Skip to main content

I am a 2009 OF. I just got a 75% offer from a school that was in My top three. The school is a small private D1. I really liked the atmosphere on the campus when I toured it. I told the coach that I would think about the offer and get back with him. I am torn between giving him a verbal or waiting a little longer. I really don't know what to do.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's a big decission and really should be thought out completely. How is the fit for you? Did you do a spread sheet comparing the 3 schools and what input has your family given you? I will say that 75% sounds good but you need to find out if it is 75% of total cost of attendance, if it is then that is pretty strong offer.
If you really don't know what to do, then you're not ready to commit.

That is a very high offer, suggesting you are a pitcher viewed as a future weekend starter by the coaches there. There is a lot to be said for being wanted. But ultimately you have to be happy with your choice, and if you are good enough to get this offer, in all likelihood there will be other offers (if you pursue them).

I would suggest you start thinking hard, and talking with your parents, about what you really want out of your college experience. Then think about whether this offer presents you with what you want -- or doesn't.

You need to be sure, because with the new transfer penalty rule, it's not going to be easy to fix a mistake down the road.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Talking here won't make it work--none of us know your circumstances--- you need to sit down with your parents and hash it out---it has to be your decision interms is it the right place for you for the next 4/5 years

Good Luck

I agree with the above statment.

IMO, it's always a good idea to look back at previous posts for reference when giving advice.

mattm,
You stated that you received your first recruiting letter from a D1 that did not include a camp brochure. You have also stated that you suffered a hamstring injury and not sure whether you should attend a PG event in late December. You are a position player, I am assuming. So not sure what has transpired between time of your injury, your first recruiting letter and now the 75% verbal offer. You have left a lot out.

You also stated above that you liked the school atmosphere but not one thing about the baseball program.

Regardless of any offer, how much and when it comes, if you have doubts than possibly now is not the time to decide what to do.

Your situation is a perfect example of why I do not like the very early offer.

Good luck.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
by matt: I just got a 75% offer from a school that was in My top three. The school is a small private D1. I really liked the atmosphere on the campus when I toured it. I told the coach that I would think about the offer and get back with him. I am torn between giving him a verbal or waiting a little longer. I really don't know what to do.
first off ... congrats! Smile

a few q's

how are the chicks??

what's going on with #'s 1 & 2??

do academics fit??

why are you torn?? (I'd hate being torn, it seems so painfull Frown)

is it all about the money??

what do your parents think??

how is the weather??

keep in mind that many, many "just plain students" can't make a school in their top 5 happen ..

AND it IS normal to have some reservations when making any big descision ..
welcome to the real world Smile

and good luck

btw - fin-aid seems to be gladly throwing $$ your way ...
AND an athletic verbal to a DIII is as good as the paper it is written on
Last edited by Bee>
Conceivably, prospects could receive offers as freshman. Offers can come anytime. The only restrictions are on the school contacting a prospect by mail (can begin Sept. 1 of junior year) and by phone (can begin July 1 after junior year). Schools can email prospects whenever and ask them to call or email them back. They can also call the prospect's coach and ask him to have the prospect call the school. If a prospect calls, the school can offer him a scholarship on the phone. If the prospect makes an unofficial visit to the school, the school can offer him a scholly at that point.

This is occurring mainly with the blue-chip prospects only.
Last edited by Infield08
quote:
by bbluv: I did not realize 2009 players could receive offers at this point...could someone clarify this for me please
fyi .. this offer was from the "fin aid" office ... there is no bb $$ in DIII ... they love great students

DIII baseball coaches love good students who can play ball too

quote:
Btw, my son's future college has 65% "chicks."
65%?? which part of her is missing Eek

or did you mean many are blondes??
Last edited by Bee>
First off, thanks to everyone here at the HSBBWeb. I have really learned a lot from everyone here. This site has been a great resource for me. I was excited about the offer yesterday and needed to share with someone besides my parents.

The school is a D1, the offer was after a skills camp at their place. It is for 75% of the total cost of attendance. I loved the school, they have the academic program that I am interested in. The school has a great academic reputation. The baseball program is new to D1 and building there program up. They are building new facilites at the end of this season. They play a very competitve schedule. I liked the coaches as well.

