Skip to main content

Son got contacted out of the blue by Ohio University.  They are coming out our way for a showcase in our neighborhood.  They wrote to him to tell him that they are very interested in him, but understood that the trek to Ohio would be a long one for him, but they would like to meet him and  possibly see him play at said showcase.   Not a school that had been on our radar before now.   Anybody know anything about the program?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

New coach a year or two ago. Don't know a whole lot about him.  The program has struggled for quite a few years.....including  11-40 last year.  We saw their HC a lot this summer in big events around OH, MI & IN, but haven't heard a whole lot about their 2015 commits.  My son played 17U for an organization that has 26 kids committed in the class of 2015....to schools including Louisville, Virginia, Ohio State, Vandy, Kentucky and all the MAC schools.  As far as I know, OU only offered a few of those kids...which seems strange considering their 10-40 record last year.  Beautiful campus, one of the nicest you'll find....though it's in a fairly small college town...1.5 to 2 hours from anywhere....lol.  

I know someone who was a grad assistant there last year. He has moved on to a position at another school, since he graduated. 

Their is a reasonably new coach, I think last spring was his second year. He was the recruiting co-coordinator at Creighton before taking the Ohio job. His first Summer their he kept as many kids on campus as he could so they could get bigger stronger and faster. He did not send any of his kids to summer ball. I believe that has changed now, that he has implemented the off season programs that he wants. 

He has done a good job of making the team better defensively, They have cut down on errors in the field by quite a bit. I still believe he needs more Offense. 

Coming from Creighton he understands the importance of academics, and stresses it to his players.

Way back when I knew several players who went to OU, way back when, but I do not known any body who has played there recently. 

When my son played in the Great Lakes league, he played at Bob Wren stadium. It is a great place to play. probably one of teh better fields in the GLSBL. The team has some pretty close ties with the Southern Ohio Copperheads that make bob Wren their summer home. 

Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad
Originally Posted by BBALLFAN2012:

From when my son was in high school - we frequently received communication from Ohio.  OFTEN....  Any way to tell if it is REALLY for your son - or are you just in their database?  One way to tell - is contact the coach and ask where they saw your son - that prompted the invite.

Good question. Always relevant, I find.  

Son did write back to the coach -- who is the RC --  but no response yet.  But in fairness, he wrote just  last night. The coach  did give the kid his personal cell number and urged him to call if he wanted to discuss OU further.   Do you think it would be worth it to give him a call and see what's really up?  Son seems reluctant to do that.

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

Son got contacted out of the blue by Ohio University.  They are coming out our way for a showcase in our neighborhood.  They wrote to him to tell him that they are very interested in him, but understood that the trek to Ohio would be a long one for him, but they would like to meet him and  possibly see him play at said showcase.   Not a school that had been on our radar before now.   Anybody know anything about the program?

Sluggerdad,

Don't waste your time or money. Every year they send out of these letters to players in Southern California.My son received the same letter 3 years in a row.The only difference was the dates.A coach from Ohio U and a couple of directional school coaches host a "christmas showcase" at Northwoods High School in Orange County.Basically, It's a fundraiser for the coaches ! Christmas in SoCal !

Look at the roster of University of Ohio.How many SoCal or NoCal players do you see ? The answer is zero. Go back in time and the answer is still zero.

Off the top of my head here are midwest D1 schools that actively recruit San Diego/Orange County players:Indiana,Purdue,Michigan,Kent State,Nebraska,Valparaiso.Coaches from these schools(and more) are always in SoCal during the fall.

Originally Posted by bobbyaguho:

Sluggerdad,

Don't waste your time or money. Every year they send out of these letters to players in Southern California.My son received the same letter 3 years in a row.The only difference was the dates.A coach from Ohio U and a couple of directional school coaches host a "christmas showcase" at Northwoods High School in Orange County.Basically, It's a fundraiser for the coaches ! Christmas in SoCal !

