Skip to main content

I’m a 14 year old who is going to be trying out for my schools team this March. How often should I be getting in batting practice and how many swings should I aim to take each session? I’m currently getting around 300 swings a week. I also try to incorporate some time each week to conditioning and strength training. Any tips for my routine would be appreciated.
thank you,

Nick Asmar

Nicholas Asmar

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey, as a 13 yr old here, I also do some of the same things you do. For speed and agility drills, try to get an agility ladder(pretty cheap) and try some variations to work on your footwork. As far as speed drills not being done outside, try plyometrics(can be done indoors in a larger space like garage) and sprints if you can get to an indoor facility. Stay away from distance running, doesn't help for baseball and also slows you down since you get used to training slow. If you have social media, try @adonis.harrison on Instagram. He posts lots of great pylometric exercises and exercises to get faster. Some of the things he focuses on is lateral quickness and first step explosion which are both great for getting to a ball and stealing a base. PM me if you have any more questions and good luck!

Hey, as a 13 yr old here, I also do some of the same things you do. For speed and agility drills, try to get an agility ladder(pretty cheap) and try some variations to work on your footwork. As far as speed drills not being done outside, try plyometrics(can be done indoors in a larger space like garage) and sprints if you can get to an indoor facility. Stay away from distance running, doesn't help for baseball and also slows you down since you get used to training slow. If you have social media, try @adonis.harrison on Instagram. He posts lots of great pylometric exercises and exercises to get faster. Some of the things he focuses on is lateral quickness and first step explosion which are both great for getting to a ball and stealing a base. PM me if you have any more questions and good luck!

Thank you. I’ll look into the agility ladder and start doing some sprints.

Dang... I've got a 2025 and he doesn't write like you do.   Kudos!  Keep working hard.  Sounds like you've got a goal and plan. 

do you have a walk/driveway that needs shoveling? full disclosure, i'm from Hawaii and live in California so I don't know much about snow but I've thrown my share of dirt around and I know that's a heck of a workout.  can you incorporate shoveling every other day (or every day if it needs it)? you get some upperbody work, posterior chain work, core/twisting work, aerobic activity, etc.  

@mattys posted:

do you have a walk/driveway that needs shoveling? full disclosure, i'm from Hawaii and live in California so I don't know much about snow but I've thrown my share of dirt around and I know that's a heck of a workout.  can you incorporate shoveling every other day (or every day if it needs it)? you get some upperbody work, posterior chain work, core/twisting work, aerobic activity, etc.  

I’ve actually thought of that and will try to do some. Really is a good workout.

Lots of great advice here, body weight plyometrics are great ways to develop strength and power. Weight training is another option but I would not advise it unless you are supervised for proper technique and that may be hard at home. Please do not neglect the hitting and throwing prep. Remember if you can throw gas or mash, they will find room for you on the team. Lastly one of the old timers made a great statement about team practices...it is not to make you better, it is an opportunity for you to show your coaches how much better you got.

Last edited by 2022NYC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.