The 75% blew me away because I know that that amount is usually only for pitchers. My parents liked the school and coaches as well. They said the amount of the offer showed that the coaching staff was really committed to me. They told me that I should not let that be the only reason to go there. They have basically told me that they would make the money work wherever I decided I wanted to go. My father also suggested that I talk to the coaches at the other schools in my top three and tell them about the offer and ask them about there level of interest. Should I do that?

Anyway, Thanks again to everyone for sharing there knowledge here. It has certainly helpe me.
quote:
My father also suggested that I talk to the coaches at the other schools in my top three and tell them about the offer and ask them about there level of interest. Should I do that?

Personally, I would do just that if I were you. 75% for an OF is an AMAZING offer! That's a very unusual offer and something that you should fully explore before saying yes or no. By talking with the other schools, you would at least get a feel for the amount of interest that is there across the board. It's not unusual for a program that's just starting up to try and build their program around a couple or so very strong players - a core of sorts. It sounds like this particular DI has a lot confidence in you and that could provide an opportunity for you like no other school. There's a lot to consider and for an '09, time is on your side. Good luck! Smile
Last edited by lafmom
quote:
Question if you tore your knee and your career was over would you wish to stay at that instituion?
how is that question even relevant?

if a sports career ends, the student is not bound to that university ...
he could transfer anywhere else at the drop of a hat for any number of good or bad reasons (chicks .. weather .. BCS standing .. etc)

it happens every day
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by RYNO:
Question if you tore your knee and your career was over would you wish to stay at that instituion?

Funny how this question is always thrown out there when in reality many players will sign to whatever school takes them for baseball. If it was just for academics I am sure that over 90% of players would stay in their own local community for college. RYNO based on all your postings it seems that you would play in Alaska if given the opportunity when in reality you can get a great education at UF or FSU minus the baseball.
quote:
in reality many players will sign to whatever school takes them for baseball.

And, there ain't a thang wrong with that.

My son has three years of college BEHIND him and a very high possibility that he will actually finish school someday.

He would not likely be in that position but for baseball.

When a school offers 75% and the norm maybe starting to gravitate towards 25%, that indicates high interest in a player, particularly for and OF (must be a slugger).

Take the money and run.
Last edited by FormerObserver
Matt, I would qualify lafmom's advice a bit.

First, among your top three, sit down and work through all the pro's and con's of each, then rank them.

If the offer you have is from # 1, then the only question is whether you might still get more if you wait and negotiate. That is a touchy subject in itself, maybe for a different thread. But you should consider whether the 75% might well be a first offer in a negotiation and could well go up, given time. This is something you can learn from talking to other players at that program -- do the coaches negotiate, or are they more out of the "my way or the highway" mold?

If the offer you have is from # 3, then it is OK to let the other schools know you have an offer, but I would shy away from revealing the terms. Let the other schools know that ("confidentially") you would really prefer to go to their school. Your inquiry is not to try to draw them into a bidding war, but to ask candidly if they see you as a recruit or if they would advise that you take the offer you have. This basically invites them to let you down gently in a situation where they know that doing so is really in your best interests. On the other hand, it might get them moving if they really want you.

I say this because you will find that many baseball people have very touchy nerves, and if the coaches at nos. 1 & 2 are like that, you could very well find that they are turned off if they think you're trying to get them into a bidding war, or if you're just trying to use them to get # 3 to up its offer.

At the same time, you have to be careful what you say and to whom you say it, because you will be surprised to learn that the coaches at nos. 1, 2 and 3 are probably all talking to each other, and nos. 1 & 2, if they are following you, probably already know you have your offer. The only safe thing is to assume that anything you say to anyone is going to get back to the person you wish wouldn't hear it.

A few final thoughts:

If the offer is from the school you rank # 2, then you can focus on just them and # 1, and save yourself the stress of adding # 3 to the mix.