Look at the roster of University of Ohio.How many SoCal or NoCal players do you see ? The answer is zero. Go back in time and the answer is still zero.

Off the top of my head here are midwest D1 schools that actively recruit San Diego/Orange County players:Indiana,Purdue,Michigan,Kent State,Nebraska,Valparaiso.Coaches from these schools(and more) are always in SoCal during the fall.

Ah, that was my first suspicion. Maybe we'll make use of the cell phone number in order to see if this is for real. 

Last edited by SluggerDad
Originally Posted by bobbyaguho:

Sluggerdad,

Just an FYI SluggerDad, my 2017 got a similar letter for a couple of NY showcases that they are holding in November.

The coach responded to my son and was honest enough to admit  that they hadn't seen him play and hadn't looked at any video of him.   He  did say that they are still actively looking for  a few 2015's.   So the kid wrote back and sent him some video.  Probably nothing will come of this.  But it was at least a little refreshing that he responded and responded honestly.   Wonder how often that happens? 

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

I'll say this.  I am sure they would love to get some Ca, kids in their program.  But Athens OH will be like going to the moon for a Ca. kid. 

Yeah, but this particular California  kid might well be willing to go to the moon to play baseball, especially D1 baseball.  That's how much he is determined to keep playing. 

Slugger.....don't take Golfman's post the wrong way.  Athens is a great college town...but that's about all there is there....the college, and not much more.  It is only an hour and a half from Columbus (nearest major city...and airport) and Ohio State and they have a bus that runs from Athens to Columbus/OSU on Fridays and Sundays so if he wanted to go "to the city" for a weekend it'll cost him 10 bucks for the ride

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

I'll say this.  I am sure they would love to get some Ca, kids in their program.  But Athens OH will be like going to the moon for a Ca. kid. 

Yeah, but this particular California  kid might well be willing to go to the moon to play baseball, especially D1 baseball.  That's how much he is determined to keep playing. 

As buckeye pointed out, it isn't a dig at Ohio U and Athens.  Just a very different part of the US from CA.  If your kid really is interested, I would look at it.  It is a small college town in a very nice remote part of the state.  It's "coal country" so its socioeconomics reflect it.  Imo, I think it is a  great college environment.  Good luck. 

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

SluggerDad....I just read where a 2016 MIF from Colorado has committed to Ohio U....looks like they're heading your direction...

I'll say one thing for them.  They are persistent. Coach and my son have had quite an e-mail exchange over  the last few days.  Still don't know if they are serious.  But the kid is a little intrigued.  Does seem like they are trying to expand their recruiting horizons.  Which makes some sense.  There are TONS of good players out here in CA.  And many are ripe for the picking, since there are  not really that many spots for D1 players here and the competition is really fierce, as we  have been finding out all summer and fall. But not a lot of CA kids contemplate going to places like Ohio, to name just one and not to pick on Ohio,  as a default, just on their own.  But I bet more kids would  if more schools would aggressively pursue kids out this way. 

I think any dialogue that a 2016 can have with a college coach at this point is great.  First it genuinely could lead somewhere and second if it doesn't it is a great opportunity for them to get used to corresponding with coaches.

I have mentioned before the mid major schools that my son was recruited by really wanted him to express that he was interested in them.  Seemed very important to them.

In this case I think it is great your son has done that and reached out. Who knows where it might lead.

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

SluggerDad....I just read where a 2016 MIF from Colorado has committed to Ohio U....looks like they're heading your direction...

I'll say one thing for them.  They are persistent. Coach and my son have had quite an e-mail exchange over  the last few days.  Still don't know if they are serious.  But the kid is a little intrigued.  Does seem like they are trying to expand their recruiting horizons.  Which makes some sense.  There are TONS of good players out here in CA.  And many are ripe for the picking, since there are  not really that many spots for D1 players here and the competition is really fierce, as we  have been finding out all summer and fall. But not a lot of CA kids contemplate going to places like Ohio, to name just one and not to pick on Ohio,  as a default, just on their own.  But I bet more kids would  if more schools would aggressively pursue kids out this way. 

