rest of us had missed. So we gave it a try. Not much improvement, but we stuck with it. He became one of the hardest pitchers in the league and continued to develop in travel ball. A little wild but with lots of gas and a nasty hook. This last fall our little converted lefty took the hill for Team USA 14u in Ecuador for the gold medal game. Wow, what a ride from that little T-ball field now called Pedroia Field. Yes, leftys do have an advantage when it comes to how the ball leaves their hand begins to run away from a right handed hitter. It seems to be more natural for a fastball to run hard from a lefty than a righty. It also makes it harder to throw strikes when they are younger. Harder to control. At least for mine. Thankfully he made it through those years of strike one, strike two, backstop then HPB. Oh well, that's baseball.
Hitters tend to hit best against what they see the most often. That would be RHPs.

Among the other things often talked about, breaking ball advantages. All hitters, right or left, simply see more RHPs. This becomes an advantage to the LHP.

It is my theory that if there were an exact equal number of left and right hand hitters and pitchers. There would be no advantage either way, other than when hitter is opposite hand or pitcher is same hand.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.