The one good thing about the limits on communications at this stage for you is that since e-mail is the preferred medium, you can write out your note in advance, proofread it a hundred times, ask your parents if it has anything in it that might unintentionally give offense, etc., before you hit that "send" button. I really recommend that last point, because you'd be surprised how many things you can say in e-mail to your HS buddies without their taking offense, but those same kinds of things will land with a thud on an adult coach's desk.
IMO, you guys all are making this too complicated.

It doesn't matter if the offer came from school choice, 1,2 or 3. mattm is an 09 who has gotten an offer from a school that is interested in him, at this time in the recruiting timeline, the other schools most likely have or have not shown an interest but may or may not later on. They may not be interested now, he has his whole spring and next summer to spark that interest and let them know he is interested in their program.
Calling or emailing a school now that has shown little or no interest is only going to give you one answer we will watch you, and they most likely couldn't care less what he was offered now. Coaches do not like to be backed up against the wall, nor so they like feeling that you are playing the more money game with them. They may do it if you are considered a top HS prospect. Obviously being in a building stage they have more money AT this time to offer.

mattm, if it doesn't feel right then don't worry, you have plenty of time. If it has everything you are looking for, including academics, that's important, only you can decide. IMO.

Remember it is only an offer, be up front and honest that you are not ready to committ. You will not sign you NLI until next November.

If you are ready, then go ahead, if not don't. JMO.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
IMO, you guys all are making this too complicated.

It doesn't matter if the offer came from school choice, 1,2 or 3. mattm is an 09 who has gotten an offer from a school that is interested in him, at this time in the recruiting timeline, the other schools most likely have or have not shown an interest but may or may not later on. They may not be interested now, he has his whole spring and next summer to spark that interest and let them know he is interested in their program.
Calling or emailing a school now that has shown little or no interest is only going to give you one answer we will watch you, and they most likely couldn't care less what he was offered now. Coaches do not like to be backed up against the wall, nor so they like feeling that you are playing the more money game with them. They may do it if you are considered a top HS prospect. Obviously being in a building stage they have more money AT this time to offer.

mattm, if it doesn't feel right then don't worry, you have plenty of time. If it has everything you are looking for, including academics, that's important, only you can decide. IMO.

Remember it is only an offer, be up front and honest that you are not ready to committ. You will not sign you NLI until next November.

If you are ready, then go ahead, if not don't. JMO.

I just have one question, I may of missed it, if it's already been asked, but since you're and 09 did the Coach give you a deadline to accepting that offer or no? If he hasn't take your time evaluating the situation. Clearly they are interested in you and shouldn't have a problem waiting for you to decide.
The landscape has changed and since the transfer rules are what they are it is important to look at the what if that may present itself. FIT-FIT-FIT as far as my son playing in Alaska, we have sought out information about schools who have had contact with our son to way all the factors that go into making the best decission for our son. And I IMO feel that this is as important with our son as it should be for others. 99.9999% of all student athletes will be entering a profession other than as a major league athlete. Whether they attend a large university or a junior college the experience will and should be rewarding. If your only goal is to play and your athletic ability dictates that you are one of the few with the potential to play in the majors than you should go the path that best fits that goal. However it is importanat to take a look in the mirror and really evaluate your potential and than ask the question, what if, what if it doesn't work out what is my fall back plans and that needs to be an education decission that can potentially direct you in the right direction. So you don't squander a great and expensive opportunity. That is why I asked the question. It is an important decission and even with all the planning and evaluating that should be put into it many still get it wrong.
Last edited by RYNO
matt - In the future, perhaps consider not posting details of any offer you might receive. Instead of saying 75%, you might want to say I received a generous offer for example. The only reason I say that is after you hang around the site long enough, at least your college will become known and likely your identity. That type of information could hamper your coach's ability to recruit other quality athletes that perhaps may not be offered as much. I am an old schooler about posting personal information like this so my advice could be wrong. I can see more opportunties to cause problems without providing much benefit. Congrats on receiving the offer.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
matt - In the future, perhaps consider not posting details of any offer you might receive. Instead of saying 75%, you might want to say I received a generous offer for example. The only reason I say that is after you hang around the site long enough, at least your college will become known and likely your identity. That type of information could hamper your coach's ability to recruit other quality athletes that perhaps may not be offered as much. I am an old schooler about posting personal information like this so my advice could be wrong. I can see more opportunties to cause problems without providing much benefit. Congrats on receiving the offer.