One thing I will say....don't look at it as going just to Ohio....look at it as your son having a chance to see a lot of the Southeast US too.  It's cold here in OH...all the way thru March.  Most Ohio schools will have 15+ away games before they have a game at home.  OU played their first 20 on the road last year...and that's about normal for a school here in the Midwest...Florida, NC, GA, Virgina, etc, etc are the most likely sites for those early season games.   If your son does end up out here, we'll likely meet up at some point.  My son is committed to Bowling Green...also in the MAC.  When you and your son come to BG, I'll introduce you guys to the best pizza in Ohio...and it's on me....lol

My son just got contacted by Ohio U in the same way as the post that began this thread.  Other schools in attendance at the showcase camp include Richmond, VCU, JMU, and Radford.  My son got contacted because he filled out the recruiting questionnaire for Ohio U (at all of these schools actually), but I just don't know if it would be worthwhile or a waste of time and money to sign him up.  Here's the quick line...

Son is 2022, finishing junior year

5'11" 180 lbs

Legit switch-hitter, mid-90s BP exit velo from both sides, hardly ever Ks

Mid-to-high 80s throwing velo

Slow 60 time, but working now with the best speed coach possible

High GPA, will graduate HS with 10 total AP classes and a near-4.0 GPA

Versatile in the field, good utility player

We have a limited budget, especially since going to Atlanta for a weeklong tourney in July with son's really tremendous travel squad

Simply based on all of the above, any advice for us about this showcase camp in our neck of the woods, hsbaseballweb?

Both of these sound like either a Junior Day or Top 50 camp invite. Son gets those from schools he’s never contacted/ reached out to as part of a mass email list, it seems.

He was going to do a Junior Day event last fall, but it was rescheduled and he couldn’t make the new date. So I can’t speak to how useful/good it would be.

That said, we were not impressed by how they handled the reschedule. Due to the rain the day & night before, it was quite obvious that the event wasn’t going to be able to go off. Yet the players all arrived to a soaked field, with 1B and home underwater. Still went through reg, etc. only to cancel it an hour and a half after everyone arrived. Frustrating and unprofessional.

Others on this board may be able to provide input on the events themselves. But I would put the $ toward a PBR event or similar that can provide real metrics you can shop.

My son got this too, when he was a sophomore (that was in 2016).  He had never filled out anything for them.  He sent his usual email expressing interest, giving his basic info, saying he couldn't attend the showcase, filled out their questionnaire, never heard from them personally.  So, I think it's just that they have a really good email program.

If your son is interested in Ohio, have him contact them directly and ask, but know that they may simply say, "come to our camp and let us see you".  The best is to have his travel coach ask, he will get a straight answer.

If I remember, my son also got emails from another school that was going to attend the same showcase, so I figured that the showcase organizers had made materials available to the schools and asked them to contact players. It seems a good way to drive up attendance (i.e. revenue).

If your son is interested in Ohio, have him contact them directly and ask, but know that they may simply say, "come to our camp and let us see you".  The best is to have his travel coach ask, he will get a straight answer.

NotMadeOf$$ - 100% agree that you will get clearer direction and interest level from the travel coach asking Ohio Univ coach as well as JMU, VCU, JMU and Radford coaches....Coach to Coach if you will.  Typically, this is why you are paying the travel coach to assist you with these sort of things.  This has been my experience when you are in the initial interest phase of recruiting.

Additionally, I would be cautious about describing or listing your son this way:

"Versatile in the field, good utility player"

This is a double edge sword.  I would list his primary position and secondary position.  You want to impress the college coaches.   This could be viewed that he hasn't won a high school position.  That may or may not be the case, but people have different perspectives.   

Your son looks to be a very academic minded student with some switch hitting skills.   I'd try to make sure you lead with those competencies for schools that put a lot of value on that.  JMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.