That's some very, very good advice.
An offer of that size indicates that matt is regarded as a stud player. If he takes that offer for granted and lets it lay on the table for months, it can be pulled, especially if the coaches get the impression he is shopping around, may never commit, and that their next choice might get away if they don't act to put their money to work for them.

Like it or not, these things are happening earlier on in the process than before, and no one player can hold back that tide. Matt needs to deal with the reality he has in front of him. While I would be suspicious of any program that gave him an unreasonably short deadline, clearly the ball is in his court to get his homework done and to "fish or cut bait" within a reasonable time frame.

Taking the offer for granted is a great way to see it get pulled back. And if in the end this would've been Matt's first choice and/or best option, that would be a very bad thing to let happen.

I do think Matt could e-mail the coaches with the following thoughts:

1. I really appreciate your offer and the interest in me that you've shown.

2. I am very interested in your school and your program.

3. I was surprised to get such a great offer so early, and to be honest, I don't know if I was ready for it.

4. I am going to step up the pace on "doing my homework", but I feel I am going to need some more time to make sure I've made the right decision.

5. Can you let me know when you would need a decision from me? Or, if you get to a point where you will need a decision, would you please let me know?
quote:
Originally posted by mattm:
I was excited about the offer yesterday and needed to share with someone besides my parents.

The school is a D1, the offer was after a skills camp at their place. It is for 75% of the total cost of attendance. I loved the school, they have the academic program that I am interested in.

mattm,

First congratulations on what sounds like a great offer. The only thing I will add is take your time in your decision and if possible visit your other top 2 schools if you get a chance.

If you are anything like my son he thought almost every school was the best while he was on his unofficial visits. (until he visited the next school and found he loved that school just as much if not more Smile)

You've got time before you will probably get any pressure to make a commitment, I suggest you use it.
Last edited by jerseydad
A player should never commit if he is unsure of what he wants to do, regardless of how large or small the offer is. And a player should never commit because he is afraid that he won't be given time to wait ornot have another opportunity given to him.

A player has the option of thanking the coaches and telling them he is very interested but not ready to commit. The coaches know a recruit is gonna shop around, so are they, that's the chance you take. If a coach is really interested in what a recruit has to offer and realizes it may be too soon he'll allow him the opportunity to wait until the spring or fall.

There are at least a half dozen parents of players on this site that were offered early but decided to wait until they were ready. Things worked out well. There are many other parents of players here who have not committed until the spring or summer before college begins and it worked out well for them.

Like I've sad before, never commit out of fear, or because you think everyone else is doing it, or unless you have done your homework. It will be a mistake one will regret.
Last edited by TPM
One of your top 3 schools.

75% scholly (to a non-pitcher!).

That is a nice position to be in.

Really, what it comes down to is self assessment. What are you looking for? 80+% from one of the other two schools?

Many players don't get offer from top three school, as defined by top three in junior year. I know for my son, the top three became a very fluid list. Mostly because of him having a down year, and schools having players at the same position step up, thus reducing the need for him.

I wonder what how it would have played out had he verballed his junior year. Would the school have pulled the offer, after he had told other coaches he already verballed. I'm not sure how it would have played out.

That being said, I know he would have verballed to a top three for that kind of offer. I hate to think at such a young age, it becomes about the money.

Top 3 + 75% = thank you.
Last edited by cheeseattheknees
Given that it is December and the next signing period is not until April, isn't any promise made now by a prospective player an uncertain thing for the offering college? So the reality of it (if I have my facts straight) is that until the next signing date, the student athlete could tell the school he is really serious and he could be just stringing them out? Sort of the same thing that the football kids do every year.
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
A player should never commit if he is unsure of what he wants to do, regardless of how large or small the offer is.

I'm not sure that the abo****es used here are really very good advice for everyone. I have seen a great many people that have reservations about every decision they make in life. If they waited until the unsureness passed, they'd never make a decision.

Each person is an individual and because of that their level of asuredness varies. Sometimes you just have to go for it, even when you don't know what the right answer is.

JMHO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.